23 Sept: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

4 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Our Welsh friend has no need to post their West Wales report on Sunday, as I've already done it:

It was not to be for the Raiders of West Wales as they lost 116-0 at the expansion Newcastle team. A match that owed a great deal to the standard of the referee, he of course who oversaw a record defeat to a DR laden York team. Meanwhile Hull KR - they of York DR fame - are safe in the top league for another season, perhaps they can help out the Rovers of Featherstone with some players. That's if York don't mind, with them being linked to the West Yorkshire counterparts.

Jason Payne, once a struggling coach himself, congratulated West Wales on their superb performance, and even John Kear, ex Wales coach and supporter of the game, phoned in his well wishes. If teams finished based on how nice they are to the furthest outpost club, Newcastle and Bradford would finish joint top and York bottom.

Meanwhile 90 miles away, the evil Peter Martini at York Press failed to mention West Wales in his report, perhaps the lesson has been learned and he's realised putting off players of the sport of rugby league in Llanelli is not in his job description.

As for the match itself, the Raiders were up against it from the off as another 27 players joined the Wales U12 team in Luxembourg, leaving the outpost side to start the game with 9 players. 9 is still less than the number York had on Dual Reg in the game against Whitehaven.

I live in constant expectation ahead of 2019.

?

Post of the season. Bloody hilarious. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Donny and Workington name strong squads for this weekend. We have Liam Harris on DR from Hull. I’m hoping this is only because Howden took a knock last week so we’re not risking him for the play offs. I would rather have had miloudi who actually looks like he wants to play for us rather than Harris. 

SATURDAY 22nd SEPTEMBER
London Skolars 18 v 36 Oldham
Coventry Bears 24 v 16 Hunslet

SUNDAY 23rd SEPTEMBER
Newcastle Thunder 58 v 0 West Wales Raiders
Doncaster 18 v 18 Workington Town
Keighley Cougars 24 v 25 North Wales Crusaders
York City Knights 40 v 14 Whitehaven
Bradford Bulls 88 v 8 Hemel Stags

Pretty sure everyone south of the South Leeds Stadium is looking forward to a Bears win tomorrow after seeing victory snatched away so cruelly at Whitehaven last Sunday. Was a great day out (and hope we get the chance to visit next year, sorry) but it was by far the hardest defeat to accept this season. Just because of the lateness of the deciding try.

So i think we can beat Hunslet tomorrow and crown what has been an exciting and very encouraging campaign. The win would be a fitting send-off for club stalwart James Geurtjens and team manager Conor Kelly who will be missed when we go again next time.

1 hour ago, Rob Nash said:

Still options to make a few changes to next week's 17. Not showing our entire hand just yet

Sneaky tricks ! We’ve rested Doran and Wilkes , and I’d be holding back Penky and Miller who is nursing a groin . Pity we can’t shake on it and call it a point each ...

Agreed. We've made a change at HB I wouldn't have expected normally. Think both clubs have named strong squads. Difficult. On one hand we want to keep winning. On a great run and winning is a habit if you want a cliche. I suspect we'll rest Frankie Mariano and Richard Owen from that 19. Madani, our French trialist may well play.

This has to be the most complete 80 minute performance yet by the Bears.

Superb defensive play, great game management, in control after five minutes and it stayed that way.

A credit to the coach Tom Tsang who has overseen a steady and incremental improvement in the team.

Next year should see more progress on the field and off. Attendance of 380 wasn't bad for a side starting the day in third bottom slot!!!!

Great result for the Bears. The best thing about today was that the result never really looked in doubt. It was a confident performance from a Bears team that know when they play to their potential they can compete in this league. With a lot of the first team already re-signed for next year things are looking up for the Bears. 

Yes, many congratulations to Coventry on a morale-boosting result.

This afternoon I shall make my fourth visit of the season to Bootham Crescent. Hoping for a close, competitive game. If that's going to happen, Whitehaven will need to improve substantially the performance I watched during their recent 20-0 defeat at Oldham. Hard to see anything other than a York win. Worthy champions, if that's how it turns out.

I’m glad the season is over from a Skolars perspective and I’m also quite glad Coventry have finished above them, as I think that really highlights how poor Skolars have been and how good Cov have been this year. 

Hopefully there’s some change over the off-season as ill discipline and poor fitness has seen them lose a grip of many a game they were firmly in this year. Annoyingly, there’s been signs there that this squad can do it (pushing Whitehaven close away twice, pushing York very close at home, pushing Hunslet close etc). 

10 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Great result for the Bears. The best thing about today was that the result never really looked in doubt. It was a confident performance from a Bears team that know when they play to their potential they can compete in this league. With a lot of the first team already re-signed for next year things are looking up for the Bears. 

Things are looking up for Coventry, if it wasn't for a handful of heavy defeats (eg Keighley away) I think Tom Tsang would've been an outside contender for coach of the year.

27 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Things are looking up for Coventry, if it wasn't for a handful of heavy defeats (eg Keighley away) I think Tom Tsang would've been an outside contender for coach of the year.

Yep Tom and his staff have done an excellent job considering the relative lack of experience in the squad. There's been a massive improvement for some players over the season. Some of these lads came through the trial match last year and many hadn't played in league one so to see the progress is really satisfying. 

Archived