Tonga Aus almost sold out, Fifita possible Capt.

B rad

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The structure , precision , overall quality  and clinical nature of the kangaroos will  power over the individual flair of the tongans . It may be a contrast in styles but what Australia do they just do brilliantly . Tonga lack big time in the halves to at this level . I hope it’s on sky for the spectacle 

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The structure , precision , overall quality  and clinical nature of the kangaroos will  power over the individual flair of the tongans . It may be a contrast in styles but what Australia do they just do brilliantly . Tonga lack big time in the halves to at this level . I hope it’s on sky for the spectacle 

I read that a lot about Tonga in the World Cup but they showed up pretty well against NZ and England. The key is if the Tongan forwards can punch some holes and lay a platform.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I read that a lot about Tonga in the World Cup but they showed up pretty well against NZ and England. The key is if the Tongan forwards can punch some holes and lay a platform.

I would say we do as well . Especially since we shifted Widdop . The Tongan pack can definitely aim up , as can the backs . The link up in the middle will be the key to exerting concerted pressure and managing the game . It’s fantastic to say that these teams are playing and it’s a proper contest more than anything 

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

There is a saying that Forwards win games.

It has been proven wrong time and time again.

Forwards can lay a platform, Halfbacks win games with their link to to the backs and bringing in running Forwards.

Without good Halfbacks you are hoping for things to fall your way.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

52 minutes ago, Allora said:

The Kangaroos have played PNG EVERY year since 2005 regardless of rest years.

No they haven't, Australia Prime Mininsters XIII have played the Kumuls and more recently PNG PMXIII all those years. Not the same as Kangaroos. A full test every year would be great for PNG, wouldn't mind seeing the PMXIII team go to other Pacific islands though if so.

52 minutes ago, B rad said:

That's ridiculous. PMXIII isn't a test team. PNG has huge potential and with the PNG Hunters are developing a lot of much needed professional talent. They are a few steps behind Australia, England, New Zealand and even Samoa and Fiji if they field teams at full strength. France, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are in PNGs bracket. Plenty of teams to for them to play actual "tests" against then National B teams.  

The idea I got was that is would now be Kangaroos V Kumuls not a PMXIII game. Not sure though I've only seen a couple of little things so don't take my word for it. They have changed it to after the NRL grand final which would add fuel to the fire though.

Just now, jim_57 said:

No they haven't, Australia Prime Mininsters XIII have played the Kumuls and more recently PNG PMXIII all those years. Not the same as Kangaroos.

The idea I got was that is would now be Kangaroos V Kumuls not a PMXIII game. Not sure though I've only seen a couple of little things so don't take my word for it. They have changed it to after the NRL grand final which would add fuel to the fire though.

I meant the Prime Ministers XIII

Just now, Scubby said:

Now Cameron Smith has retired does that mean Australian test players don't need a year off any more?

Is he the voice of the Players Union?

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Is he the voice of the Players Union?

Well he was touring around in a players union baseball cap when they were trying to use the World  Cup as a negotiating mule this time last year. I understand he does have a named position.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

I meant the Prime Ministers XIII

I'd like to see PMXIII continue IF they do make the PNG game a test (which, again is by no means confirmed as far as I know). Playing Fiji or Fiji PMXIII side with a mix of NRL players and some locals would be a great way to keep the concept alive.

1 hour ago, Allora said:

Have the owners of Wigan, St Helens, Warrington and Leeds sorted out the northern hemisphere International calendar yet?

This hasn't really got anything to do with Tonga and Australia (but I understand why you made the point), but it was very depressing to hear Ralph Rimmer say on this weeks edition of Backchat that England look unlikely to play mid season in 2019.

Not so surprising considering the SL have (without anyone making comment on it) actually managed to extend the domestic season by a week. This year there are 23 rounds of SL games, 7 matches in the 8s and 2 weeks for the semis and GF. Next year there will be 29 rounds in SL and 4 weeks of play off games. Fills that International weekend up quite nicely for the clubs.

57 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I intend to watch this game, depending on me being able to access it (will it be on Sky?). The fact that it's a sell-out so the atmosphere should be good, makes it an even more appealing watch. Hopefully it will be a close game, or at least close for a large part of the match. Well done to all concerned for making it happen.

It should be a great occasion - looking forward to it.

I was looking at Sky's press release for the NRL contract and it does state they will cover the Trans Tasman and Australian Test matches. NZ v Aus should be on, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if the contract covers the Tonga game.

Regarding PNG I found this on the PNG Kumuls Facebook page from 10 days ago.. not sure what to make of it. Hopefully they're just keeping the PMXIII name for familiarity and ot is the Kangaroos that take the field.

September 13, 2018  

MEDIA RELEASE 

PRIME MINISTER’S XIII TICKETS ON SALE ON FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 14, 2018 

Tickets for next month’s Prime Minsters XIII Test match between PNG and Australia in Port Moresby will go on sale tomorrow (Friday ) September 14, 2018. 

PNGRFL CEO Reatau Rau said the tickets will be on sale from 9am tomorrow at all Ticket Mastas outlets and online. 

The cost per ticket is Grandstand – K120, West Wing – K80, East Stand – K50, North Stand – K30 and South Stand – K30. 

“The ticket prices are the same as those charged during the three World Cup games played in Port Moresby last year,” Rau said. 

He said the Prime Minister’s XIII match will now be an official ‘Test’ match. 

“This game has been sanctioned by the RLIF as a Test match between Australia and PNG,” Rau said.  

He added the game has been scheduled to be played after the NRL, QRL and Super League seasons which should see the best players selected for both sides. 

“We will see the best players representing Australia and PNG in the Prime Minister’s XIII Test clash next month which justifies the cost per ticket charged,” Rau said. 

He urged the public to buy tickets early to avoid disappointment. 

“There will be no ticket sales on game day,” Rau said. 

Gates at Oil Search National Football Stadium open at 11am on Saturday October 6, 2018. 

Details on when the PNG and Australian sides will be named and their travel itinerary will be made known next week. 

The 1st game on Saturday October 6, 2018 at 12.30pm will be an Under 16 fixture between PNG and NSW. This will be followed by the Oil Search PNG Orchids up against Australian Jillaroos at 2.15pm.  

The Prime Minsters XIII ‘Test’ between PNG and Australia kicks off at 4.30pm. 

Ends/

6 hours ago, B rad said:

Officially sold out 4 weeks from game. 

Excellent news - egg on the NZRL’s face here; should have been regular games against the Pacific nations a long time ago.

4 hours ago, Allora said:

The Kangaroos have taken a 75% player pay cut to make this game happen.

Out of interest, why are they taking a pay cut when the game has sold out? No TV interest or something? 

2 hours ago, jim_57 said:

He said the Prime Minister’s XIII match will now be an official ‘Test’ match. 

2 hours ago, jim_57 said:

“This game has been sanctioned by the RLIF as a Test match between Australia and PNG,” Rau said.  

He added the game has been scheduled to be played after the NRL, QRL and Super League seasons which should see the best players selected for both sides. 

I'm even more confused now. Is it a PMsXIII or a Kangaroos test side. If its the best players then its not a PMsXIII obviously. Maybe they are just trying to muddy up the waters to sell more tickets, or maybe they have no idea what they are talking about themselves.

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Good to see a sellout for what should be an epic match but I sincerely hope this doesn't become a regular thing in terms of NZ being used as a location for Tongan matches 

I don't think it matters if they sell out so fast, its a business remember. Down the track if Tonga build a decent stadium and there is enough money to put aside it would be nice to see a few home games played in Tonga. Its unrealistic right now though I think. 

Found this about the PNG PM XIII match:-

https://www.thenational.com.pg/test-status-pms-13-match/

THE annual Prime Minister’s 13 challenge between Australia and Papua New Guinea has been elevated to test status.
The announcement was made after the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) held joint discussions with the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) and the National Rugby League (NRL) on the change in status of the fixture as well as other aspects of the calendar.
PNGRFL chief executive officer Reatau Rau said they felt that having the PM’s 13 become a sanctioned test would only help the Kumuls become more competitive against top-tier nations Australia, England and New Zealand.
He said the change would also see the dates for the annual fixture shift from its usual mid-September date to October 6, a week after the NRL grand final.
“After the PM’s 13 last year we decided to push to make these changes because every year our (PNG) best players are caught up in finals football and are not able to play PM’s 13,” Rau said.
“There was a feeling in the country and among our sponsors that we needed to change that and we request for the NRL to consider this and they did.
“The process was not like signing documents here and there but it was upon our (PNGRFL) request.
“They (NRL) came back to us so we agreed along with RLIF to have the PM’s 13 become a sanctioned test fixture after all these years (the first match was played in 2006).
“Now we can have our best Kumuls side play the Australia and it will be known as the Prime Minister’s 13 test,” Rau said.

The article optimistically says the Aussies will pick their best team, but as it's a week after the NRL GF, their side will probably be similar to the type of side they normally put out. But PNG can put a full strength team out at least.

I assume from reading that article, it is a full test match but the PNGRFL are simply calling the game "the Prime Minsters XIII Test Match". If the Aussies choose not to pick a full team, that's up to them - it's still ranked as a test match.

It also means the Aussies are playing 3 end of year test matches. Not bad for a so called rest year.

5 hours ago, Allora said:

I do not gamble but in this case I would give you good odds on that not happening.
They may have beat a ###### Kiwi side last year and run an over confident England side close.

They will be torn a new one by the Kangaroos.

Out of interest, what odds are offering for a Tonga win?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, B rad said:

Thanks. Forgive my ignorance but am I right in assuming that means that $1 on Tonga returns $3.55 if they win?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived