2019 Squad and signings

jroyales

7 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

No idea to be honest.  

Light in squad is my point when has a coach watched as a oldham coach watched a game in oldham The club needs to engage with oldham people I know lads who are hands down better than half the salford or Leigh lads Naylor has signed over the last 7 years but never been offered a break 

ask Scot Naylor hand on heart has he ever watched a youth game in oldham then question why people of oldham don’t watch their local team 

how hard is the business plan now to write 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ the record is stuck again folks.

The Oldham coach watches a game in Oldham every fortnight ?

How come these "lads" you mention that are better were not signed by other clubs then and given a break by them?

You are seriously telling me there are 20 amateur players in Oldham at this moment that are better than the squad we have signed so far?

Like I said previously, if there was a reserve grade in place across RL then I'm sure local lads would be placed in those to see if they can cut the mustard and step up to the higher level. Not many clubs will take a chance on packing their team with amateurs if they are serious about a promotion bid.

How many local amateurs do Hornets have in their squad? Or Hunslet? Or Donny? Or Worky?

Jog on back to Lower Falinge and take your hatred of all things Oldham with you, you really have no idea .

Occasionally you make a valid point and I take you off ignore, my mistake, back onto the blacklist you go. If we all stick this troll on ignore maybe it will disappear.

Troll-Spray-10-25-2010.jpg

52 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Jog on back to Lower Falinge and take your hatred of all things Oldham with you, you really have no idea .

Occasionally you make a valid point and I take you off ignore, my mistake, back onto the blacklist you go. If we all stick this troll on ignore maybe it will disappear.

Awww, don't send him away R34, the other trolls seem to have gone into hibernation and Lnia is the only one left to provide some light entertainment now ?

12 hours ago, Little no it all said:

Light in squad is my point when has a coach watched as a oldham coach watched a game in oldham The club needs to engage with oldham people I know lads who are hands down better than half the salford or Leigh lads Naylor has signed over the last 7 years but never been offered a break 

ask Scot Naylor hand on heart has he ever watched a youth game in oldham then question why people of oldham don’t watch their local team 

how hard is the business plan now to write 

Yawn 

13 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

The Oldham coach watches a game in Oldham every fortnight ?

How come these "lads" you mention that are better were not signed by other clubs then and given a break by them?

You are seriously telling me there are 20 amateur players in Oldham at this moment that are better than the squad we have signed so far?

Like I said previously, if there was a reserve grade in place across RL then I'm sure local lads would be placed in those to see if they can cut the mustard and step up to the higher level. Not many clubs will take a chance on packing their team with amateurs if they are serious about a promotion bid.

How many local amateurs do Hornets have in their squad? Or Hunslet? Or Donny? Or Worky?

Troll-Spray-10-25-2010.jpg

I don’t think oldham amauter clubs have 20 players good enough to step up but seems like Halifax do Oldham have signed at least 3 lads from siddal last year 

who from oldham coaching team has watched these lads play before they were signed and did they watch any games on oldham 

no they didn’t kids justed signed on word of mates 

I assume the lads from Siddal were recommended to the club by people within the game and subsequently invited for trials at the club and given contracts due to their potential/performance. Harry Maders an Oldham lad was given a trial at the same time as was another trialist in Chris Barlow,neither of those players were awarded contracts.

I think you will find especially at the lower levels of pro RL that amateur players who have slipped the SL academy net or are late developers are mainly "recommended" to clubs who then decide to give them a trial and contracts if deemed suitable.

Coaching staff at our level simply dont have the time to watch every player personally, they are not full time and have jobs outside of RL,therefore relying mainly on their contacts around the game to highlight potential recruits.

Not all amateur lads want to play at a higher level, some are happy with there clubs and no matter how good dont want to commit to a higher level for whatever reason,family,work etc.

If there is a good amateur Oldham lad out there suitable for us im sure within Scott and Pete's vast contacts someone will recommend him to them and they will deal with it as they see fit.

I try to explain to you there is no pathway possible from because there is no reserve grade in place across the whole of RL. 

We have not signed "kids" from Keighley, just a couple of vastly experienced players.

I try to explain that coaching staff at Oldham and most likely other clubs simply dont have time to watch every amateur game going and im sure that a coach at Saddleworth/St Annes, Higgy etc would recommend a player if they thought it would be of value to Oldham or any other club.

On the other thread you seem surprised that we get central funding, as does every club including your beloved Hornets, if it wasnt for central funding then a lot of clubs (not just Oldham) would not exist without private backing.

I try to answer your oft repeated questions politely and to the best of my knowledge, yet your responses are to ask the very same question that i and others have tried to answer for you. 

I suggest if you want answers for your questions that you speak to Oldham RLFC directly, (the number is on the website), you know the excellent website at www.roughyeds.co.uk just in case you can't find it as you have alluded to previously.

If you had been to the presentation night Scott Naylor took a questions and answer session, you could have got all your answers there ?

8 hours ago, Little no it all said:

Scott or Pete have never spoke to anyone at my local club  but the keep signing kids from league 1 sides who can’t pay wages and ended up mid table 

Has anyone from oldham rugby watched a game at Saddleworth or st Anne’s this year 

Yes

Can we stick to the topic of the squad and signings please.  Thread drift happens but in this case can we keep it on track.  Thanks!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

The topic is squad and signings, Lnia is questioning why we dont sign local players, id say its still relevant to "squad and signings" if only loosely.

Your the man with the power Bedford, move the posts you dont see as relevant to a new topic header if you like. Lnia will be back soon to add to the discussion on this one, might save you a job in the long run ?

7 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

The topic is squad and signings, Lnia is questioning why we dont sign local players, id say its still relevant to "squad and signings" if only loosely.

As an benevolent dictator, I listen to the will of the people.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Updated  -

Fullback - Hawkyard

Wing - Jones-Bishop, Johnson

Centre - Holmes, McComb

Utility Back - Grimmer

Half back - Crook, Hewitt,

Prop - Joy, Spencer, Nelmes, Davies, Law

Hooker - Wilko, Owen, Greenwood

Second Row - Bent, Calland, Bridge, Whittel

Loose Forward - Bowman

Squad = 21

Archived