Is Lineham good enough for England?

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I remember those days, everything was ace, loads of household names and player development was far better.

I think...

Yeah nostalgia is a strange old thing isn't it? Looking at the last GB squad ever picked it really doesn't look that rosy and in my opinion England are a far stronger team today. I actually forgot all about wingers like Gardner, Hodgson and Raynor in my post earlier. There are probably another half dozen fairly average club players in that squad too:

Fullback - Paul Wellens - St. Helens 
Wing - Ade Gardner - St. Helens 
Wing - Gareth Raynor - Hull
Wing - David Hodgson - Salford
Centre - Keith Senior - Leeds 
Centre - Kirk Yeaman - Hull
Centre - Martin Gleeson - Warrington
Stand-off - Kevin Sinfield - Leeds 
Stand-off - Leon Pryce -St. Helens 
Scrum-half - Rob Burrow - Leeds
Scrum-half - Danny McGuire - Leeds 
Hooker - James Roby - St. Helens
Hooker - Jon Clarke - Warrington 
Hooker - Terry Newton - Bradford 
Prop - Jamie Peacock - Leeds 
Prop - Adrian Morley - Warrington 
Prop - Maurie Fa'asavalu - St. Helens 
Prop - James Graham St. Helens 
Prop - Sam Burgess - Bradford 
Second-row - Gareth Ellis - Leeds 
Second-row - Jamie Jones-Buchanan - Leeds 
Second-row - Jon Wilkin - St. Helens 
Loose forward - Sean O'Loughlin (Captain) -Wigan

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed, he was unplayable on his day and probably put in some of the best performances that I have ever seen. He really was the difference in a number of matches, spanning years, and his performance in the 2004 Tri Nations final were Australia won 44-4 was sublime.

What a heartbreaking game that was.... We need to change the subject before my PTSD kicks in.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That 2006 GB should have won that series in Australia. 

It was a Tri Nations and we didn't even make the final. In fact bar the win against Australia we were battered by them in the other game and lost twice against New Zealand, including a record defeat. The win against Australia was fantastic though and seems a lifetime ago now!

Couple of years back I wasn’t sure he was good enough for Warrington. He seems to have sorted himself out in the last two seasons. 

He’s out of contract I think end of next year, be glad to see him sign a new deal.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Aye we lost 3 close games in that Ashes series with Horne on the wing. Funnily enough that was one of the few real weak positions we had back then, maybe the quality of wings we have had since would have made a big difference that year.

Yes, I just can’t remember how he was ever picked there.  I don’t think he ever played on the wing for Hull either.  David Hodgson, Sullivan we’re both decent wingers at that time.

2 hours ago, Alffi 7 said:

He’s out of contract I think end of next year, be glad to see him sign a new deal.

Already hinted that he wants to head back across the Pennines.   Fair play though he’s been fully committed and has made the most of living in Cheshire, even though he’s fallen out with his neighbours over the mannekin thing.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Lineham is a good player and one who fans like as he's hard working and a good tough Un. I would see him as about level with Charney and Davies of Wigan right now..... 

I would see Manfredi as ahead of him and Hall, Jerry, TJ, Makinson. 

However I would be happy to see him in the squad or set up for the Knights. 

Given I've named 8 there of whom 4 are top class I would say we have more wingers than before.... It's half backs we need. And full backs. Widdop aside who is world class in those positions for us? 

Tomkins on a good day? 

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

Widdop aside who is world class in those positions for us? 

When was the last time we had a home-grown half back who was truly world class (one that would picked for Aus if he had a grandfather from Uluru)...?

I think you’d have to go back to the 90s?

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

1 minute ago, Desert Skipper said:

When was the last time we had a home-grown half back who was truly world class (one that would picked for Aus if he had a grandfather from Uluru)...?

I think you’d have to go back to the 90s?

Before that to be honest. Maybe the 70s.

McGuire at his best was close to that level, as was Long, and Deacon had quality passing and kicking skills. Much maligned as he is for some reason, I think Sinfield was a great player too. Williams is the one now in this category, and if he'd played for England, Brought could've got there too. His 2013 RLWC performances were world class. So amongst your best halves I think the talent is there - they just need that extra push, or something, to go to the elite level. Maybe super league doesn't challenge them enough to get there.

And as for the topic of the thread, yes, he is a top quality player! I thought he looked very promising at Hull, so glad he's kicking on again. It'd be great if one or two of England's classy wingers could be turned into classy centres!

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

McGuire at his best was close to that level, as was Long, and Deacon had quality passing and kicking skills. Much maligned as he is for some reason, I think Sinfield was a great player too. Williams is the one now in this category, and if he'd played for England, Brought could've got there too. His 2013 RLWC performances were world class. So amongst your best halves I think the talent is there - they just need that extra push, or something, to go to the elite level. Maybe super league doesn't challenge them enough to get there.

And as for the topic of the thread, yes, he is a top quality player! I thought he looked very promising at Hull, so glad he's kicking on again. It'd be great if one or two of England's classy wingers could be turned into classy centres!

Sorry but none of those players were world class imho not even close. 

In the last 30 years we’ve had only two players with the self belief, skill and rugby brain to be close. 

.one was Bobby Goulding who could have been the best but had no self control or any real desire to prove it.

The other is Brough who is basically an inferior Goulding.

im not saying these two were better at club level than others mentioned but what I think they did have was an x- factor that may and it is a big may have troubled the Aussies.

so basically two bone heads with Andy Gregory as the best of the coachable Scrum halves - it’s not great is it.

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Its true to say SL doesn't push them like the NRL does. The overall level is alot lower. 

Theres say 100 SL players of NRL level compared to 400 the other way.... 

Archived