Hunslet 10 Newcastle 46

Eyrie

Garbage, worst game of the year, did this team want to win today!!!! 

While Gary Thornton’s the head coach I won’t be renewing my season ticket. The standard of rugby this year’s been very poor and not worth the £800+ following Hunslet. We just don’t know how to play as a team.

all we’ve got is a good goal kicker, a lovely little stadium and free parking if you don’t mind the drug paraphernalia condoms and #### wipes.

Yep, plenty of disappointed and disillusioned people after the game yesterday, and with some justification. The squad, which was built to be and good enough to challenge for a top three place - and was well on course for that at the start of July - now almost certainly failing to make the playoffs. Yes there have been injuries, but every team has them this time of the season. If nothing else, yesterday showed that the 'back up' players are not good enough to come in when we have a few injuries.

Anybody prepared to have a guess at the outcome of the final match at Coventry?

Well done to Newcastle, good team I thought yesterday. 

After what seemed like a good appointment it seems like York fans were right about Thornton. His style of play is slow and one dimensional. We have some good players in the squad but no spark or pace. We made Newcastle look like world beaters yesterday and were outplayed in every department. I personally will take a breather and see if I really want to carry on watching lack lustre performances in a sport that doesn't seem to have any real direction.

It was disappointing. It got off to a bad start when the ref allowed a 2 man ball steal to put Newcastle on their way. Newcastles No.7 was outstanding and a class above any player I've seen this season @ South Leeds. The absence of Jimmy Watson & Muffa tacking ability was all to apparent. Newcastle's line speed and defense was extremely good. the one guy I though gave everything was Tonks. No chance of making the play offs now.

The bigger problem is what do we the supporters want? we have seen Keighley, Barrow & Whitehaven in dire financial trouble by paying more than they can afford on players. The so called super league "new deal" will mean even less money for lower leagues like ours. I for one am happy that we are a supporters owned club and grateful for those on our board who try to keep the "wheels on the bus". Also I am happy with Garry Thornton. He has recruited some good players. Have we such short memories that we forget all the good games. We beat Oldham home and away. beat whitehaven & workington @ home and Keighley & Doncaster away. lost to York by 2 points and gave Bradford a game. Many of these teams use duel registration but Hunslet do not. Sometimes i think we as fans and members need get our expectations in line with the fact that we are a small RL supporters club. we are short on resources and i for one do not want to spend money we do not have and put our club at risk of folding. 

Agree Newcastle’s no. 7 was outstanding, kicking game was super league standard, fast and good with the ball an old fashioned scrum half. What I didn’t like about him was he conned the ref. Several times he pretended to be injured, one laying motionless for over a minute, to me unconscious. The ref. had just awarded a try, Newcastle’s water carrier who’d just treated Remy Marginet ( no.7 ) with the doctor approached the ref. RM immediately sat up got to his feet and kick the goal. The ref. then put one of our players on report. In my opinion referees should speed the games up by removing injured players, RM looked to have been knocked unconscious and should’ve been removed for a head injury. I don’t know how Newcastle signed an international scrum half, maybe he’s a problem player.

1 hour ago, Eyrie said:

Agree Newcastle’s no. 7 was outstanding, kicking game was super league standard, fast and good with the ball an old fashioned scrum half. What I didn’t like about him was he conned the ref. Several times he pretended to be injured, one laying motionless for over a minute, to me unconscious. The ref. had just awarded a try, Newcastle’s water carrier who’d just treated Remy Marginet ( no.7 ) with the doctor approached the ref. RM immediately sat up got to his feet and kick the goal. The ref. then put one of our players on report. In my opinion referees should speed the games up by removing injured players, RM looked to have been knocked unconscious and should’ve been removed for a head injury. I don’t know how Newcastle signed an international scrum half, maybe he’s a problem player.

maybe we want promotion so are paying decent wages to get promoted, just my opinion though.

I never expected to win with the team we had out but to get hammered 10 -46 was ridiculous. Once again outplayed at half back and the prop Vince Rennie made more yards himself than the combined Hunslet pack . The Toon looked a decent outfit as we found out when beaten up there and only last week posted 50 against Worky, I think the most galling fact was when a certain winger collected the ball over 50 yards out and terrorised our defence to score one of the best wingers tries ive seen for many a year , if only we had a big strong winger who could score like that .....guess what , we had and he never had a decent pass in the few games he got to play for us before being deemed not good enough and given away .....well played Mo Agoro that must have been a sweet moment, it could only happen at Hunslet .

19 hours ago, Hunslet Miner said:

It was disappointing. It got off to a bad start when the ref allowed a 2 man ball steal to put Newcastle on their way. Newcastles No.7 was outstanding and a class above any player I've seen this season @ South Leeds. The absence of Jimmy Watson & Muffa tacking ability was all to apparent. Newcastle's line speed and defense was extremely good. the one guy I though gave everything was Tonks. No chance of making the play offs now.

The bigger problem is what do we the supporters want? we have seen Keighley, Barrow & Whitehaven in dire financial trouble by paying more than they can afford on players. The so called super league "new deal" will mean even less money for lower leagues like ours. I for one am happy that we are a supporters owned club and grateful for those on our board who try to keep the "wheels on the bus". Also I am happy with Garry Thornton. He has recruited some good players. Have we such short memories that we forget all the good games. We beat Oldham home and away. beat whitehaven & workington @ home and Keighley & Doncaster away. lost to York by 2 points and gave Bradford a game. Many of these teams use duel registration but Hunslet do not. Sometimes i think we as fans and members need get our expectations in line with the fact that we are a small RL supporters club. we are short on resources and i for one do not want to spend money we do not have and put our club at risk of folding. 

We have played some poor games and some great ones. I agree mostly with Hunslet Miner on his comments above. Personally like him in that i do think that Gary Thornton has mostly done a good job , best coach we have had in recent years. And he has brought some good players in to our club , we never would have gone to Oldham  & Doncaster and won there like we did do with the other coaches of recent years. The bad thing is we don't seem to have decent cover when our first team choices are injured as shown up badly last Sunday.

A good friend of mine has a nephew who plays for Newcastle thunder. The owner of Newcastle thunder also owns Newcastle RUFC. Looks like he is putting a great deal of money into players wages with the aim of getting 1st into the championship and then maybe super league.

On the day, I thought Thunders No.7 looked to good for our league so I looked him up. see below.

Rémy Marginet is a French rugby league footballer who plays for the Newcastle Thunder in the League One. He is a French international. His position is Scrum-half.

He has previously played for the Catalans Dragons, Featherstone Rovers and Palau Broncos and his home town club AS Saint Estève. Marginet was briefly signed by Hemel Stags, but the moved did not happen and he never played for the StagsHe instead moved to the Sheffield Eagles, where he made nine appearances and scored three tries. After his spell in England, Marginet returned to his home country and former club the Palau Broncos.

He played for France in the 2014 European Cup. He finished as the tournament's top points scorer, scoring 5 tries and kicking 14 goals. He played for France again in 2015, representing them in a test match against England and in the 2015 European Cup tournament. He also traveled to Australia as part of the French squad for the 2017 World cup as a replacement for Guillaume Bonnet, he scored a two point goal kick in a 52-6 loss to the hosts.

His made his debut for Newcastle Thunder on the 27th May 2018 when playing against Workington Town RL in a game that they lost 38-18 but Remy scored two tries himself.

2 hours ago, Hunslet Miner said:

A good friend of mine has a nephew who plays for Newcastle thunder. The owner of Newcastle thunder also owns Newcastle RUFC. Looks like he is putting a great deal of money into players wages with the aim of getting 1st into the championship and then maybe super league.

On the day, I thought Thunders No.7 looked to good for our league so I looked him up. see below.

Rémy Marginet is a French rugby league footballer who plays for the Newcastle Thunder in the League One. He is a French international. His position is Scrum-half.

He has previously played for the Catalans Dragons, Featherstone Rovers and Palau Broncos and his home town club AS Saint Estève. Marginet was briefly signed by Hemel Stags, but the moved did not happen and he never played for the StagsHe instead moved to the Sheffield Eagles, where he made nine appearances and scored three tries. After his spell in England, Marginet returned to his home country and former club the Palau Broncos.

He played for France in the 2014 European Cup. He finished as the tournament's top points scorer, scoring 5 tries and kicking 14 goals. He played for France again in 2015, representing them in a test match against England and in the 2015 European Cup tournament. He also traveled to Australia as part of the French squad for the 2017 World cup as a replacement for Guillaume Bonnet, he scored a two point goal kick in a 52-6 loss to the hosts.

His made his debut for Newcastle Thunder on the 27th May 2018 when playing against Workington Town RL in a game that they lost 38-18 but Remy scored two tries himself.

Looks like work commitments prevents him from playing every week or he’s injury prone, looks like he’s only played 4-5 times since signing. I think he’s good enough for super league but something doesn’t ring true, has he got attitude problems. When playing he scores tries, creates tries and kicks goals who wouldn’t want him in there team. If fit and playing very good chance Newcastle will be playing championship rugby 2020 but I predict he’ll move on.

Archived