Salford Reds - Cracks papered over for the next few months

The Daddy

So Salford survive in SL for another year, they've been terrible for most of the year but Marwan pops up at the end of the regular season to buy a couple of players who turned out to be good signings just in time for the 8s and hey presto they are in SL. 

Has issues around poor crowds been addressed? Have issues about their lack of youth and reserve teams been addressed? 

Is this really an example of a model SL club? 

Fair 

4 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So Salford survive in SL for another year, they've been terrible for most of the year but Marwan pops up at the end of the regular season to buy a couple of players who turned out to be good signings just in time for the 8s and hey presto they are in SL. 

Has issues around poor crowds been addressed? Have issues about their lack of youth and reserve teams been addressed? 

Fair points tbf, their fans are quite fickle and I dont buy into the new found enthusiasm from them at all,reality is they finished 2nd bottom and would not be a surprise if they take the drop next year as theyre wont be another side as poor as Widnes for them to hide behind,those teams they have been playing recently is pretty much their level and thats the reality!

I thought they played really well in the play offs and certainly deserved to stay up. 

They play attractive rugby. The try they scored against Toronto was great to watch especially.

It wasn't the Salford match that ultimately cost Toulouse - the game against Toronto was the 6 pointer and they played extremely well in this game and were unlucky.

They still have potential, they haven't been poor all year. They've played some good stuff at times and i enjoy watching them.  They have a good coach and noisy, passionate fans. They have a decent catchment area and a nice stadium.  Unnecessarily negative.  I do think Marwan is a grade A n*b though.

This is a thread to prove how much we're all TGG brothers so let's get rid of a team. Fairly standard sadly. Yeah chuck chuck'em out!

And burn MK at the stake for good measure.

Now who's next?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I see it is moan about Salford week. I'd say the Salford fans are anything but fickle, try supporting a team that has a drama after drama.

It would be interesting how the clubs of the moaners would cope with even half of what Salford have had this year. I suspect their fan numbers would also dip. 

12 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I see it is moan about Salford week. I'd say the Salford fans are anything but fickle, try supporting a team that has a drama after drama.

It would be interesting how the clubs of the moaners would cope with even half of what Salford have had this year. I suspect their fan numbers would also dip. 

Try being a London Broncos supporter 

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

They still have potential, they haven't been poor all year. They've played some good stuff at times and i enjoy watching them.  They have a good coach and noisy, passionate fans. They have a decent catchment area and a nice stadium.  Unnecessarily negative.  I do think Marwan is a grade A n*b though.

He might be - but I believe it was his money that paid for Hastings and Lussick - and I think there is good reason to believe they wouldn't have navigated the qualifiers without them.

Take note, Salford lost both the matches that Hastings was suspended. Without cash from 'a grade A n*b' they'd probably have struggled to reach the MPG

18 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

He might be - but I believe it was his money that paid for Hastings and Lussick - and I think there is good reason to believe they wouldn't have navigated the qualifiers without them.

Take note, Salford lost both the matches that Hastings was suspended. Without cash from 'a grade A n*b' they'd probably have struggled to reach the MPG

I agree, there may even be no Salford without him, the guy's a berk though.

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

As I understand the situation Salford have survived in SL for another year just as Leeds,HKR and other clubs are hoping to do in the Qualifiers.

The present board,albeit a small one,are working very hard to improve attendances,re-introduce academy and reserve teams,we already have an academy set up but are hoping improve the situation sooner rather than later.

The present board are now working closely with the Salford RLFC supporters trust so that both know and discuss what items need attention and what are the best ways to improve things.

The clubs involvement around the schools and other education establishments has increased through Salford Reds Foundation and they are trying to expand things further as soon as they can,finances permitting.

The involvement of the playing and coaching staff with the local community and the amateur clubs has increased and is possibly better than it has ever been.

Has the issue of the crowds at London Broncos been addressed?

Another poster has posted about Salford having fickle fans,they must be joking as we might not have as many fans as other clubs but to be a proper Salford fan you cannot be fickle.

The points mentioned will not be sorted out overnight,improvements will come in time and hopefully a few more people will be a little happier as I don’t know what would have been posted if we had lost last night,but I had already ordered our season tickets before the game anyway.

Done what they needed to do to stay up. Arguably been the best team in the qualifiers. Until they, or any other club for that matter, finish in a relegation spot they deserve to be in SL. 

Having said that I would like to see Toulouse get promoted one day, I'd rather they be coming up than Toronto (if they do). Them and Catalans could really push each other on. 

They probably have papered over the cracks but that’s what seems to happen in sport. It’s not against the rules either so Salford are deserving of their Super League place and fair play to them for doing that, as it looked a tough task for them 10-12 weeks ago. 

They have issues with their attendance but then I’d argue that most Super League clubs do too. 

1 hour ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Done what they needed to do to stay up. Arguably been the best team in the qualifiers. Until they, or any other club for that matter, finish in a relegation spot they deserve to be in SL. 

Having said that I would like to see Toulouse get promoted one day, I'd rather they be coming up than Toronto (if they do). Them and Catalans could really push each other on. 

If clubs are good enough I would like to see the competition enlarged. Let's hope in time Salford can stay up and Widnes come up and TWP and TO as well. If the game stays stronger the issue is just what is the right number of stable clubs that we can sustain.  

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

What do they bring to the comp? As OP says they don’t produce any players and have low crowds. I think we’d be better off with Toulouse as a 2nd French team 

No Super League clubs produce players? They are all produced by amateur clubs. There is not one Super League club that would meet the criteria to enter the National Conference League.

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

If clubs are good enough I would like to see the competition enlarged. Let's hope in time Salford can stay up and Widnes come up and TWP and TO as well. If the game stays stronger the issue is just what is the right number of stable clubs that we can sustain.   

The game is not strong - its dying a slow painful death. Only Super League is strong and if Sky piulled out tomorrow that farce would die as well.

56 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Amateur clubs don't produce players. Their mothers are responsible. Give them some credit eh?

I think their dads may just play a role too, Johnoco!  Ask your mum about this...or your dad!

You could apply this sentiment to a lot of clubs in Super League. If we are honest how many clubs are so stable and well run that relegation wouldn't cause them serious problems? 

Yes Salford appear on the face of it to be treading a fine line but there are several other clubs in the same boat including those with a benefactor who could pull the plug a la Beaumont at Leigh. 

This is where the argument for licensing comes in but as we saw, licensing doesn't work if clubs aren't forced to make improvements or face severe penalties.

15 hours ago, Red Willow said:

"Having enough fans to to be able to have a dip? Luxury!"

15 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Try being a London Broncos supporter 

"We used to dream of being that lucky when I were a lad!"

18 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

What do they bring to the comp? As OP says they don’t produce any players and have low crowds. I think we’d be better off with Toulouse as a 2nd French team

They are there on merit having done what's required of them ON THE FIELD.

This whole RL obsession with what clubs "Bring" or don't bring is quite tedious, Salford are in SL on merit because they won enough games, other clubs aren't, that's how it should be.

Yes, we want to see clubs develop their own young players and play in front of packed stadiums, but that's not the reality, it never will be.

19 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Take note, Salford lost both the matches that Hastings was suspended.

Take note: the Leeds loss was a joke and the Rhinos were at home.

Other than that your post was a shining example of decorum, politeness and the moral high-ground.

Archived