Eric Perez

Mr Plow

11 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Neither Tonga, Fiji or Samoa are tier 1 nations.

Tonga is now aren't they? so them and NZ, and bedsides Tonga vs. Samoa is a better game than Tonga Oz no? the whole Polynesian rivalry and all. i certainly enjoyed that game the most from the WC.

1 minute ago, Krzzystuff said:

Tonga is now aren't they? so them and NZ, and bedsides Tonga vs. Samoa is a better game than Tonga Oz no? the whole Polynesian rivalry and all. i certainly enjoyed that game the most from the WC.

There are only three tier 1 nations. England, Australia and New Zealand. Nobody else matters.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

There are only three tier 1 nations. England, Australia and New Zealand. Nobody else matters.

Well here in Canada we don't give a ######. Tonga vs. the others would be better...so suck it tier 1! Watching Sims play for Fiji would be great.

8 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

Well here in Canada we don't give a ######. Tonga vs. the others would be better...so suck it tier 1! Watching Sims play for Fiji would be great.

You do that those are tiny countries with less population than Hamilton, right?

10 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

really interesting interview that. Especially the comments on other clubs coming in and on Canada/Toronto bidding for tier 1 internationals and other events.

Disappointing if the SL clubs are prepared to sacrifice the global rights for £1.8m. Not much faith in your product there.

What more do you expect from clubs whose management worries about such trivial things as how many visiting fans will come to their stadium and buy their tickets, programs, food and/or drinks?

21 hours ago, Krzzystuff said:

The thing that is really great about watching games like Tonga vs Samoa, a PNG game, etc, is the crowd and the atmosphere at the game, now maybe I've totally misjudged this and I'm wrong, but somehow I think it's really unlikely that a whole bunch of PI's are going to attend a match in Toronto... So the main thing that makes those games so exciting to watch almost certainly wouldn't be a factor in Canada...

That and the fact that most of the PI nations probably can't afford to participate in a game in Canada, so they'd need their expenses bankrolled to take part, and unless Argyle is willing to spend an extra $100k or so to get the game off the ground or he or the nation in question can convince the NRL to cover some of their costs (which is unlikely to happen unless the NRL stand to gain from the game), means that the idea probably isn't a goer.

BTW, the Roos may get a bad wrap (particularly in England), but don't let that BS cloud your judgement. Like it or not, or whether or not you think their style of play is particularly entertaining or not, they are pretty much the best team in world and have been for decades. I'm not suggesting that you should be clamoring to see them play or whatever, just saying that you shouldn't count them out cause of stupid stuff and that you'd probably really enjoy attending one of their games if you got the chance. Besides the Roos are starting to go through a period of turnover in the roster (particularly in the most important positions) as a bunch of the stalwarts retire, so there're a few years coming up where they'll be weak and vulnerable as the next generation of players fight to fill the gaps left by those that are retiring and cement themselves into the team, so if anybody unexpected was going to get one over them now would be the time to do it...

I just got round to listening to this and Argyle sounds like a man very committed to Toronto and the sport. I am even more excited about the whole Toronto Wolfpack project and the future for the game in Canada after listening to that. He seems a very astute individual and certainly has a short, medium and long term plan. Great stuff. I didn't think much about one of the interviewers who didn't seem to have a clue and hadn't done any homework but the other seemed very positive about the club and the game in general.

Archived