2019 Squad and signings

jroyales

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, Dave Naylor said:

Richie Hawkard becomes a Roughyed --- at last !

EIGHTEEN years ago, way back when Mike Ford was Oldham’s coach, a wide-eyed 14-year-old boy from Huddersfield trained with Roughyeds, hoping to follow in the footsteps of his uncle and become an Oldham player.

Read full article

I was really sorry to see Richie (and his brother Darren) leave Swinton after we gained promotion, Richie was the captain at the time, probably one of the best full backs we have ever had...…..great competitor. I am sure he will do well and good luck to him and of course Oldham for 2019 season

Hawkyard and Wilkinson along with Grimmer and Bent is the type of good old and young mix we should be looking at and if this the type of squad we are trying to build then I say bring it on. 

Must say that the signings so far have whet my appetite for the coming season with a good dollop of firm favourites from last season and proven players from other clubs. It looks like Nobby is also recruiting players who are capable of playing in a number of positions.

Added to this, I too am intrigued at the club waiting till the awards night to "announce their latest capture" which tends to have us believe that it is something special.  I do hope so.

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

After fearing the worst following the end of season fall-out the positive signings the club have made over the last couple of weeks have really been much needed. Intrigued about the announcement at the Awards Night....not one for speculation but it would be great to have George Tyson back is he on a contract at Swinton or is he now a free agent ?

I do not think George Tyson is on a two year contract and nothing (yet) has been said about him signing on for 2019, would be really sorry to see him leave Swinton, had a great season playing in a team that did not do itself justice all season. His discipline was excellent even when he was the target of some cheap shots from opposition players, scored several exciting tries, turned out even when he was clearly unfit, so for me he had an great season.

If you do get him back he would be a real asset...……..there were rumours that he was on his way to Australia - but that may have been fake news. 

Thanks for the update wayne_r can't agree more with your comments. I recall travelling to Sheffield (away at Wakefield) in Tyson's last season with the Yeds and he literally scored a try whilst clearly being impacted by injury. He finished the season carrying a multitude of knocks tbh...

11 hours ago, ChampagneCharlieReturns said:

Tyson has gone to Sydney for a year and is playing there too

Thanks for the update and good for him nevertheless I'd love him back at the Yeds though maybe when we return to the Championship !!

These new signings are very interesting. They seem to be a bit of a departure from how Naylor has operated since he arrived as he has looked to bring in players he already knew or very young players who he could mold into our team and was very successful at.

However as we have seen this has led to diminishing returns in the last two years. These new signings  could fire up the dressing room in a different way than we haven been used to. Also having Hawkyard and Grimshaw in key pivot roles could lead to a change in the style of play which i  think is necessary if we want to progress back to the Championship.

Bishop-Jones's try scoring rate is very good. He's quick and pace has been something we have been missing for a number of years going back to Lucas since we had a jet on the wing. Can also play  a bit of centre which is always handy.

Archived