NZ Ferns v AUS Jillaroos - 13 October 2018

Jillaroos squad
Kezie Apps (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Chelsea Baker (Brisbane Broncos)
Heather Ballinger (Brisbane Broncos)
Annette Brander (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Brittany Breayley (Brisbane Broncos)
Samantha Bremner (Captain) (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Ali Brigginshaw (Brisbane Broncos)
Keeley Davis (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Tazmin Gray (Sydney Roosters)
Steph Hancock (Brisbane Broncos)
Isabelle Kelly (Sydney Roosters)
Julia Robinson (Brisbane Broncos)
Jess Sergis (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Hannah Southwell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Simaima Taufa (Sydney Roosters)
Zahara Temara (Sydney Roosters)
Eliana Walton (Sydney Roosters)
Holli Wheeler (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Kiwi Ferns squad
Raquel Anderson-Pitman, Apii Nicholls, Langi Veainu, Amber Kani, Annetta-Claudia Nuuausala, Aieshaleigh Smalley, Laura Mariu, Onjeurlina Leiataua, Masuisuimatamaalii Tauasa-Pauaraisa (all Warriors), Ngatokotoru Arakua, Karley Te Kawa, Kimiora Nati, Teuila Fotu-Moala, Maitua Feterika, Lavinia Gould, Lilieta Maumau (all Broncos), Honey Hireme, Raecene McGregor (both Dragons), Nita Maynard (Roosters)

That's a very strong Jillaroos selection.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The New Zealand Kiwi Ferns play host to World Cup champions the Jillaroos at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday in the first and only battle between the two nations in 2018.

With no Nines tournament or mid-season Test match this year, players from both sides have been kept busy with State of Origin and the NRL Holden Women's Premiership. But now they get another taste of international rugby league.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/09/new-zealand-kiwi-ferns-v-australia-jillaroos-preview/

New Zealand Kiwi Ferns v Australia Jillaroos, Saturday, October 13, 3pm (5pm AEST)
Venue: Mt Smart Stadium
Head-to-head: Played 21; Kiwi Ferns 15 wins, Jillaroos 6 wins
Previous result: Jillaroos won 23-16 in the 2017 World Cup final
Televised: Live on GEM, Fox League and Sky Sports 2 (NZ)

I thought the ferns did well to get back into it but the Aussies have taken it to another level these days with the fitness and structure.

Not sure if it’s a coincidence but the respective male and female teams are very similar in style - the Aussies are very fit and structured in defence whilst the Kiwis are more unstructured, ad-hoc, relying more on power and individual skill

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Not sure if it’s a coincidence but the respective male and female teams are very similar in style - the Aussies are very fit and structured in defence whilst the Kiwis are more unstructured, ad-hoc, relying more on power and individual skill

I'd agree with that. The Ferns used to have the upper hand with their explosive aggression, but the Jillaroos got smart and have dominated recently. So it was gratifying to see the match being this close. The New Zealanders are also benefiting from WNRL.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived