Smart phone/technology addiction

I know it's Paul Joseph Watson (warning) but on this occasion I believe he's totally correct. There is a major downside to technology and it is effecting society in a negative way.

I know some won't want to watch this video because of who made it but I think it's worth watching anyway.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

I know it's Paul Joseph Watson (warning) but on this occasion I believe he's totally correct. There is a major downside to technology and it is effecting society in a negative way.

I know some won't want to watch this video because of who made it but I think it's worth watching anyway.

You're right. I won't watch it. But plenty of people have made similar comments and, mostly, I think they're talking nonsense.

Not because some people aren't addicted to being validated by apps, online gaming or whatever … but because whilst the tech changes there's nothing particularly new about a chattering class judging people who use what's new or what wasn't around when they were growing up.

Go into any waiting room and everyone will be on their phone. What mindless zombies! Or, more likely, here's someone reading this forum, there's someone keeping up with work emails, over there a couple planning their next holiday. It beats hoping that the battered copies of Autocar and Motor won't be ten years out of date.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

29 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Stories like this one are the modern day equivalent of the microwaving a pet stories of old.

they are nothing about the technology and all about fear of change

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-microwaved-pet/

No one will get in those new fangled train things ... people will explode if they travel above walking pace . They actually said that at the start of the locomotive age !

3 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

The real problem with these obsessives is when Rugby/Football is on the box in the pub , they take up all the best seats and don`t watch any of it because they`re too busy staring into their b****y phones !

They're 'avvin' a bit o' the in-play (with Ray).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, andyscoot said:

image.jpeg.81fe5cc211a40aa134f412de77f7a73b.jpeg

People don't change, only the tool used to pass time.

And you never need to look hard to find a tool on the Internet. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

I'd rather not give Paul Joseph Watson the views so I won't be watching either.

However, I think people have been too quick to jump on the luddite defence of technology. There are significant issues arising from the overuse of smart phones IMO.

There is a difference in scale between people reading newspapers to pass the time and people looking at their phones. One passes the time when people are bored and the other takes people's attention all the time, bored or not. The aim of a newspaper seller was to sell you a newspaper; the aim of a smart phone app or internet page is to keep your attention for as long as possible and they are getting better every day. It is an attention economy and they are running huge experiments constantly to see what works best at keeping it (look up AB testing).

Most people are blissfully unaware how many tech companies are manipulating human psychology to get you to stay on their site as long as possible. Take one small example, if you have used twitter you might have noticed that when you refresh your feed there is a slight delay if you have a notification. This isn't some lag, it was put in on purpose because it makes you update your feed more often and therefore check your twitter more. 

Somebody made a good point about people looking at their phones at games. I've had the experience where I've been looking forward to watching a game or a film but had it ruined because I've been messing about on my phone and never got into it. Then there is the effect it has on personal relationships, where people are too engrossed in their phones and neglecting their loved ones as a result.

8 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

However, I think people have been too quick to jump on the luddite defence of technology. There are significant issues arising from the overuse of smart phones IMO.

There is a difference in scale between people reading newspapers to pass the time and people looking at their phones. One passes the time when people are bored and the other takes people's attention all the time, bored or not. The aim of a newspaper seller was to sell you a newspaper; the aim of a smart phone app or internet page is to keep your attention for as long as possible and they are getting better every day. It is an attention economy and they are running huge experiments constantly to see what works best at keeping it (look up AB testing).

Most people are blissfully unaware how many tech companies are manipulating human psychology to get you to stay on their site as long as possible. Take one small example, if you have used twitter you might have noticed that when you refresh your feed there is a slight delay if you have a notification. This isn't some lag, it was put in on purpose because it makes you update your feed more often and therefore check your twitter more. 

Somebody made a good point about people looking at their phones at games. I've had the experience where I've been looking forward to watching a game or a film but had it ruined because I've been messing about on my phone and never got into it. Then there is the effect it has on personal relationships, where people are too engrossed in their phones and neglecting their loved ones as a result.

A lot of those are valid points but, again, they have been made about many other things in the past.

I think the technology is amazing. We have a newspaper, encyclopedia, phone, dictionary, history books, maps, calculators, camera, television, radio etc in our hands. All of these are accepted as positive things that enrich our lives, not sure why they would be frowned upon being used more and more. This criticism does come across as fussy duddy snobbery.

But... as with all good things they can be addictive and be a problem. My wife and I have had to make a conscious effort recently to put our phones to one side in the evening to ensure we give our daughter attention and the same for each other.

But tbh, my parents would just be the same with tv, radio, newspaper etc.

47 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the technology is amazing. We have a newspaper, encyclopedia, phone, dictionary, history books, maps, calculators, camera, television, radio etc in our hands. All of these are accepted as positive things that enrich our lives, not sure why they would be frowned upon being used more and more. This criticism does come across as fussy duddy snobbery.

But... as with all good things they can be addictive and be a problem. My wife and I have had to make a conscious effort recently to put our phones to one side in the evening to ensure we give our daughter attention and the same for each other.

I think you're absolutely right on the fussy duddy snobbery point.

Way back in the dim and distant path I worked in retail for what was then a major high street chain (now gone the way of the dodo in favour of t'internet. That's never going to catch on) 

Now, this was around the time of the mass popularisation of microwaves and I recall vividly being informed by a number of fairly well to do people that no proper cook would ever use a microwave and they wouldn't have one in the house. It's just a fad, they'll be gone in a year. you mark my words. The other domestic appliance to meet with disapproval was the dishwasher. Apparently it's the height of laziness to get a machine to wash your dishes, I did get a bollocking once for asking one particularly annoying woman if she bashed her clothes on a rock to get them clean. Turned out she had a twin tub bought in 1952, still working, no need for all these "systems" and "programs". It's just something else to go wrong.

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I think you're absolutely right on the fussy duddy snobbery point.

Way back in the dim and distant path I worked in retail for what was then a major high street chain (now gone the way of the dodo in favour of t'internet. That's never going to catch on) 

Now, this was around the time of the mass popularisation of microwaves and I recall vividly being informed by a number of fairly well to do people that no proper cook would ever use a microwave and they wouldn't have one in the house. It's just a fad, they'll be gone in a year. you mark my words. The other domestic appliance to meet with disapproval was the dishwasher. Apparently it's the height of laziness to get a machine to wash your dishes, I did get a bollocking once for asking one particularly annoying woman if she bashed her clothes on a rock to get them clean. Turned out she had a twin tub bought in 1952, still working, no need for all these "systems" and "programs". It's jsut something else to go wrong.

There is the other side of too many people with no real knowledge having idealist "hopes" for technology though, especially in the workplace where too many people treat vague technology promises as if it were already delivered and ready to use.  We could use Brexit as an example but a more personal one is that I'm fed up of doctors and senior managers going on about how we should be investing in AI* and "big data"** when their personal IT knowledge doesn't even extend to being able to change their password without IT Support assistance.

I had one senior clinician complain about IT costs for server refresh, he said "just stick it all in the cloud!"  I had to explain that "the cloud" is just someone else's servers that you have to pay to use.

* AI in modern IT salesman parlance is a computer system that's programmed to see patterns.  Much like a fancy version of a ZX Spectrum BASIC IF command.  They've taken their normal programmes that look for patterns and rebadged it as AI then quadrupled the price.

** "Big data" is just that, lots of data.  The very best analytic "big data" programmes use all the electronic stuff you leave around and try to make educated guesses about your behaviour patterns.  The run-of-the-mill programmes make wild-assed guesses that are as accurate as tossing a coin.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

16 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

What balanced views.

I think they are very clever, because I agree.

To a certain extent, it is no worse than television and computer games.  I think it can be irritating for people to not actually know what people are engrossed by.  IT gives a little FOMO perhaps., rather like not quite being able to hear a joke.

The internet is remarkable as a source of knowledge.  People dismiss Wikipedia, but were happy to take the Encylopedia Britannica as gospel as there was not other source.  It is actually progress.   A man with a watch knows the time, a man with two is never sure.

BUt, like there are and were TV addicts, it can be tempting to use screen time as caffeine.  When you are tired, but your mind is whirring, you need to slow down your mind - but a mindless, effortless stimulant will be tempting (internet browsing, coffee, TV).  As a grown up, you have to know this and be responsible for yourself and kids, which is not easy.

PS: That said, about four years ago, I was picked up by two very attractive ladies outside a club and went to a party.  I actually left as everyone on the party (and they were a lot younger than me) was just playing on their phones.  They were actually rather taken aback by my leaving (as, in hindsight, am I).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Another example of random bragging here sorry Bob!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: 

Until I end the story being an idiot! 

(I do like living in Denmark though).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived