Getting to Old Trafford

yanto

1 minute ago, yanto said:

To be honest its the getting to and getting back that concerns me more than the hotel prices (within reason)

I understand they bang them up on nights like this.

I dont mind paying a little over the odds as long as I can get to and from OT, within reason, especially with an eight year old in tow .

The worst aspect of using the tram to get back for me is the impatient few who’ve been on the pop all day and just squeeze onto an already packed tram. Not pleasant for an adult let alone a child. 

rldfsignature.jpg

9 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Yes but if you are the wrong side of the city centre you still have the problem of a packed OT metro station and not enough trams. That’s why we used to stay in Sale and Altrincham.  Does anyone know if the situation is the same on the metro when United are at home or do they put more trams on to cope with the extra people but we don’t get that privilege for the GF?

Pretty much the same, although there does generally tend to more double length trams on a United matchday

10 minutes ago, yanto said:

To be honest its the getting to and getting back that concerns me more than the hotel prices (within reason)

I dont mind paying a little over the odds as long as I can get to and from OT, within reason, especially with an eight year old in tow .

If you end up in a hotel in town, the best bet is to wait & watch the trophy presentation (approx 8pm), walk to Salford Quays & grab a quick drink. By that point the majority will have left, so trams are pretty quiet then

19 minutes ago, yanto said:

Getting to Old Trafford is a doddle as long as you don't leave it until the last second. I have got the tram and even just flagged down taxi's in the past (usually just get out fairly close due to the traffic). Its the getting back which is more of an issue hence why sometimes just walk.

I also echo the drunken fans comment, the last time I got the bus a drunken teenager spewed everywhere whilst we were waiting to even be allowed to move. Once the bus did finally get going it was like trying to dodge the said vomit as it gradually moved around the floor of the bus as the bus moved!! Not pleasant at all.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

The metro is good to get to OT from the city centre. Getting back can be a pain though. They never seem to have enough carriages on the trams for the volume if people who use it after the match. That’s why I now either stay in the other direction (Sale, Altrincham etc.) or around Salford Quays. I personally wouldn’t attempt to go for a drink near the stadium either. The pubs nearby are usually rammed or charge for entry.

I thought they also ran a fleet of buses to the city centre after the game. Used them several times. Used to be 50 pence. Do they still do that?  

The tram is much too busy going to OT. We always catch the bus from Portland Street. Four or five services and not too busy if you leave town about 445pm.

2 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

The tram is much too busy going to OT. We always catch the bus from Portland Street. Four or five services and not too busy if you leave town about 445pm.

That obviously depends on what time you leave for OT. I’ve been on busy trams to OT to get there in good time to see the pre match entertainment but I wouldn’t say any of them were much too busy.

rldfsignature.jpg

Better off going for a bite to eat after the game and get a later tram back into the city centre,there is a few places on Trafford Road Matchstick Man,Frankie & Bennys and a Mexican I can’t remember the name of.

19 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Better off going for a bite to eat after the game and get a later tram back into the city centre,there is a few places on Trafford Road Matchstick Man,Frankie & Bennys and a Mexican I can’t remember the name of.

Chiquito.

It's definitely a wise move to head to the Salford Quays area to get the tram back.

Archived