Tuivasa-Shek wins Dally M

DavidM

RTS wins Dally M edging out Ponga and Holmes . Smith and Seibold win captain and coach awards .

Ferguson (wing) , Leilua ( centre ) , Munster (6) , Brooks (7), Fifita ( prop ) , Taumalolo ( lock ) ,Jackson ( second row ), Cook ( hooker )

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

RTS wins Dally M edging out Ponga and Holmes . Smith and Seibold win captain and coach awards .

Ferguson (wing) , Leilua ( centre ) , Munster (6) , Brooks (7), Fifita ( prop ) , Taumalolo ( lock ) ,Jackson ( second row ), Cook ( hooker )

Big fan of Joey Leilua but how Latrell Mitchell didn't get centre of the year is crazy?!

I haven't watched much NRL this year but Luke Brooks surprises me.  We're always told that the Aussies are so much better in the halves than us, but if he is considered the best in his position in the NRL, then he must have come on a ton this season.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Here was the FoxSports poll from earlier this week. 80% voted for Latrell.

19 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

I haven't watched much NRL this year but Luke Brooks surprises me.  We're always told that the Aussies are so much better in the halves than us, but if he is considered the best in his position in the NRL, then he must have come on a ton this season.

Well you are sort of right both times. I don't think he was the best but he certainly did improve a lot this year. The fans' poll rated him second, behind Cronk.

26 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

Absolutely, he even got dropped at one stage. He seemed hit and miss when I saw him and his defence well, let’s just say it left a lot to be desired, so he was targeted regularly. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Wasn’t there an Aussie poster on here who kept saying Fifita was rubbish?

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’m guessing Jackson is in solely for his try scoring record as he certainly wasn’t the best second row. 

Cant believe Leilua was in ahead of Mitchell. Even think there’s others who have been better than him

The top 3 have all been class

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m guessing Jackson is in solely for his try scoring record as he certainly wasn’t the best second row. 

Cant believe Leilua was in ahead of Mitchell. Even think there’s others who have been better than him

The top 3 have all been class

I like Jackson and he’s been central in a poor  side but I wouldn’t say this season has been his best by any means . Tariq Sims , Frizell , Kaufusi , Crichton all been performing at a high level in successful teams . No doubt Mitchell has been the best performing centre 

36 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Wasn’t there an Aussie poster on here who kept saying Fifita was rubbish?

Probably when he opted for Tonga.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

I forgot to add the link to the FoxSports poll earlier in the week:  https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/you-voted-fox-sports-fans-predicted-dally-m-team-of-the-year/news-story/27ff384060ac551df9f242a75eb5ba33

One of Latrell's problems is the voting system. If you have a 3,2,1 system and you are in a weak team you will get a lot of 3s but if you played in a strong team you might play 8/10 with 2 or 3 players who had a 9/10 game that day. Latrell, Tedesco and Ferguson can't all get 3 points every week whereas players like Klemmer didn't have much competition from their own teammates.

40 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

I forgot to add the link to the FoxSports poll earlier in the week:  https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/you-voted-fox-sports-fans-predicted-dally-m-team-of-the-year/news-story/27ff384060ac551df9f242a75eb5ba33

One of Latrell's problems is the voting system. If you have a 3,2,1 system and you are in a weak team you will get a lot of 3s but if you played in a strong team you might play 8/10 with 2 or 3 players who had a 9/10 game that day. Latrell, Tedesco and Ferguson can't all get 3 points every week whereas players like Klemmer didn't have much competition from their own teammates.

Am I right in thinking the 3-2-1 votes are only given per game and not for each team? If that is the case then a disadvantage of being in a weaker team is that the winning team would get the Dally M points more often than not.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Am I right in thinking the 3-2-1 votes are only given per game and not for each team? If that is the case then a disadvantage of being in a weaker team is that the winning team would get the Dally M points more often than not.

Yes, it's a 3,2,1 per game. Kalyn Ponga was only just pipped at the post by RTS though so it is possible for a good player in a weaker team to win. Remember Barry Russell? Nobody does. He won the Rothmans Medal (the old rival Dally M) in 1988. His whole career lasted less than 80 first grade games. He was also in a strong team which included Ettingshausen. Gavin Miller and Dane Sorensen, yet he managed to win. I think he must have been getting 1 point every week and the opposition and his teammates were sharing the 3 and 2 around evenly. Ettingshausen got 17 tries that year and played for OZ and NSW so he must have been in good form. Oddly, Gavin Miller won the Dally M that year so I don't know how 2 players in the same team could both score so highly.

18 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Yes, it's a 3,2,1 per game. Kalyn Ponga was only just pipped at the post by RTS though so it is possible for a good player in a weaker team to win. Remember Barry Russell? Nobody does. He won the Rothmans Medal (the old rival Dally M) in 1988. His whole career lasted less than 80 first grade games. He was also in a strong team which included Ettingshausen. Gavin Miller and Dane Sorensen, yet he managed to win. I think he must have been getting 1 point every week and the opposition and his teammates were sharing the 3 and 2 around evenly. Ettingshausen got 17 tries that year and played for OZ and NSW so he must have been in good form. Oddly, Gavin Miller won the Dally M that year so I don't know how 2 players in the same team could both score so highly.

Good point about Ponga... shows what a talent he is. As for 1988, Cronulla were the minor premiers so no surprise to see recognition for their players that year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On the team selected I would probably have gone with another 7 and second row but no real arguments. The one I don't understand is Leilua, I wouldn't have had him anywhere near this level, I thought he was pretty poor and I'll disciplined all year.

17 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

That's a bit of a strange team! I think Leilua has been hopeless, Brooks is improved but still average, and Fifita is nowhere near being a top quality consistent prop.

As I pointed out in another thread, Fifita has the most tackle breaks, most offloads and 3rd highest run meters of all the props in the NRL this year. He may not be everybody's favourite player but there is no denying he is good at what props are supposed to do.

Having said all that, I think David Klemmer has been far and away the best prop in the NRL this year.

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As I pointed out in another thread, Fifita has the most tackle breaks, most offloads and 3rd highest run meters of all the props in the NRL this year. He may not be everybody's favourite player but there is no denying he is good at what props are supposed to do.

Having said all that, I think David Klemmer has been far and away the best prop in the NRL this year.

Yeah fair comment. He's a good player and capable of playing a blinder, but I just think he lets his team down a bit when he starts going across field or losing discipline. I also wonder if Gallen makes his job a little biy easier with all the tough yards he makes to get the momentum going.

Archived