Tonga Aus almost sold out, Fifita possible Capt.

B rad

http://www.fijitimes.com/tonga-coach-backing-andrew-fifita-for-test-match-captaincy/

Fifita, Taumalolo and Hopoate contenders for captaincy. Fifita has the inside running apparently. Id have thought Taumalolo would be the obvious choice.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/dailytelegraph/subscribe.html?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-v-tonga-test-match-at-mount-smart-stadium-on-track-to-sell-out/news-story/efaa96d1f8c411d8dcf4ccb43c0ff204?memtype=anonymous

If it sells out, which it looks likely that it will, this will be the 4th sold out game in a row from Tonga. Cant say much more as there is a paywall on the report. 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, B rad said:

http://www.fijitimes.com/tonga-coach-backing-andrew-fifita-for-test-match-captaincy/

Fifita, Taumalolo and Hopoate contenders for captaincy. Fifita has the inside running apparently. Id have thought Taumalolo would be the obvious choice.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/dailytelegraph/subscribe.html?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-v-tonga-test-match-at-mount-smart-stadium-on-track-to-sell-out/news-story/efaa96d1f8c411d8dcf4ccb43c0ff204?memtype=anonymous

If it sells out, which it looks likely that it will, this will be the 4th sold out game in a row from Tonga. Cant say much more as there is a paywall on the report. 

If it is sold out with a month to go why not reinstate the temporary seating at the other end they had for the World Cup?

6 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Well informed NRL bashing on here as usual. 

Yes, but if it is sold out (with a month to go) and there is room to put a 4k temporary stand in the venue (as per the World Cup) then you can pay Tonga's players wages there and then. It is fair comment isn't it?

The Kangaroos have taken a 75% player pay cut to make this game happen.

The game is being played in New Zealand what do you want the Aussie's to do?

What else does everyone want?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

And somehow the NRL try and make out that games like this can't be played because they aren't profitable.

How is Super Leagues development of France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland going in the North?
Have the owners of Wigan, St Helens, Warrington and Leeds sorted out the northern hemisphere International calendar yet?

Just now, DoubleD said:

A comprehensive Tongan win

I do not gamble but in this case I would give you good odds on that not happening.
They may have beat a ###### Kiwi side last year and run an over confident England side close.

They will be torn a new one by the Kangaroos.

I've also seen it hinted that the PNG PMXIII is being given test status this year and is after the Grand Final. If that is true and it is Kangaroos V Kumuls it is huge for PNG and Australia deserve some credit since is their "rest" year. Not confirmed though so we'll see.

NZ would be mad not to have at least 1 game a year against Tonga from now on, even play it at Eden Park. It has potential of a massive rivalry if NZ can swallow their pride at the thought of being "out-supported" in their home country.

6 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I've also seen it hinted that the PNG PMXIII is being given test status this year and is after the Grand Final. If that is true and it is Kangaroos V Kumuls it is huge for PNG and Australia deserve some credit since is their "rest" year. Not confirmed though so we'll see.

NZ would be mad not to have at least 1 game a year against Tonga from now on, even play it at Eden Park. It has potential of a massive rivalry if NZ can swallow their pride at the thought of being "out-supported" in their home country.

The Kangaroos have played PNG EVERY year since 2005 regardless of rest years.

2 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I've also seen it hinted that the PNG PMXIII is being given test status this year

That's ridiculous. PMXIII isn't a test team. PNG has huge potential and with the PNG Hunters are developing a lot of much needed professional talent. They are a few steps behind Australia, England, New Zealand and even Samoa and Fiji if they field teams at full strength. France, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are in PNGs bracket. Plenty of teams to for them to play actual "tests" against then National B teams.  

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

I do not gamble but in this case I would give you good odds on that not happening.
They may have beat a ###### Kiwi side last year and run an over confident England side close.

They will be torn a new one by the Kangaroos.

That may very well be true but I was merely answering your question on what everyone wants 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

That may very well be true but I was merely answering your question on what everyone wants 

It would be great for the game. Imagine the scenes after the match if they did pull off an upset not to mention the positive media hype for international rugby league.

18 minutes ago, Allora said:

How is Super Leagues development of France, Wales, Ireland and Scotland going in the North?
Have the owners of Wigan, St Helens, Warrington and Leeds sorted out the northern hemisphere International calendar yet?

That has nothing to do with this thread.

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Pretty sure that is not the case with most fans in the Country where Rugby League actually has a high profile.

:-)

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

That has nothing to do with this thread.

You posted.....

And somehow the NRL try and make out that games like this can't be played because they aren't profitable. (Test matches)

Why do the NRL care about Test matches profitability? unless they are bankrolling the games.

Why are you confused Damien?

I intend to watch this game, depending on me being able to access it (will it be on Sky?). The fact that it's a sell-out so the atmosphere should be good, makes it an even more appealing watch. Hopefully it will be a close game, or at least close for a large part of the match. Well done to all concerned for making it happen.

Archived