Million pound game

RobertAM

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watching Breakfast Television and they are going to "Feed The Wolfpack" at 8:30 AM.  Nice to see some buzz about the game.  There is also an article in the Toronto Star.

"The Pack Is Back!"

Here's wishing you well today, I will be sad to see you go up and missing another trip over there.

I have no interest what so ever in Super League.

Cheers Roger, Batley fan.

Just a couple of quick thoughts on the game. London knew they were the underdogs and planned accordingley. They made themselves difficult to break down and slowed the game down when they needed to. Big tactical victory to London. Not sure about the comment about the referee who I thought performed O.K. If anything a couple of decisions went in favour of the wolfpack including being given one of the softest penalties i’ve ever seen in a good position towards the end. Overall I don’t think the referee affected the result.

In the long term I see this as being a blessing for TWP. It will test their resilliance and show them where they need to improve. There are a lot of rugby fans sitting on the fence with their opinions of Toronto and an honest struggle to Super League will win more of them over than an image of “buying the league” will.

Onto next season, it’s impossible to predict at the moment, almost every team will have a massive overhaul of players but here we go...

Toronto - I see them as obvious favourites but it will be interesting to see how they recruit. Especially under a 1 up 1 down system where they need to be better than every other championship team.

Toulouse - I see them as Toronto’s main challengers, they were unlucky this year. Their promotion hopes were somewhat unfairly taken away by a couple of controversial decisions at Lamport. Rumour has it they’re going to make a couple of big signings.

Widnes - Impossible to predict, they had a terrible season but they should still have enough to get past most part time championship clubs considering their parachute payment.

Leigh - Disappointing season for them but let’s not forget they’re still one of the full time teams and were heavy favourites to win the league this year. The club seems to be in a bad way at the moment but February is a long time away.

Featherstone / Halifax - Always up there challenging but will always be underdogs as long as they’re part time in a league with an increasing number of fully professional outfits.

York / Bradford - With their current squads they’d probably challenge for mid table. If they have the opportunity to recruit who knows. Bradford were on of the biggest clubs in the northern hemisphere not long ago and they’ll be hoping to be back in Super League very soon but at the moment I feel the league is going to be a little too competative for them.

As for London, as much as I think it’s important to have a strong London based team for the exposure of Super League I can’t see them being very successful next year. Without a massive rebrand they’re going to be playing in front of very small crowds making the game look amatuer. London or Salford to come down next year.

they just didnt seem like the team that won the regular season at a gallop..they stalled in the qualies..actually with the FRovers game...wonder what happened??

14 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

they just didnt seem like the team that won the regular season at a gallop..they stalled in the qualies..actually with the FRovers game...wonder what happened??

Well you got to give the opposition credit on this Robert....they did their homework.  Our team was not very good at taking advantage of open play and being inventive...we need to have a bit more of a wide open style.  We went through the mechanics well and it wasn't due to lack of effort...we need to be a little more inventive and that is easy if the forwards are always moving forwards in the rucks...much easier to do.

We need two or three top class forwards to solidify the pack...we need a couple of forwards who can consistently 'punch it through' and score...they don't come cheap.

Three days on and the dust is settling - but I will say well played all season and although you just pulled up short it was no doubt a thrilling ride - but having tasted disappointment you can consider yourselves genuine RL fans now! I am also impressed with the equanimity and mangnaminty of the WP fans response to the defeat - not sure some of our more rabid ones this side of the Atlantic would have the dignity to take defeat on the same way. And it means the dog collar can make an appearance at Lamport next season!

Archived