York City Knights

1 hour ago, thepimp007 said:

What I meant by not beat is we have the same record against each other sorry for being unclear. Like I have said and will continue to say it seems that a lot of what has come out of York has been about Bradford and being better than Bradford. I think they are slightly taking the shine off by making it slightly about Bradford, rather than celebrating the success for what it is

We'll agree to disagree on that one my friend. Bradford were everybody's target because of the bigger budget, the (almost), full time squad, and their outstanding previous record. But for Directors, coaches and supporters to say, we belong in Super League, we are a Super league club etc, only winds opponents up. At this moment in time, the Bulls are no more of a Super League club than West Wales, they both play in League 1.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Haxbytyke said:

We'll agree to disagree on that one my friend. Bradford were everybody's target because of the bigger budget, the (almost), full time squad, and their outstanding previous record. But for Directors, coaches and supporters to say, we belong in Super League, we are a Super league club etc, only winds opponents up. At this moment in time, the Bulls are no more of a Super League club than West Wales, they both play in League 1.

Almost full time? Our full time players are about 6/7 thats it. Against us you fielded as many full time players as we had with loanees and dual reg so come on that argument does not stand. And them full time players will have been actually training full time with  their parent clubs where as ours have been basically full time in name only. I have already said that what Chalmers said was more of a hindrance to the club than a help.

I'm sorry but I have not seen one Bradford fan saying we belong in Super League at all. To be honest no we may not be where we believe we should be, we are actually where we should have been last season. We should not have been in the championship last season at all we should have been put in league 1. Yet with a team of kids and 12 point deduction we were the RFL pets. I really think you should look at Bradford posters on here and on RLFans to get a real fan aspect of where we expect we should be and it certainly is nowhere near SL.

4 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

Almost full time? Our full time players are about 6/7 thats it. Against us you fielded as many full time players as we had with loanees and dual reg so come on that argument does not stand. And them full time players will have been actually training full time with  their parent clubs where as ours have been basically full time in name only. I have already said that what Chalmers said was more of a hindrance to the club than a help.

I'm sorry but I have not seen one Bradford fan saying we belong in Super League at all. To be honest no we may not be where we believe we should be, we are actually where we should have been last season. We should not have been in the championship last season at all we should have been put in league 1. Yet with a team of kids and 12 point deduction we were the RFL pets. I really think you should look at Bradford posters on here and on RLFans to get a real fan aspect of where we expect we should be and it certainly is nowhere near SL.

Why does everybody throw the D/R you refer to at the Knights? Bradford, and the others have used D/R and loanees, it was available to every club. For what it is worth, I don't necessarily agree with it, and certainly think there should be some sort of cap on how many players you can use. BUT, whereas it hasn't worked for York in the past it has this year. It is often easy to pick out D/R players, they don't put in a lot of effort at times, but that accusation could not be levelled at anybody who has pulled the shirt on this season, and I would defy anybody to say they could pick out the D/R players on their attitude. For the last few games, we have only had Marsh on D/R and it would be no surprise to me if he was a proper Knight next season.

3 hours ago, Haxbytyke said:

Why does everybody throw the D/R you refer to at the Knights? Bradford, and the others have used D/R and loanees, it was available to every club. For what it is worth, I don't necessarily agree with it, and certainly think there should be some sort of cap on how many players you can use. BUT, whereas it hasn't worked for York in the past it has this year. It is often easy to pick out D/R players, they don't put in a lot of effort at times, but that accusation could not be levelled at anybody who has pulled the shirt on this season, and I would defy anybody to say they could pick out the D/R players on their attitude. For the last few games, we have only had Marsh on D/R and it would be no surprise to me if he was a proper Knight next season.

I am not questioning the desire as I saw by Johnsons tweets after the game. I was just pointing out you had as many full timers in as we did so that excuse doesnt wash. It wasn't that they are on loan or dual reg its the fact they are full time players when the full time gets thrown in Bradfords face

8 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

I am not questioning the desire as I saw by Johnsons tweets after the game. I was just pointing out you had as many full timers in as we did so that excuse doesnt wash

York had one full time player against Haven, the D/R player, lets not start arguing about D/R players most clubs use them including the Bulls, good luck in the play offs and if you play Donny watch out they have a lot of full time players.

