Attendance Obsessives....

Is there any other sport where fans are more obsessed with attendances than Rugby League??? I find it really bizarre. Look at any sort of debate.... forums....social media etc. You'll always see crowds brought up. I seriously think that some fans would rather have a large attendance than win a game! 

I work with a fella who gets the League Express every Monday and reads out the attendances before the scores! 

Very, very weird mentality. Clubs make very little on the gate compared to the tv deal- lots of fans find this hard to fathom! 

Just now, Tim Streets tache said:

Is there any other sport where fans are more obsessed with attendances than Rugby League??? I find it really bizarre. Look at any sort of debate.... forums....social media etc. You'll always see crowds brought up. I seriously think that some fans would rather have a large attendance than win a game! 

I work with a fella who gets the League Express every Monday and reads out the attendances before the scores! 

Very, very weird mentality. Clubs make very little on the gate compared to the tv deal- lots of fans find this hard to fathom! 

You tell me how many sports are successful with no fans? Attendance figures are seen by many people as a temperature check for the health of the game. I agree it's not quite as black and white as that but there is certainly a correlation that can be drawn. 

11 minutes ago, Tim Streets tache said:

Tennis

That's not entirely true though is it - all the 4 'Majors' have large attendances as do many of the ATP tour events. Also, if you're going to try and draw parallel i'd suggest that can only really be done with other team sports. I should've maybe clarified that in my last post. 

I get what you mean, i really do. My rant is more at the people that think that it is the be all and all all though.

For example: The folk who moan that the only team (Toronto) that seem to have any marketing nous, own tv deal, decent brands sponsoring them, genuine business mold....Shouldn't be in Super League because they don't bring many away fans!! Utterly bizarre.

Also those that think that the league table should be determined by average attendance rather than what goes on on the pitch!

1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Bournemouth had ten thousand on Monday in the fabled Premier league and there was no mention of it in the press or TV, on here we would have over fifty pages on a thread. 

If a southern RL club got 10k to a game there certainly would be 50 pages. And probably a unicorn.

40 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

You tell me how many sports are successful with no fans? Attendance figures are seen by many people as a temperature check for the health of the game. I agree it's not quite as black and white as that but there is certainly a correlation that can be drawn. 

The County Championship ..... next question!

16 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Bournemouth had ten thousand on Monday in the fabled Premier league and there was no mention of it in the press or TV, on here we would have over fifty pages on a thread. 

Isn't that capacity, or close to it? They were a fourth tier club recently.

Anyway, a fair few football forums are taken up having a go at City, West Ham and Arsenal for empty seats at games.

It's not a whole sport necessarily. It's anything that feels existential threat.

Football is by far the world's most popular sport and yet the League of Ireland is horrendous for head counting because the league struggles. GAA get very healthy crowds but Dublin dominance has seen big event crowds down a little so this year had lots of head counting.

Unfortunately Rugby League seems to be in a constant state of existential threat.

Edit: also any sport or league in which tickets are a major source of income. Man City don't care about their relatively poor crowds because their attendance income is a drop in the ocean.

4 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

The problem RL has unlike any other sport, is that poor crowds are used to beat it down by the generally anti-RL media.

i find the people who are fans of RL use crowd numbers more to beat the game

13 minutes ago, Lobbygobbler said:

The problem RL has unlike any other sport, is that poor crowds are used to beat it down by the generally anti-RL media.

Low attendances are not very often commented on by the non-RL media. It is supported and funded by two of the three biggest media platforms outside of social media. Most of the beating down comes from the RL media. 

1 hour ago, Tim Streets tache said:

I get what you mean, i really do. My rant is more at the people that think that it is the be all and all all though.

For example: The folk who moan that the only team (Toronto) that seem to have any marketing nous, own tv deal, decent brands sponsoring them, genuine business mold....Shouldn't be in Super League because they don't bring many away fans!! Utterly bizarre.

Also those that think that the league table should be determined by average attendance rather than what goes on on the pitch!

Do either of those groups exist in real life though? Or is this a classic case of someone moaning about what they imagine other people might moan about? The Total RL pre-emptive moan!

1 hour ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Bournemouth didn't play on Monday. That said the stadium was well over 90% full and I doubt the tickets were on general sale

Archived