TWP - Argyle talking philosophic approach.

Interesting piece from the RR website.  BTW, I don’t subscribe!
shadow bottom

4 October 2018

As Toronto Wolfpack prepare for their chance to join Super LeagueTSN in Canada has published a feature on David Argyle, their Australian-born director who tends to shun the limelight:

The 57-year-old Australian, who works in the mining, energy and agriculture sectors often in emerging markets, travels more than 200 days a year. But while passionate about raising the profile of the Wolfpack, Argyle is happy to stay in the background.

“As soon as the focus becomes on the owners, sports clubs can go sideways,” Argyle said in a rare interview. “The focus should be on the team, the coaches, the fans, the sponsors, the broadcast distribution platform.”

“So it’s really the philosophy that (when) an owner has the attention drawn towards them then I think it’s a distraction from where the real energy should be,” he added.

Getting the Wolfpack into Super League is only part of Argyle’s plan. He wants to create a global sports platform for the sport with Toronto as the centre, bringing other events to town.

The team, which currently pays for TV production of home games, says it already reaches 115 million homes around the globe through its broadcast partners.

And what is good for the Wolfpack is good for Toronto and its surrounding attractions, Argyle argues.

Argyle says the Wolfpack attracted a little more than 1,000 British visitors to Toronto last season and an estimated 3,000 this year. Next year, if in Super League, they hope to attract 15,000 tourists

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Does that mean Toronto at home could be in Dublin? Wow. I would still much rather go to Toronto. 

You don't need to worry they're going to play the Warriors in Cleckheaton or Little Lever !

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Does that mean Toronto at home could be in Dublin? Wow. I would still much rather go to Toronto. 

Well I would rather go to Dublin to be quite honest...and I just might if they play there!

On 10/5/2018 at 1:08 AM, Kayakman said:

Wants early games to travel to places like Dublin and Copenhagen next year...fella has vision.

Big Picture has already explained to me that he would not be interested in such things as playing in a Scandinavian capital city.  I stood corrected.

I hope he has consulted them first?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

Scotchy and Big Picture have already explained to me that he would not be interested in such things as playing in a Scandinavian capital city.  I stood corrected.

I hope he has consulted them first?

Argyle believes in a 'groupthink' approach...he does the thinking and the group follows. 

Follow the money Baby, follow the money!

Just now, Spidey said:

Dublin you say.. :)

Yes.  Dublin is the significant bit of the sentence.  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

Down the St Lawrence, turn to starboard and keep Greenland and Iceland to port

Then straight as an arrow and keep that bearing on the North Star every night...pitter patter lets get at 'er!

An Argyle interview will be on 5 Live Sports Extra at half time this evening.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

In that interview he says he wants Toronto games accessible  for people to watch in "Latin America, Africa and most importantly China."

He is constantly pushing boundaries and seems determined to take the game out of it's box.

Interesting times ahead.

40 minutes ago, Yosser said:

In that interview he says he wants Toronto games accessible  for people to watch in "Latin America, Africa and most importantly China."

He is constantly pushing boundaries and seems determined to take the game out of it's box.

Interesting times ahead.

So just like every other sport then 

27 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Just saying, it's getting tiresome seeing people give TWP unwarranted praise. They haven't done anything of note yet and all the talk of doing this and doing that is just talk at this stage 

I can see the "What did the Romans ever do for us?" posts coming over the horizon.

2 hours ago, Yosser said:

This man has no place in RL. Really, what next! 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived