Is Nigel happy with what he left behind?

iangidds

23 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Some good things happened under Wood; plenty of bad things too. I wouldn't consider myself knowledgeable enough to say which ones he had the most influence in. The 2013 World Cup, and prep for the next one, are definitely good things that happened during his tenure.

Ten years ago, though, I was definitely one of those who would stand up for the RFL as not getting a fair deal. Over that period, there have been enough cock-ups and failures to erode my confidence quite significantly in them as an organisation - from Exiles and Stobarts, to the 8s and the loss of test matches in London.

The state of the international planning is probably my biggest frustration, despite us having some great things during this period. It is all still far too sporadic and random.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Wood has overseen a bad period in the history of our game in my opinion and may be happy what he has taken away with him but should be far from happy with what he has left behind.

The RFL has been poorly run,hasn’t communicated with the fans,has allowed major problems, such has referees leaving in mysterious circumstances,officials leaving very quickly, hardly any development officers in positions where they are needed, a shambles of the end of season fixtures,poor promotion of the sport in any  format etc.

The challenge cup has been devalued,season ticket holders are missing matches to late changes and Sky is running the show for most of the time, TV games now last ages longer than necessary and at some TV games the paying public can see a screen but not see anything on it yet can see the referee taking instructions from above, its either that or they are taking a phone call from someone.

All in all his legacy is not a good one.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Catalans was under Richard Lewis. Celtic Crusaders was under Wood's watch though.

The Magic Weekend isn't anything to shout about. It's a simple marketing gimmick that hasn't grown since Day 1 and still relies on the same fans that would go to watch their clubs at home anyway.

As for the rest it's pretty basic stuff in my book and any competent CEO would have achieved the same or better. Hopefully that would be without decimating the youth and amateur game and getting rid of development officers which happened with Wood.

And Sally Bolton was the key at that world cup. She got 8k to a midweek game in Bristol between 2 minor RL nations. Wood got only could get 20k to a double header with 3 of the world's best sides plus Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

And Sally Bolton was the key at that world cup. She got 8k to a midweek game in Bristol between 2 minor RL nations. Wood got only could get 20k to a double header with 3 of the world's best sides plus Scotland. 

How does Bolton get credit but not Wood for a success, but then when it is a failure, it is Wood rather than the Tournament Director for that tournament.

5 hours ago, iangidds said:

Reading about RL is often a hardship rather than a joy and I often despair at the situation we are in ; this generally leads to middle age anger and sadness as I look back through the Rose tinted glasses!

I come back to the main man in charge who appears to have walked away from the game after collecting a huge wage for 10 years as well as a handsome payoff and a new job probably very highly paid again! Did Nigel achieve any real good things? Or are we just focusing on the negative aspects of his regime?? (there are a lot)

I know Nigel is for expansion of the game but can anyone place a positive spin on his tenure? I would like to place my grumpy old man syndrome somewhere else !!

Were I to be here to defend Nigel Wood, I would say that he would point to his role as being like that the supporting stone of a bridge.  The pressure of both sides was on him. 

Once he was removed, we saw chaos, which he had previously been holding off.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

As I say, people will decide what they like and don't, but as we saw in 2017 and 2000 a successful World Cup isn't a given. He led that very well, and secured unprecedented government funding for 2021.

I meant to acknowledge the overlap with Richard Lewis, particularly on the Catalans point, but I remember a conversation I had with Lewis where he spoken very very highly of Wood, and indeed set Wood up to take over his role.

Magic is always up for debate, bu personally I think it has been a positive move for the game.

How is Magic a positive?

Has a new club been created in the aftermath of a Magic Week end, or a new set of regional leagues ?  Anything?

2 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

Wood recruited Sally Bolton.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Oh ###### on reading that lot I’m afraid I’m still going to have a serious amount of anger for Nigel , the playing figures standout for me above all the other negatives; think Nigel should have donated his payoff to an RL charity or as a gift to fund development officers; he has taken a lot and it’s become apparent he’s left us in the brown stuff

9 hours ago, iangidds said:

Reading about RL is often a hardship rather than a joy and I often despair at the situation we are in ; this generally leads to middle age anger and sadness as I look back through the Rose tinted glasses!

I come back to the main man in charge who appears to have walked away from the game after collecting a huge wage for 10 years as well as a handsome payoff and a new job probably very highly paid again! Did Nigel achieve any real good things? Or are we just focusing on the negative aspects of his regime?? (there are a lot)

I know Nigel is for expansion of the game but can anyone place a positive spin on his tenure? I would like to place my grumpy old man syndrome somewhere else !!

I think he's more happy with what he took with him, and who wouldn't be?!

14 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

The most telling stat off all. 

Player Participation

2007      131,900                         

2017       44,900

the 2007 figure was very  inaccurate, that helped with funding as were the overly ambitious targets. It was so inaccurate the RFL asked for the figure to be adjusted. Also bear in mind you are not comparing figures judged on the same criteria. Plenty of other sports suffered significant declines.

Just to disagree with the majority view in this thread, since Nigel walked away (or was pushed) the whole game seems to have gone into meltdown.  The new leaders, and we seem to have a lot of them, have all made big speeches that sound great but lack content.  They have used phrases such as 'commercial investment' over and over again to sound grown up but have not put forward 1 concrete idea on how to do that between them.

I can't be sure exactly what he did or didn't do, but on his watch these things happened;

• The most successful World Cup of all time - for all I know he may have spent all the time on his private yacht and letting other people get on with the work but it was on his watch.
  • The biggest TV deal ever for RL in the UK.  ( he even had the foresight to lock the chairmen into a room for the day to vote on it - we can see what would have happened if he hadn't have done that with the amount of bickering over the last year)
  • Some funding to Championship & League 1 that's been given a platform for these competitions to flourish. (In some weeks this season the Championship was being watched by 20-25k spectators a week)

Wood is an interesting guy. An accountant by trade and he left the sport in a financially sound position (yes he cut some costs that most disagree with). He is passionate about the game and does not put himself in the media spotlight. This can be seen as a negative by fans because they assume if he is out of sight, he’s not doing anything. Nigel was instrumental in building a bridge between SL and the whole game. His appointment to Chairman of RLIF whilst RFL CEO removed Australia’s stranglehold on the game and now sees the RLIF with 3 full time employees - more than they’ve ever had. 

His leadership style is to be calm, quiet, considered and then obviously manipulative to get the best result for all. 

I don't know what he did or didn't do, but I'm very annoyed that he got a £300k pay off. I'm not blaming him for that, but It's absolutely inexcusable for a sport like RL to end up in such a situation.

They're attempting to sell the England shirt for £50, which is an utter disgrace for a very plain shirt and a team that hardly ever plays. I sometimes think I'll get one because it would be helping, in a small way, rugby league. Then I think about stuff like his payoff and I think screw that. How many £50 shirts would need to be sold just to fund his payoff?

16 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

How is Magic a positive?

Has a new club been created in the aftermath of a Magic Week end, or a new set of regional leagues ?  Anything?

Agreed. Magic is rubbish. Really upsets me seeing all those fans enjoying themselves, meeting up with mates from other clubs, enjoying a weekend away, celebrating our sport. How dare they? This is rugby league - it's not meant to be fun.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Agreed. Magic is rubbish. Really upsets me seeing all those fans enjoying themselves, meeting up with mates from other clubs, enjoying a weekend away, celebrating our sport. How dare they? This is rugby league - it's not meant to be fun.

Thanks John, I couldn't be bothered.

It seems enjoying something and having fun is frowned on more than ever in the RL world.

Archived