Expressions Of Interest Sought For New 'Southern Premier League'.

2 hours ago, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

On the one hand I agree.

On the other hand, this comp is launched as a much vaunted rival to its northern partner, but if the teams (not clubs) dont have second teams or juniors, arent playing any longer season than previous, cancel games due to player availability, cant generate their own finance, etc etc then it doesnt look credible in the eyes of the wider game.

Im hoping the above is not the case, but despite asking several times, nobody can tell me what is better and different about this league. In the west, we've got five teams 'elevated' from two leagues. Is whats left behind now sustainable? 5 teams are they going to play each other three times to have 12 games, which they played last year anyway? I just want to see what advances and development looks like, as at the minute all the 'news' lacks substance.

I think you have a good grip of the situation.  However, you know full well that even with the best of intentions, a lot of those criteria you've laid out aren't possible. Even teams in the NCL dip on games and you don't have to go to far on this board to see criticism of that structure.

I've said repeatedly - and nobody will listen - that the only way we can move forward in the south of England is to get an eight-month season.  Nobody is going to get better playing 3 1/2 months per year.  You can't develop a club or a facility playing 3 1/2 months per year.  However, it requires any number of conditions to be met for all clubs as well as a collective leap of faith from several parties who don't trust each other and have no reason to trust each other.

In saying that, there are teams with seconds and juniors (and masters).  However, with no unified season, no facilities and weak sponsor/institutional support, I think it's difficult to come as far as they have.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:13 AM, MidlandsRugbyLeague said:

On the one hand I agree.

On the other hand, this comp is launched as a much vaunted rival to its northern partner, but if the teams (not clubs) dont have second teams or juniors, arent playing any longer season than previous, cancel games due to player availability, cant generate their own finance, etc etc then it doesnt look credible in the eyes of the wider game.

Im hoping the above is not the case, but despite asking several times, nobody can tell me what is better and different about this league. In the west, we've got five teams 'elevated' from two leagues. Is whats left behind now sustainable? 5 teams are they going to play each other three times to have 12 games, which they played last year anyway? I just want to see what advances and development looks like, as at the minute all the 'news' lacks substance.

The teams being left behind are my biggest fear and could a couple of the clubs be killed off, keeping on this subject is the continual expansion of the NCL doing the same to the regional leagues ?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

18 minutes ago, Marauder said:

The teams being left behind are my biggest fear and could a couple of the clubs be killed off, keeping on this subject is the continual expansion of the NCL doing the same to the regional leagues ?

That is actually one of the persistent criticisms of the expansion of the NCL.  For all the criticism levelled at this league and the attempt to create some sort of unified pyramid, the NCL is a bloated mess that has weakened regional leagues and hasn't created a formal pyramid at all.

9 hours ago, bbfaz said:

That is actually one of the persistent criticisms of the expansion of the NCL.  For all the criticism levelled at this league and the attempt to create some sort of unified pyramid, the NCL is a bloated mess that has weakened regional leagues and hasn't created a formal pyramid at all.

Cumbria is going to be left in a tiz waz for the clubs being left behind.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

On 12/26/2018 at 12:28 AM, bbfaz said:

Bloated Mess?

Unified Pyramid ?

We are the only  major amateur  league still under it's own control. Everything below us is now  run directly by the RFL. If regional leagues are a cause for concern then point your finger elsewhere.

For years we have had a structure capable  of looking after 56 clubs. We moved  up to 50 this year because of concerns over some clubs in Division 2 ( not 3 ).  Flexibility in management can be of importance.... 

We  were a unified pyramid with the ' professionals ' in 1996 . They failed us. Since then we have looked after ourselves. If and when they knock on the door again we will of course listen....

But meanwhile  Conference South is to be labelled Tier 4 by the RFL . So be it. The lads at Wigan RUFC  last week in the first amateur cross code charity  clash between them and St Pats would no doubt smile and say ok.

A council member at that event at Douglas Valley  told me the RFL were not prepared/ did not have accounts to present at the recent AGM.

Bloated mess ?  Give us a break......

Archived