‘League 1 South’

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they are referring to it as a southern League 1 that implies it will be regarded as the same level of the pyramid as the existing League 1, particularly as they also say it will be semi pro, which makes me wonder whether Skolars, Coventry, Hemel and West Wales will move sideways to this southern league leaving behind 8 northern clubs in the existing league, which might become known as League 1 North. Add 4 new clubs to the southern one and they've got 2 parallel geographic leagues of 8.

Probably a good idea in terms of matching clubs with the right level of opposition on a regular basis. Matchups between teams at opposite ends of the current League 1 are boring for the top clubs and chastening for the lower ones and regionalising League 1 would address that as well as getting a few more expansion clubs up and running.

It would raise 3 questions though.

Firstly the issue of playing the same clubs 3 or 4 times a season as much discussed regarding Super League of late.

Secondly, given that for the time being there is almost certainly going to be a large disparity in the standard of the northern and southern leagues, how do you keep open a pathway for promotion to the Championship for the southern clubs without thrusting them in before they are ready and ahead of northern clubs who just miss out in their own comp but might clearly be a better side than the southern champions and consequently feel very disgruntled? Perhaps the southern champions could be worked in to the northern play offs? Furthermore what happens if a southern club ever gets promoted and only northern clubs come down, does the most southerly northern club get lumbered with it or is there another solution?

And thirdly, having finally just agreed on a new structure after much acrimony, would this require another vote? I assume so, but probably just for Championship and League 1 clubs i'd imagine, and wouldn't need to affect the recently agreed promotion and relegation format between the two divisions for the end of the current season so perhaps not so controversial as long as it can be held quickly so everyone knows what they're dealing with for 2019.

All of which may be irrelevant as it may not bear any resemblance to how this new league sits within the game, but given the terminology used to describe it and semi pro status attributed to it, i thought it was worth prompting some discussion on.

The actual post on Facebook suggests more of a funded amateur comp rather than semi pro.  Sounds more like the old conference League south with some funded travel.

AE6261A6-53FE-41E0-94B9-98E15F488296.jpeg

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1 minute ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

The actual post on Facebook suggests more of a funded amateur comp rather than semi pro.  Sounds more like the old conference League south with some funded travel.

AE6261A6-53FE-41E0-94B9-98E15F488296.jpeg

Sounds like the current league1 set up.

Will be interesting to see if southern clubs prefer to remain in L1...

Would be a huge error of judgement if Skolars or Coventry would be shunted into this league. I’d also be very shocked to see either willingly moving their first grade into this competition. I’d hope that both, finances permitting, could have some sort of presence in the new amateur league, perhaps Wests Warriors or the Chargers if Skolars aren’t keen. 

I wonder if this would be a good move for Hemel and West Wales? It would give Hemel an opportunity to go “home” and to start picking local based players again and it would, hopefully, be a more level playing field for the Raiders. Losing those two would also drive the level of competition in League One through the roof, too. 

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Would be a huge error of judgement if Skolars or Coventry would be shunted into this league. I’d also be very shocked to see either willingly moving their first grade into this competition. I’d hope that both, finances permitting, could have some sort of presence in the new amateur league, perhaps Wests Warriors or the Chargers if Skolars aren’t keen. 

I wonder if this would be a good move for Hemel and West Wales? It would give Hemel an opportunity to go “home” and to start picking local based players again and it would, hopefully, be a more level playing field for the Raiders. Losing those two would also drive the level of competition in League One through the roof, too. 

I agree about Coventry and Skolars, I think they’ll be more competitive in a 12 team league next season.

As for Hemel and WWR being at a regional would be best for them but who else is going to be in this league? 

Has got to be the way forward as long as it forms part of a pyramid to let all clubs progress as far as they want/are able to go

I seel little point in the likes of Hemel and WWR travelling miles each week and getting hammered. It does nothing for them, their opposition or the league. A regional league allows for more local rivalries, reduced travel costs, a more level competition and a place for teams to find their feet before progressing.

The issue re fixtures is an issue though especially if have an 8 team North and 8 team south split. Playing the other conference defeats the object and would leave cross conference games to an end of year play off. 

Longer term would need to look for new clubs north and south. The North could probably use SL reserve teams but the South would need start ups. 

In the short term why not 3 x 7 = 21 games then cross conference play off/grand final. If needs be have a whole league cup competition with the final played as a curtain raiser at Wembley to help ticket sales generally and give the fans a day out.

35 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I agree about Coventry and Skolars, I think they’ll be more competitive in a 12 team league next season.

As for Hemel and WWR being at a regional would be best for them but who else is going to be in this league? 

I’m not au fait with amateur Rugby League in the South tbh but I’d like to see a Welsh team, a London/South East team, a couple of Midlands teams and a couple of South West based sides. 

Archived