Widnes's £250k incentive to lose on Sunday

According to Brian Carney, the "parachute payment" to Widnes will be halved if a second SL club is relegated. 

This gives Widnes as a club a £250k incentive to lose to Hull KR on Sunday. If they win, they gain nothing, but risk Hull KR's relegation, and a huge financial loss. 

If players stood to gain financially from their team losing, we'd ban them (Long and Gleeson). This is a whole club who have a very large vested interest in losing.

The way Widnes are playing I'm sure that if they try to lose they'll fail.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

7 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Of course a wealthy owner could, were he so minded, offer Widnes £500k to win or lose by fewer than 14.

It would be no more ludicrous, unfair or immoral than the position as is.

I think it happens in some countries legally in football but not here.

There is always speculation about teams trying in such games but nearly always they do.

To be honest I think it is a bit disrespectful to Widnes to suggest they will be at all inclined to lose a game deliberately. 

9 minutes ago, Niels said:

There is always speculation about teams trying in such games but nearly always they do.

To be honest I think it is a bit disrespectful to Widnes to suggest they will be at all inclined to lose a game deliberately. 

Oh I agree. If I were a Widnes player, professional pride would kick in. Not to mention the risk of injury.

Just pointing out the farce of the situation.

3 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Oh I agree. If I were a Widnes player, professional pride would kick in. Not to mention the risk of injury.

Thanks. Yes I agree with you fully. The league have left themselves open to criticism. 

It's the same for me as a fan too. I always want my team to win regardless of how it affects other outcomes.

1 minute ago, dixiedean said:

Normally, if all was at stake was league position, I’d agree. I wanted to win every game as a player, no matter what.

However, I never played for my living, and that’s seven or eight salaries there from the budget Widnes will need having said they plan to stay full-time next year. If I thought that next year’s mortgage and family income could be guaranteed by losing, but would be put at risk by winning, I think I might put my family first. 

12 minutes ago, Niels said:

Depends on if that extra £250k means they have an equivalent contract for next season. Nobody could blame them for protecting their livelihood.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

This is the most utterly ludicrous situation. How on earth can this be even allowed.

How much were Draper and Nigel Wood paid off again?

Once again,  it's nothing to do with them. SL clubs decided this.

10 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Of course a wealthy owner could, were he so minded, offer Widnes £500k to win or lose by fewer than 14.

Not necessary.

A few of us are all chipping in to make up for Widnes's potential shortfall.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived