2 Refs in SL for 2019.

Lowdesert

15 hours ago, bobbruce said:

What worries me is the purpose of the second ref in the NRL is to tidy up the ptb not speed it up. There are plenty of occasions when the second ref stops play and makes the attacker ptb from the right spot. 

And that's a good thing.  Defenses need time to get set for the next play so that the game doesn't degenerate into 5 identical drives needing no skill to advance the ball.

14 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think tidying up the ruck is more important than speed . We’re obsessed with speed at the PTB which has made it a total farce and mess . The NRL has shown one can lead to the other . 

Absolutely spot on.  The faster the game moves the less often defenses will be set and the less skill teams will need to gain ground.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I don’t mind the idea of two refs, I see both negatives and positives with it. I just think we don’t have the numbers to make it viable. If you haven’t got the numbers, it’s a non-starter. 

I mean let's not get ahead of ourselves anyway - so far this has only been 'reported' in the gossip section of LRL. But if it was to go ahead i'm sure the relevant numbers would be crunched prior to make sure it's feasible. Pretty sure we're not going to have situations where games don't have a ref because another has two. 

38 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

And that's a good thing.  Defenses need time to get set for the next play so that the game doesn't degenerate into 5 identical drives needing no skill to advance the ball.

I obviously wasn’t very clear as you’re the fourth person who hasn’t understood what I meant. When I said I’m worried I meant at SL bringing this in to speed the game up which isn’t the main purpose of the second ref. 

2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

More slavishly following anything that Australia does without thinking it through. Watching the NRL on Sky, I don't see a great deal of difference from SL, plus we haven't enough officials now so, as has already been pointed out, where are we going to find another 6? As far as I'm concerned, I'd just get rid of the video ref and have the two in-goal officials, although we seem to mange OK in L1 with the old fashioned one ref and two touch judge system.

My thoughts on the NRL management themselves has changed radically in the time I've been on this forum, but for decisions on the game itself, I don't think they have done much wrong.  Initiatives have been thought through and seem to work over there, so why try an reinvent the wheel?  The only Rule I can think of which is ambiguous and open to gamesmanship is the obstruction rule in open play.

We have a shortfall in Officials.  Unsure of why, but those we have need help.  The bulk of the attacking teams focus these days is directly through the ruck area and one-up speed.  Get this played more correctly and imo we will see more open play, not rushing rugby and appealing for penalties..

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Reduced interchanges and shot clocks will help that too.

I heard Luke Gale say the other day that during one of Wayne Bennett’s first coaching sessions during the Four Nations that a hungover James Graham won the bleep test. A pi$$ed prop!

Gale may have been joking of course!  But I am a big fan of James Graham.

(PS... off topic but given all the nickname players bandy about,  I'm surprised Luke Gale is not called 'Cathy')

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Gale may have been joking of course!  But I am a big fan of James Graham.

(PS... off topic but given all the nickname players bandy about,  I'm surprised Luke Gale is not called 'Cathy')

Don't believe so. He was saying the main point of difference between NRL and SL players in the England squad, in his experience, is not skill but fitness. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Don't believe so. He was saying the main point of difference between NRL and SL players in the England squad, in his experience, is not skill but fitness. 

Quite possibly, and as such of course it could still be a joke!

After watching the WC final I think we were as fit, if not more so. We were still going at the very end and with one bit of extra skill or option taking in the last second, we could have won. Plus if O'Loughlin was playing...

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Quite possibly, and as such of course it could still be a joke!

After watching the WC final I think we were as fit, if not more so. We were still going at the very end and with one bit of extra skill or option taking in the last second, we could have won. Plus if O'Loughlin was playing...

'If O'Loughlin was playing....' there's a chance there would have been Unicorns flying over the stadium. Building a team structure around a player who misses  twice as many games as he plays is reckless at the least, include Stevie Ward & Ben Currie in that too, you might as well build it around Ellery Hanley, probably a darn sight fitter than all of them still.

16 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Twelve teams in Super League, six games a week, two refs a game = 12 refs. We have eight. 

Its a non-starter. 

Yep and the knock on is they dip below to recruit officials which will leave a void at the bottom of the pile unless the officials at the top officiate in the amateur leagues.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

2 hours ago, Clogiron said:

'If O'Loughlin was playing....' there's a chance there would have been Unicorns flying over the stadium. Building a team structure around a player who misses  twice as many games as he plays is reckless at the least, include Stevie Ward & Ben Currie in that too, you might as well build it around Ellery Hanley, probably a darn sight fitter than all of them still.

You are you going a bit overboard bearing in mind I was merely being  wistful .  

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are you going a bit overboard bearing in mind I was merely being  wistful .  

Are any of us allowed to be wistful nowadays? But if that's the case accept my apologies and admiration for admitting it.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:56 PM, Lowdesert said:

The LRL website.  

“Two referees in Super League in 2019

Super League are set to follow in the steps of the NRL and have two referees on-field next from 2019 and beyond.

The main referee will control the play from within the 10-metre zone and the other will monitor the play-the-ball, with the aim of introducing another referee to speed up the ruck and make the game more exciting. It is expected that it will be trialled for next season and then a decision will be made to see whether it stays at the end of 2019.”

We announced this two weeks ago on the Full Eighty Minutes. 

Where are the referees going to come from? We already see referees officiating twice on the same weekend. 

Worrying. 

Exciting news from the science world, doctors have managed to clone Cameron Smith and each Super League club will be issued with a version to play as second referee in games similar to Melbourne Storm matches where he acts  in a triple role as player, senior and third ref.

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I tried to imagine league one with two refs but quickly tried to take my mind off it

League one and the championship are to be offered the original 'Dolly the sheep' version, it's more dynamic than Smith and with costs in mind keeps the grass short.

10 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

We announced this two weeks ago on the Full Eighty Minutes. 

Where are the referees going to come from? We already see referees officiating twice on the same weekend. 

Worrying. 

As far as I know its hearsay on the LRL website.

Where the officials are going to come from, at this moment, isn't so much of an issue as the 2 ref system will go through a trial period (reasonable to expect).  If they decide its good, has benefits for the game, then we should go with it.  Id rather have that than the constant shortcuts around the PTB and the ruck.  Absolutely horrible to see imo.

Why worry Mick?  Lifes too short - try an enjoy RL, not politics.

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

As far as I know its hearsay on the LRL website.

Where the officials are going to come from, at this moment, isn't so much of an issue as the 2 ref system will go through a trial period (reasonable to expect).  If they decide its good, has benefits for the game, then we should go with it.  Id rather have that than the constant shortcuts around the PTB and the ruck.  Absolutely horrible to see imo.

Why worry Mick?  Lifes too short - try an enjoy RL, not politics.

More than hearsay mate, it's happening and has been communicated to the clubs. 

Expect a lot of trials in the preseason games. 

1 hour ago, Michael Gledhill said:

More than hearsay mate, it's happening and has been communicated to the clubs. 

Expect a lot of trials in the preseason games. 

Ok, good.  The mess that is the ruck is a frustrating spectacle and I welcome that.  I feared that the PTB would be superseded by some other gimmick, but it’s an essential element which makes our game different.

The Refs must have been consulted mustn’t they?

Archived