Widnes relegated

Mr Plow

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think they need relegation to regroup, rebuild at a lower level and get fans back on side. That team and squad needs a complete overhaul and they may even get an increase in attendances with a winning team. Watching a competitive team week in week out has to be more attractive to fans than the dross they have served up this season. The fans have already turned their back on a losing team.

1 minute ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I can see next season in the championship being a bit farcical,if widnes spend the 500k wisely and whoever from toronto/tolouse doesn't get promoted continue in the same vein,then the rest of us will just be making up numbers 

A couple of points to make:

1. They spent far more than that this season and it got them nowhere.

2. Leigh spent far more than that this season and it got them nowhere.

Money does not correlate to success, maybe they need to ask Halifax how they do things.

10 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

A couple of points to make:

1. They spent far more than that this season and it got them nowhere.

2. Leigh spent far more than that this season and it got them nowhere.

Money does not correlate to success, maybe they need to ask Halifax how they do things.

I agree with both your points,being in the unfortunate position that I am,ie; a leigh fan,that is why I said IF widnes spend the money wisely 

For sure their fans wouldn't have wanted Widnes relegated, but it must have been awful watching the team lose so much. At least being on the Championship should see them able to rebuild and for fans to see more winning. I have a soft spot for them because my departed Ma-in-law always looked for their result in the local paper as the first thing she read.

Given the teams in the Championship next year it should be a healthy competition and with a play-offs the end of season should be exciting. Whilst losing SL TV monies they should still be optimistic of fighting for and even to be in play-offs.    Just maybe they can sustain a healthy fan base and with an exciting competition maybe have a good future.

20 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Do you think it was a mistake Betts leaving?

I think he made the best of available resources...I said at the time that i understood the decision to let him go but that he wasnt the root cause of our problems....that said, i was optimistic that a new coach might turn things round....

5 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Walker will be snapped up very quicky i would imagine....followed by Buckley, gilmore, craven, chapelhow, whitley

What a horrible decision it was to get Rule in as CEO. I thought at the time it seemed bizarre as he was so underwhelming at Hull. Has he improved any part of the club's operations and commercial power? Hope he doesn't fancy a chunk of the parachute payment next year.

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What a horrible decision it was to get Rule in as CEO. I thought at the time it seemed bizarre as he was so underwhelming at Hull. Has he improved any part of the club's operations and commercial power? Hope he doesn't fancy a chunk of the parachute payment next year.

I dont really understand what he offers

This has been coming since the middle of summer .......last year.

We did well to survive last year, but survive is all we did. There were obvious problems and none of them were fixed at the end of last season. Some of those things were down to a lack of available finances, and that is a major factor in our demise. Add onto that poor management, coaching and team selection and we were doomed some time ago. Things won't be easy to fix and it will take time.    

As we won't have an increase in money to spend, the most important thing we need is a change in personnel off the field who can make an impact - specifically, a new coach. Whether we can attract one remains to be seen.

Ultimately, we have to accept that we are where we deserve to be.

Archived