16 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

I am not questioning the desire as I saw by Johnsons tweets after the game. I was just pointing out you had as many full timers in as we did so that excuse doesnt wash

I think Johnson's tweets were more of a reference to Kears' attitude re Johnson playing after his sending off. I wonder if Mr. Kear will have the same opinion this week, when Oldham have 3 players missing. According to Kears' logic re Johnson, they should have been banned last week, and therefore eligible on Sunday. Doubt he'll mention it this week though because it works in Bradford's favour. Anyway, that is all in the past, time to move forward. May see you next season.

As resident statto I'd be more than happy to work out Bradford's DR total compared to York's if a Bulls fan can let me know which players they've had on DR this season. Would be interesting to compare because I don't think there'll be much in it....just like in the matches between the 2 teams ?

2 hours ago, Haxbytyke said:

I think Johnson's tweets were more of a reference to Kears' attitude re Johnson playing after his sending off. I wonder if Mr. Kear will have the same opinion this week, when Oldham have 3 players missing. According to Kears' logic re Johnson, they should have been banned last week, and therefore eligible on Sunday. Doubt he'll mention it this week though because it works in Bradford's favour. Anyway, that is all in the past, time to move forward. May see you next season.

Maybe so. End of the day he was playing and although a good player especially at this level, I think the focus should have also been on the other 16 that helped tear us a new one for 25 minutes!

3 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

Maybe so. End of the day he was playing and although a good player especially at this level, I think the focus should have also been on the other 16 that helped tear us a new one for 25 minutes!

The fact it was Johnson was irrelevant. In all honesty, as a former Yorkshire cricketer would have said, my grandmother would have run through that gap. Maybe the focus should have been on the defending, rather than who scored the try. Time for us all to move on now, Enjoyed our discussion, we are all passionate fans and have our opinions, it's always good to discuss them in a sensible, and polite manner.

6 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

As resident statto I'd be more than happy to work out Bradford's DR total compared to York's if a Bulls fan can let me know which players they've had on DR this season. Would be interesting to compare because I don't think there'll be much in it....just like in the matches between the 2 teams ?

We aren't dual reg with anyone this year. We were with Widnes last year. We have had loans.

Opening game loans we had Mikey Wood and Liam Johnson playing who both on season long loan, York had loan/dual reg Will Oakes, Kieran Moss, Matty Marsh and Will Jubb

At Odsal we had Wood and Johnson, plus James Green who has since signed permanently. York had Marsh, Josh Johnson, Whichever Walne it was, Jake Butler-Flemming and Jack Ormondroyd

6 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

We aren't dual reg with anyone this year. We were with Widnes last year. We have had loans.

Opening game loans we had Mikey Wood and Liam Johnson playing who both on season long loan, York had loan/dual reg Will Oakes, Kieran Moss, Matty Marsh and Will Jubb

At Odsal we had Wood and Johnson, plus James Green who has since signed permanently. York had Marsh, Josh Johnson, Whichever Walne it was, Jake Butler-Flemming and Jack Ormondroyd

Will Jubb is a York player I believe. Wasn't Lilley also available to you when we played at Odsal?

2 hours ago, spanishknight said:

York had one full time player against Haven, the D/R player, lets not start arguing about D/R players most clubs use them including the Bulls, good luck in the play offs and if you play Donny watch out they have a lot of full time players.

Like I said above I have no problem with them using the assets available to them at all. Its the argument that the Bulls are full time, where in both games York probably had more full time players on the pitch with the dual reg guys. Not the fact they are dual reg its the fact people bemoan Bradfords full time status when it is not the case, but at the same time fielding as many full time players, just because its a part time club.

I couldn't care less about full time/dual reg players its all within the rules so people can play who they wish that are allowed within the rules. I am on edge about the play offs so far

5 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

Not far off correct - but Will Jubb was released by Hull KR and signed permanently with York ahead of the 2018 season.

Did Bradford not have a dual reg agreement with Toronto, thought that's how Jake Butler Fleming played a few games for you.

Confuses me anyway who's on loan, who's on DR, and who's on a season long loan eg Kieren Moss which then turns out not to be season long!

1 minute ago, Haxbytyke said:

Will Jubb is a York player I believe. Wasn't Lilley also available to you when we played at Odsal?

Fair enough sorry I didn't realise he signed fully. He had just signed on a permanent 18 month loan but he was no where near match fit with being pushed pillar to post

We've had a few this year. I think we probably used 4-5 loanees in every 18man squad this season.

Wood & Johnson from Hudds, season long loans with no recall option.

Bustin started the season on loan, then signed for us.

Jy Hitchcox loaned with us twice from Cas. Egodo also been loaned to us for the last few games from Cas.

D/R partners were Toronto - We got Laithwaite before his nasty injury & we had Butler-Fleming for 1 month....

Green joined us midway through season, then signed for us.

Pownall on loan for last few games of season & Lilley for last few games & next season as well.

Also we've brought 2-3 academy products into the first team to give them game-time this season. Storton, Wilson & Milnes (I think?)

Just now, AB Knight said:

Not far off correct - but Will Jubb was released by Hull KR and signed permanently with York ahead of the 2018 season.

Did Bradford not have a dual reg agreement with Toronto, thought that's how Jake Butler Fleming played a few games for you.

Confuses me anyway who's on loan, who's on DR, and who's on a season long loan eg Kieren Moss which then turns out not to be season long!

Yeah we announced we were trying to dual reg with them but red tape prevented it between countries supposedly. JBF was signed on a months loan and played twice for us. We also signed Laithwaite on loan who got crocked. Moss was available on dual reg with you guys. He is a fantastic player in full flight and for me better than any full back at our level and I include what I have seen of McNally so far. Was a shame to see him stuck on the wing in league 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

We've had a few this year. I think we probably used 4-5 loanees in every 18man squad this season.

Wood & Johnson from Hudds, season long loans with no recall option.

Bustin started the season on loan, then signed for us.

Jy Hitchcox loaned with us twice from Cas. Egodo also been loaned to us for the last few games from Cas.

D/R partners were Toronto - We got Laithwaite before his nasty injury & we had Butler-Fleming for 1 month....

Green joined us midway through season, then signed for us.

Pownall on loan for last few games of season & Lilley for last few games & next season as well.

Also we've brought 2-3 academy products into the first team to give them game-time this season. Storton, Wilson & Milnes (I think?)

Also Pickersgill who has had a big shot with McNallys injuries. Ethan Ryan has kicked on another gear this year. Storton and Wilson both look to have massive futures if their attitudes are right

The difference in psychology is interesting. I think the difference may just have come down to that.

Kear was very specific that every game was a cup final for the opposition & we had to be prepared for that - with the result being we were spreading our focus defensively against all the teams.

I think I read Ford saying they were very specifically focussed on one target - finishing above Bradford.

Who gives two hoots, end of the day YORK were CHAMPIONS, and much deserved champions. 

As for Bradford, good luck to them - if they get promoted the Championship next season will be even closer. Quite possibly the closest and most exciting Championship to date?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

1 minute ago, thepimp007 said:

Also Pickersgill who has had a big shot with McNallys injuries. Ethan Ryan has kicked on another gear this year. Storton and Wilson both look to have massive futures if their attitudes are right

I was counting Pickersgill & ryan as being last years intake :wink:

1 minute ago, thepimp007 said:

Yeah we announced we were trying to dual reg with them but red tape prevented it between countries supposedly. JBF was signed on a months loan and played twice for us. We also signed Laithwaite on loan who got crocked. Moss was available on dual reg with you guys. He is a fantastic player in full flight and for me better than any full back at our level and I include what I have seen of McNally so far. Was a shame to see him stuck on the wing in league 1

Kieren Moss was loan not DR - York City Knights media manager Gav Wilson confirmed it at the time and it was reported in Bradfords Telegraph and Argus and the York Press.

Anyway dual reg, loan, dual loan, loan reg....it doesn't matter. Was available to every club and it worked for York. I like to think this season its been the icing on the cake for YCK, but long term I hope York can get a direct pathway from foundation right up to 1st team and we can be talking more about that.

Onwards and upwards.

2 minutes ago, thepimp007 said:

Fair enough sorry I didn't realise he signed fully. He had just signed on a permanent 18 month loan but he was no where near match fit with being pushed pillar to post

But, he was available as a Bradford player. Whether he was fit or not is another issue. As an aside, do you think you got full value from the players who were borrowed albeit on loan or whatever?

21 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This newfangled way of measuring which sports team is better by having a league table is never going to catch on...

PH, you are the reincarnation of the Revd Frank Marshall, and I claim my £5!

Archived