Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Parksider

Transatlantic League just days away??

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Some vivid imaginations on this subject.Save them all until after the next Sky deal,if indeed there is one.

But if we all air our ideas now, Sky will be able to see what the possibilities are for the future. I bet this thread alone has added a few more thousand pounds to the next tv deal. Better make that dollars, in this bright new future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linda Thorson, of the Avengers  TV series (1961 to 1969) , is from Toronto. Her son, it seems, still lives there.

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

But if we all air our ideas now, Sky will be able to see what the possibilities are for the future. I bet this thread alone has added a few more thousand pounds to the next tv deal. Better make that dollars, in this bright new future.

  When contrasted with the Australian TV coverage of the NRL,with good commentary and excellent analysis,it would seem SKY,and their recruitment of staff,is as caring about the publicity for the sport as it is not causing inconvenience for the supporter planning to attend the games,which then have a late change of date and ko time.

 Trying to keep on thread,and despite the OP dismissing Hemel and West Wales,however good Mr Perez may be at generating interest in the sport,he may find difficulty in attracting television interest in North American clubs starting off in League 1 - until the North American clubs,should they appear,reach Super League.

  Unless the rules change,again. 


     Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parky,i do share some of your concerns,but I think a lot of your detractors on here, not only disagree with you but are tired of you raising the same points over and over again.

My question to you is, if you were in charge of the game, what is your vision of how to grow the game, if it's obviously not the inclusion of North American or Canadian teams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, red rose said:

Parky,i do share some of your concerns,but I think a lot of your detractors on here, not only disagree with you but are tired of you raising the same points over and over again.

My question to you is, if you were in charge of the game, what is your vision of how to grow the game, if it's obviously not the inclusion of North American or Canadian teams.

 

An obese man with a weak heart is told to drastically lose weight. So he cuts his legs off. 

Problem solved right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

But your bio says you're from Southampton? I'm confused....

Now, now no need for Sotophobia mush! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Linda Thorson, of the Avengers  TV series (1961 to 1969) , is from Toronto. Her son, it seems, still lives there.

I think you'll find that Linda Thorson as Tara King appeared in 1968–69. (Prior to that it was: 1961-65 Honor Blackman as Cathy Gale, then Diana Rigg as Emma Peel)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like a park's greatest hits post.... Where greatest means miserably embarrassing, obviously. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Parksider said:

most likely

You do enjoy over using the conditional.

So, to cut a long story short, you're all for it then?


“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gluedo said:

 

Starting with development in Toronto schools, it would take at least 10 years to maybe produce a Canadian born RL player good enough for a pro-contract. To fast track the process, TWP would need to convert Canadian athletes already competing in other sports - likely either RU, CFL or possibly track. And as we know, that route is hardly fail-safe either. 

It's basically much cheaper to buy 'off-the-shelf' RL players already in SL or the NRL than it is to spend money on what-ifs, maybes and wait-10-years-to find outs!

What really surprises me is that is a very obvious statement you make, what surprises me even more is that there are a lot of very level headed people I would go even further than that and say some very intellegent people who post comments on this platform, for whatever reason they seem to dismiss the clear and apparent frailty of the Canadian and further North American venture that they are not actually expanding the game of RL Football to new participants of the sport, no question they are obtaining a good number of new spectators to the game.

High rollers can walk into any facet of buisness, establishment or lifestyle and buy up what they please, but if they can only take out without having the ability of giving back in terms of the resorces available (in this case, players) especially when recruiting from a buisness model with a diminishing production line, something has to give, multiple teams not giving back will have dire consequences especially if they replace teams who actually produce players.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

The most striking thing for me is the fact that there are no Canadian players in TWP. Imagine being a spectator going to a game for the first time, staying behind to get apparel signed etc then not hearing a single accent you can identify with. What connection does the team have to the city they're supposed to be representing? At the moment, many words come to mind when describing the team. I'm not questioning the authenticity of the TWP but at some point you have to ask, how long will the team be relying on Aussies/Brits to the fill the ranks? This is why I've always said that building the foundations ie grassroots is the most important step in expansion. Hopefully development plans are underway 

I am guessing you’ve never been to Toronto? Over half of the population was born outside of Canada. Being foreign is something people in Toronto identify with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red rose said:

Parky,i do share some of your concerns,but I think a lot of your detractors on here, not only disagree with you but are tired of you raising the same points over and over again.

My question to you is, if you were in charge of the game, what is your vision of how to grow the game, if it's obviously not the inclusion of North American or Canadian teams.

I've said it before, but my idea is to export the 14 League One teams to different and prestigious world locations. This would include those mentioned already - Los Angeles, New York, Miami, and Vancouver, but would also include Rome, Monaco, Tokyo, etc.

I would then ask Sky and other TV broadcasters how much they would be willing to pay to show this new league. I'm assuming that they would pay a fortune for it - many times more than the existing SL deal, given the sorts of places that I would be taking the game to, and the potential tv audience.

Once I've sold the rights, I would use the TV money to sweeten the deal for those players who will have to move from Batley to LA, and York to New York (a marketing man's dream), etc. as well as giving a bit of money to the areas that will have lost their teams - although I would expect them to be able to continue anyway, by poaching players from lower league teams.

The beauty of this plan is that if it fails - either at the preliminary stage by the TV companies not offering enough money, or after a year or so, we just close down the league and return all the players back to where they came from. Basically it's a version of what the NFL did with their European adventure back in the late 1980's and 90's. I'm calling it instant expansion. Think more Big Bang, than slow growth.

And the special bonus is that because we'd be exporting poorer quality players, it will be much easier for the new clubs to develop their own players to the required standard. Home grown players should be entering the teams in only a couple of years, and not the 10 or so years that is being predicted it will take Toronto to develop SL quality players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding. But I would call it instant explosion! Of the thermonuclear type, one millisecond of intense radiant magnificence, followed by total devastation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

  When contrasted with the Australian TV coverage of the NRL,with good commentary and excellent analysis,it would seem SKY,and their recruitment of staff,is as caring about the publicity for the sport as it is not causing inconvenience for the supporter planning to attend the games,which then have a late change of date and ko time.

 Trying to keep on thread,and despite the OP dismissing Hemel and West Wales,however good Mr Perez may be at generating interest in the sport,he may find difficulty in attracting television interest in North American clubs starting off in League 1 - until the North American clubs,should they appear,reach Super League.

  Unless the rules change,again. 

No more highlighted by Sky than in its new advertising promotion of spoting events for October, "All the best" on SKY they proclaim, not a even a bleep for RL even though in October they televise their major RL transmition, the Grand Final.

Don't hold your breath guys, 2021 may just be the begining of the end!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've said it before, but my idea is to export the 14 League One teams to different and prestigious world locations. This would include those mentioned already - Los Angeles, New York, Miami, and Vancouver, but would also include Rome, Monaco, Tokyo, etc.

I would then ask Sky and other TV broadcasters how much they would be willing to pay to show this new league. I'm assuming that they would pay a fortune for it - many times more than the existing SL deal, given the sorts of places that I would be taking the game to, and the potential tv audience.

Once I've sold the rights, I would use the TV money to sweeten the deal for those players who will have to move from Batley to LA, and York to New York (a marketing man's dream), etc. as well as giving a bit of money to the areas that will have lost their teams - although I would expect them to be able to continue anyway, by poaching players from lower league teams.

The beauty of this plan is that if it fails - either at the preliminary stage by the TV companies not offering enough money, or after a year or so, we just close down the league and return all the players back to where they came from. Basically it's a version of what the NFL did with their European adventure back in the late 1980's and 90's. I'm calling it instant expansion. Think more Big Bang, than slow growth.

And the special bonus is that because we'd be exporting poorer quality players, it will be much easier for the new clubs to develop their own players to the required standard. Home grown players should be entering the teams in only a couple of years, and not the 10 or so years that is being predicted it will take Toronto to develop SL quality players.

 

I doubt it would be ‘instant’, e.g. it might take you a while just to sort out the immigration problem that you’ll be faced with. Then there’s the medical cover you’d need to put in place for players and their families, Talking of families you’d have to sort out kids education, and who’d pay for it. Then there’s the logistics to look at, arranging travel etc to move the players around to games, the media rights you’d have to negotiate, the officials you’d have to find. Etc, etc, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't hold your breath guys, 2021 may just be the begining of the end!

Harry you gotta try to be more positive....

Edited by Kayakman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What really surprises me is that is a very obvious statement you make, what surprises me even more is that there are a lot of very level headed people I would go even further than that and say some very intellegent people who post comments on this platform, for whatever reason they seem to dismiss the clear and apparent frailty of the Canadian and further North American venture that they are not actually expanding the game of RL Football to new participants of the sport, no question they are obtaining a good number of new spectators to the game.

High rollers can walk into any facet of buisness, establishment or lifestyle and buy up what they please, but if they can only take out without having the ability of giving back in terms of the resorces available (in this case, players) especially when recruiting from a buisness model with a diminishing production line, something has to give, multiple teams not giving back will have dire consequences especially if they replace teams who actually produce players.

Time will tell us whether this is another Paris or Crusaders, but we have seen many times that what TWP have already done (build that fan base and media profile from scratch) really isn't easy, even in popular Rugby areas. 

I think that is why they get support from many.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TBone said:

I doubt it would be ‘instant’, e.g. it might take you a while just to sort out the immigration problem that you’ll be faced with. Then there’s the medical cover you’d need to put in place for players and their families, Talking of families you’d have to sort out kids education, and who’d pay for it. Then there’s the logistics to look at, arranging travel etc to move the players around to games, the media rights you’d have to negotiate, the officials you’d have to find. Etc, etc, etc.

It will be in such demand that the TV companies will develop the WWC (World Wide Creche) facility to look after all the kids, and don't forget all the private jets tgey will commision, all painted in the clubs colours of course, immigration no problem, Michel Barnier will be the new RLIF immigration officer he will negotiate Global Freedom of Movement specifically for Rugby League player's and their immediate families.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pahars said:

Now, now no need for Sotophobia mush! 

Oh but there is - I worked there for a while and it's up there with Middlesbrough when it comes to mediocre, bland, boring, midsize cities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What really surprises me is that is a very obvious statement you make, what surprises me even more is that there are a lot of very level headed people I would go even further than that and say some very intellegent people who post comments on this platform, for whatever reason they seem to dismiss the clear and apparent frailty of the Canadian and further North American venture that they are not actually expanding the game of RL Football to new participants of the sport.....multiple teams not giving back will have dire consequences especially if they replace teams who actually produce players.

I was grappling with this a few months ago. The answer might have to be some sort of international conference system like Not-So Super Rugby to avoid killing the goose which lays the eggs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

I've said it before, but my idea is to export the 14 League One teams to different and prestigious world locations. This would include those mentioned already - Los Angeles, New York, Miami, and Vancouver, but would also include Rome, Monaco, Tokyo, etc.

 

 

I have just ran this idea past my wife and she has decided she does not want to be transplanted at this stage of her life

  • Haha 1

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

The most striking thing for me is the fact that there are no Canadian players in TWP. Imagine being a spectator going to a game for the first time, staying behind to get apparel signed etc then not hearing a single accent you can identify with. What connection does the team have to the city they're supposed to be representing? At the moment, many words come to mind when describing the team. I'm not questioning the authenticity of the TWP but at some point you have to ask, how long will the team be relying on Aussies/Brits to the fill the ranks? This is why I've always said that building the foundations ie grassroots is the most important step in expansion. Hopefully development plans are underway 


The reality is that nation of origin isn't a concern in North American pro sports club culture. The Blue Jays have 2 Canadians on their 40 man roster. The Raptors have no Canadians. The Leafs roster has numerous Europeans for whom English isn't even their first language; support has never hinged upon local or national representation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a beautiful day in Canberra today.

I might grab myself a nice hot chocolate this morning to help start the day.

I might also buy some Thai food for lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...