Bulldog inbound Jack Downs

Batley Bob

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Plenty of time left for signings of hookers

We have just let a very good Hooker go - doesn't make sense to me because I do  not think we will get a replacement as good as Davey , IMO of course !

If you are going to voluntarily release players you should make sure that you are "trading up" or at least maintaining the  "status quo" !

1 minute ago, nineoil said:

We have just let a very good Hooker go - doesn't make sense to me because I do  not think we will get a replacement as good as Davey , IMO of course !

If you are going to voluntarily release players you should make sure that you are "trading up" or at least maintaining the  "status quo" !

how do you know we havent got cover coming in, am sure those in charge might a thought about it for a moment or two, its all looking very interesting with the fresh players coming in for next season so hang fire and lets see just whos grabbing a doggies shirt for 2019. some players have had stick before they have even got a shirt on for a game,holy shmoly..:mail:

After reading the article in the Press, it wouldn't surprise me if Brambani isn't earmarked for the hooking role.

The article seemed to suggest, we will be running with Yates and Joufrett at halfback, which makes Brambani a pretty expensive benchwarmer if he is not playing at hooker.

7 minutes ago, phildog said:

BTW, when is the next signing due, thought someone said Sunday?

All being well tomorrow Monday, and Kevin said it.

2 hours ago, phildog said:

My sentiment exactly Dogfather, yet we're (allegedly) letting Farrell go who was a natural step in.

I'm not sure about that PD. I'm not disappointed to see Farrell go, he has reverted to type this season, and returned to being a penalty machine.

His distribution is not good enough and he is not quick enough off the mark to be a hooker IMO. He isn't big enough for a prop and doesn't break enough tackles to be a second rower, and he certainly hasn't shown the footballing ability to play at loose forward. 

I realise this view is not shared by many on the forum, lots seem to think he is great. Again only my opinion, but his only really good game for us in 2 seasons was the Toulouse match at home this year. I felt he was outstanding that day. As a supposed marquee signings (which he was touted as, when we signed him from Dewsbury) he has not produced enough good games to warrant anywhere near what we must be paying him. 

Whether Downs is a better bet remains to be seen, but I'd be very surprised if he gives away as many stupid penalties as Faz has this season.

I'm hoping we can bring in a really good hooker, a Beswick/Penkywicz type that will get the team on the front foot. A guy constantly shouting at play the ball for the opposition to get off, and our player on the floor to get up and play it quickly. One of our biggest failings this season has been the slow PTB's.  At times we have shown very little urgency to get up and play it quick. I'm hoping that will change next year and give Jouffret the space and time to work his magic.

Maybe Brambani can do that job? It would at least keep him in the game constantly organising things, which might be a really good thing. My only question mark is over the amount of defending required by hookers, and whether he is defensively strong enough.

• 2 months later...

Cant wait a few steady/ stale players replaced with guys who are itching to rip in

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Seeing as Dom is cited as captain as of last night, can't see him being a hooker subdtitute, captain should be on the field so maybe the assumption of Joufret and Yates as starting halves is off.

4 hours ago, phildog said:

Seeing as Dom is cited as captain as of last night, can't see him being a hooker subdtitute, captain should be on the field so maybe the assumption of Joufret and Yates as starting halves is off.

I think Diskin made it clear that Yates will be very much Brambani's understudy. He stated that he hoped that Yates would develop under Brambani. Leak suggested he would be doing longer minutes as hooker. 

Even roby is less effective after an hour. Def need 2 competent hookers at each battle

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Don’t write off both trialist hookers 

i think they’ll get a contract for the season plus I think we’ll be fine with our team in 2019... we are due a good year 

i’m impressed with our size too hopefully we are gonna hit all the right areas and not be far off 

9 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Don’t write off both trialist hookers 

i think they’ll get a contract for the season plus I think we’ll be fine with our team in 2019... we are due a good year 

i’m impressed with our size too hopefully we are gonna hit all the right areas and not be far off 

I didn't realise that we took it in turns to have good years. In which case we are well overdue across the valley.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived