30 Sept: Qualifiers: Hull Kingston Rovers v Widnes Vikings KO 3pm

Who will win?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Widnes Vikings
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/09/18 at 14:00

Contrary to the views of people who did not attend the game Widnes gave a lot of effort today obviously the game was far more important to Rovers but Widnes did not simply roll over. They simply lacked quality.

Widnes have lost to everyone except Halifax and were easily beaten at Craven Park earlier in the season. They would surely have been 2nd favourites in this game whatever the circumstances.

They had a host of players absent but the players who took the field gave their all. Rovers played well and never looked in trouble. Good luck to Widnes next year.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Thank God all those mediocre players' mortgages are safe at Hull KR.

I couldn't have gone through 2016 again.

Not enough hankies in the world for all those tears.

Not enough buckets in the world for all that vomit.

Or to dry the tears of those clowns weeping after 11 consecutive losses kicked off by being whipped by the Rovers juniors side!

How safe are the mortgages of the Hull players after Pearsons tantrum?

14 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Contrary to the views of people who did not attend the game Widnes gave a lot of effort today obviously the game was far more important to Rovers but Widnes did not simply roll over. They simply lacked quality.

Widnes have lost to everyone except Halifax and were easily beaten at Craven Park earlier in the season. They would surely have been 2nd favourites in this game whatever the circumstances.

They had a host of players absent but the players who took the field gave their all. Rovers played well and never looked in trouble. Good luck to Widnes next year.

They'd put up a good show in Toronto (I mean that they were as competitive as any other team over there) and came up with a close run game at home to Leeds (who, granted have been poor) so I had hoped for something a little more impressive than their performance today. It is what it is, and whilst some would have you believe it was all a fix, they clearly didn't have the quality, either today, or through the season. 

That said, I don't think it is unfair to question whether those players have played for the shirt on their back today. It may be an incorrect assumption, but not a ludicrous suggestion.  

29 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I agree, as a working class sport it's important that we reserve no sympathy or empathy for players struggling financially. 

They have only managed to reach the level of mediocre in the sport we love, screw them and their ability to make a decent living. More money for the local decking salesmen and local businessmen who own our heartland clubs I say. 

Let them eat cake. 

(mediocre in the context of being in the best 300 or so in the entire country and probably the best 1k or so in the entire world of course)

I expected a few bites, but mate, that's pitiful.????

Just got home from this. Quite enjoyed it actually. Anyone who thinks Widnes players weren't trying in that game needs their head examined.

Some good banter from the antipodean contingent of the Widnes players not in the matchday 19 who were sat in the north stand singing along with the away spectators. Seems like most of them don't have anything lined up for next season. Hard life at the bottom of professional sport.

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Just got home from this. Quite enjoyed it actually. Anyone who thinks Widnes players weren't trying in that game needs their head examined.

Some good banter from the antipodean contingent of the Widnes players not in the matchday 19 who were sat in the north stand singing along with the away spectators. Seems like most of them don't have anything lined up for next season. Hard life at the bottom of professional sport.

Cap doffed for actually going jon!

7 minutes ago, chuffer said:

Cap doffed for actually going jon!

I was taking my son up to Uni in York, so it wasn't too far out of my way ?

Some emotional scenes at the end when the players came over to talk with the fans - both Runciman & Marsh seemed to be close to tears, presumably their last match for the club. Tough game, for sure.

2 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

They'd put up a good show in Toronto (I mean that they were as competitive as any other team over there) and came up with a close run game at home to Leeds (who, granted have been poor) so I had hoped for something a little more impressive than their performance today. It is what it is, and whilst some would have you believe it was all a fix, they clearly didn't have the quality, either today, or through the season. 

That said, I don't think it is unfair to question whether those players have played for the shirt on their back today. It may be an incorrect assumption, but not a ludicrous suggestion.  

It depends whether it is a suggestion or an assertion. I've seen a lot of the latter.

People had made their minds up long before today that Widnes were going to throw this game. The reality is that if there had been no issue with money, absolutely nobody would be surprised by a result where a team that needed to win by 14 points beat a team with nothing to play for by 30 points. In fact I'd suggest that that would be about where people would be predicting it would be especially when you factor in that Widnes lost by 19 in their previous apparently competitive visit to Craven park.

Let's go back to last year. London who had lost narrowly 40-38 against Warrington in their previous home game, lost by only 2 and 5 away at Catalans and Hull KR, got absolutely hammered 41-4 against Leigh in their final game. What a surprise result that is made all the less surprising when London had nothing left to play for and Leigh had to get a certain number of points.

What financial incentives were in it for London?

3 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Pretty much spot on. Widnes gave it a go for the full 80 and credit to them for that. 

Good luck to Widnes next year as the club tries to rebuild. Not easy to do in the championship and they will have a target on their backs being the relegated super league club.

Just read a bit of this and the other thread and there seems to be quite a few people casting a lot of aspersions around about Widnes and their players. For me these idiotic keyboard warriors need to crawl back into their little holes, you truly are clueless about rugby league and life in general.

1 minute ago, Brigg Rover said:

Good luck to Widnes next year as the club tries to rebuild. Not easy to do in the championship and they will have a target on their backs being the relegated super league club.

Just read a bit of this and the other thread and there seems to be quite a few people casting a lot of aspersions around about Widnes and their players. For me these idiotic keyboard warriors need to crawl back into their little holes, you truly are clueless about rugby league and life in general.

I don't believe they are 100% serious with their assertations, its just a good narrative to go fishing with.  It's impossible to prove anyway - that's why its easy to go after

Archived