2019 Squad and signings

jroyales

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with that Brooksy.

Failsworth Yed, i would go for an experienced, nasty unit to shore up the front row. Im not against giving a big, young lad a go but in this division we could do with the "old head" up front.

Yet again for all the faults that Mr H and the club have, we are putting together another strong looking squad for the coming season. That on a shoestring budget is admirable, as is the loyalty of some of the players and the coaching staff. 

We have our gripes but our players always get paid, bills get paid eventually ha, the club soldiers on under financial constraints and we get to watch a side packed with passion and enthusiasm in our shirt.

Just wish we could get more fans down to Vestacare it would help massively financially, the lads who represent Oldham deserve the support,I know in some ways its not the most "attractive" of fixture lists in league 1, but at the end of the day its those lads in red and white that we go to watch and support.

Ps: Before Lalar or Little no it all put it, im gonna laugh at my own post and save them the bother :) 

Edit: The forum wont let me laugh at myself, gutted :(

I'd be looking more for an impact sort of prop in the style of Wardy. In Joy,Nelmes,Davies,Spencer we have the hard work. A prop who can come on even in short stints and bust the line, break a few tackles is what we need. Not too fussed about experience.

Would like another winger as that would give us even more flexibility to move Johnson to full back and Hawkyard to stand off if we wanted to be more attacking in a few games. Another back rower would be handy as well with Bridgey being out for a stint of the season.

After that i'd be very happy to go into the season.

Updated  -

Fullback - Hawkyard

Wing - Jones-Bishop, Johnson

Centre - Holmes, McComb

Utility Back - Grimmer

Half back - Crook, Hewitt,

Prop - Joy, Spencer, Nelmes, Davies

Hooker - Wilko, Owen, Greenwood

Second Row - Bent, Calland, Bridge

Loose Forward - Bowman

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

47 minutes ago, SINGE said:

I've seen a new signing in the media, and don't want to scoop Dave, that would be properly illegal, but I  feel like the big cat that got the cream despite the circumstances....

Yeah, it's ready to go but it may have to be brought forward now.  

1 hour ago, Dave Naylor said:

Yeah, it's ready to go but it may have to be brought forward now.  

I thought my hints were quite good, without revealing. I should be a cryptic crossword compiler!

Edit now Dave has released:

I've seen a new signing in the media, and don't want to scoop Dave, that would be properly illegal, but I  feel like the big cat that got the cream despite the circumstances.... Law from Cougars. ?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/angry-veteran-rawlins-fears-for-future-of-crisis-club-keighley-1-9456059

Updated  -

Fullback - Hawkyard

Wing - Jones-Bishop, Johnson

Centre - Holmes, McComb

Utility Back - Grimmer

Half back - Crook, Hewitt,

Prop - Joy, Spencer, Nelmes, Davies, Law

Hooker - Wilko, Owen, Greenwood

Second Row - Bent, Calland, Bridge

Loose Forward - Bowman

Squad = 20

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

So what do we need?  Another winger, centre and second row?  A squad of 23 plus any scraps from DR?

Sounds about right that Bedford, I'd say we would maybe go for a squad of 24 plus DR another winger,centre,prop and a utility would suit me 

Looking through the squad we have there are loads of options available to the boss.

Quite a few players can play in different positions as required, for example Crooky,Grimmer,Bowman at 6, Spanner,Benty,Calland,Grimmer,Bowman,Bridgey in the second row/loose forward. Probably one of the most versatile squads we have had in a long time.

Hopefully a handful of signings to come yet, personally I would like to see Danny Rasool stay with us, he hasn't yet made a position his own but can cover centre/second row, never let us down when he has played.

Can't criticise the recruitment this close season, on paper it looks like a pretty strong and competitive squad, good mix of youth and experience this time round.

22 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Sounds about right that Bedford, I'd say we would maybe go for a squad of 24 plus DR another winger,centre,prop and a utility would suit me 

Looking through the squad we have there are loads of options available to the boss.

Quite a few players can play in different positions as required, for example Crooky,Grimmer,Bowman at 6, Spanner,Benty,Calland,Grimmer,Bowman,Bridgey in the second row/loose forward. Probably one of the most versatile squads we have had in a long time.

Hopefully a handful of signings to come yet, personally I would like to see Danny Rasool stay with us, he hasn't yet made a position his own but can cover centre/second row, never let us down when he has played.

Can't criticise the recruitment this close season, on paper it looks like a pretty strong and competitive squad, good mix of youth and experience this time round.

I think Hawkyard can play in the halves too?  So we have some good options.  Its a pity we have to have a 'light' squad in terms of numbers, but what we get on the budget is pretty good.  Does mean a few injuries (or long bans...) can really impact the season.  

1 minute ago, Little no it all said:

Who are you DR with this year 

No idea to be honest.  

Archived