Match Thread: Swinton v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 23rd September 2018

marklaspalmas

I sure we'll all be on tenterhooks to see who makes and who doesn't make the 19, make that 17, for Sunday.

Provided there are no injuries, it'll be same again.

We'll be favourites but they are battling to avoid a relegation playoff against the likes of Doncaster/Whitehaven, so with Leigh still winning, no room for slip ups.

John Davies plays his 200th career game.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:57 PM, marklaspalmas said:

I sure we'll all be on tenterhooks to see who makes and who doesn't make the 19, make that 17, for Sunday.

Provided there are no injuries, it'll be same again.

Squad should be announced shortly, but I wonder if we'll be missing Harry Newman, as he's playing for Leeds U19s in their Grand Final semi-final at St Helens tonight.

Squad unchanged

The King Street Solicitors 17-Man Squad: Ian Hardman, Dakota Whylie, Misi Taulapapa, Shaun Robinson, Anthony Thackeray, Matty Wildie, Danny Maskill, Luke Cooper, Josh Hardcastle, John Davies, James Lockwood, Sam Brooks, Brad Knowles, Connor Farrell, Keal Carlile, Harry Newman, Martyn Ridyard.

14 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I imagine Ridyard will start so with 5 halfbacks/hookers, the bench will look a bit lop-sided again.

Might depend on Hardman's fitness. Riddy seemed to enjoy playing at 1 last week so we might go with the same again and a 3-man bench, assuming Newman turns out again.

The good news about Newman from our point of view is that the Rhinos U19s final is next weekend rather than the following one ie clashes with the Barrow game rather than the Shield final v Leigh.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Might depend on Hardman's fitness. Riddy seemed to enjoy playing at 1 last week so we might go with the same again and a 3-man bench, assuming Newman turns out again.

The good news about Newman from our point of view is that the Rhinos U19s final is next weekend rather than the following one ie clashes with the Barrow game rather than the Shield final v Leigh.

I forgot about Hardman's knock. Yes, he may just warm the bench.

30 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Swinton feed says John Davies was in the sin bin during the period when they scored their three tries, but the yellow card wasn't mentioned at all on Rovers Radio? That said, there was no mention of Davies in the comms for 10 mins then he suddenly started getting mentioned again!

Sky score centre showed yellow card for him on 9mins

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Swinton feed says John Davies was in the sin bin during the period when they scored their three tries, but the yellow card wasn't mentioned at all on Rovers Radio? That said, there was no mention of Davies in the comms for 10 mins then he suddenly started getting mentioned again!

Misi was sinbinned, but not JD. I don't think either side scored during the 12-a-side match, though I may be wrong.

Davies got binned for a high tackle on the HB Fairclough - Davies was high but Fairclough milked it for all it was worth so all the media are correct in saying he got a yellow

Think swinton got 8 points while Davies was off the pitch and hed just come back on as they got their third try

Misi and one of theirs got a yellow in second half for a bit of handbags

But that aside we were poor for an hour in the game then powered away in the last 20 - maybe news filtered through to the players Batley were doing a job on Leigh as the coaching team kept asking for updates on that game and they were able to relax a bit in that last 20

Grant kept Swinton in it in the first half by caning the ###### out of us in the pens but then Grant caned the ###### out of Swinton in the last 30 mins to take them out of the game

By no means a great game but we kept up our end of the bargain by winning ultimately Batley did the job for us but we can now look forward to a home final

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I was out and unable to listen apart from the last 5 minutes. Commentary sounded like no Joanne, and disjointed with Joe combining commentary with his official media job at Rovers?

11 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

I was out and unable to listen apart from the last 5 minutes. Commentary sounded like no Joanne, and disjointed with Joe combining commentary with his official media job at Rovers?

Yes Joanne wasn't commentating today. It did sound a bit disjointed, with gaps in the commentary, but if Joe was also multitasking in his official role that would explain that.

I do think the combination of Joanne commentating with Joe chipping in works very well, Joanne has a good instinctive knowledge of what you need to convey to radio listeners  and that's not easy to do, and Joe does a good job as the summariser.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes Joanne wasn't commentating today. It did sound a bit disjointed, with gaps in the commentary, but if Joe was also multitasking in his official role that would explain that.

I do think the combination of Joanne commentating with Joe chipping in works very well, Joanne has a good instinctive knowledge of what you need to convey to radio listeners  and that's not easy to do, and Joe does a good job as the summariser.

Joe can't commentate or summarise at home games now that he's taken Ryan Sparks's job, he has too much else to do.

Archived