Empty seats etc

meast

Less than 10,000 Wigan and Saints fans turn up for their home semi finals and nothing is said, yet whenever Huddersfield and Salford post low crowds they get absolutely hammered for it, I'm sure there are perfectly valid reasons why fans of the games' top 2 clubs didn't turn out-again, there always is, but no valid reason for other clubs!
I think fans of these top clubs should take a step back when criticising other clubs poor crowds and take a look at their own clubs poor efforts lately!

End of the day, the game is in a poor state with attendances seemingly down all over the place, maybe it's boredom of being at the top for so long and a sense of entitlement with the top clubs, i don't know, but all i will say is i haven't seen any comments about what Wigan or Saints "bring to the game" .

But in all seriousness, when 2 of our games' world famous clubs can't even muster 5 figure support for the games supposed elite games then we might as well admit defeat and move the game to Toronto or wherever is flavour of the month next.

They had much more than 5 figure support, though. No longer do all supporters turn up to the stadium. Plenty watch on TV and pay for the experience that way. If they want to see more fans through the turnstiles, then clubs have to find and fix the reasons why people don't go.

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Wigan getting sub 10K supporters at the game is an area for concern - and one you've just raised, so I aren't sure how 'nothing is said' because you just have.

However Hudds and Salford's crowds are, let's face it, atrocious.

Why Huddersfield and not Widnes or Wakefied who's crowds are both below ours?

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

Why Huddersfield and not Widnes or Wakefied who's crowds are both below ours?

Widness were relegated seems cause and effect to me. 

15 minutes ago, meast said:
Less than 10,000 Wigan and Saints fans turn up for their home semi finals and nothing is said, yet whenever Huddersfield and Salford post low crowds they get absolutely hammered for it, I'm sure there are perfectly valid reasons why fans of the games' top 2 clubs didn't turn out-again, there always is, but no valid reason for other clubs!
I think fans of these top clubs should take a step back when criticising other clubs poor crowds and take a look at their own clubs poor efforts lately!

End of the day, the game is in a poor state with attendances seemingly down all over the place, maybe it's boredom of being at the top for so long and a sense of entitlement with the top clubs, i don't know, but all i will say is i haven't seen any comments about what Wigan or Saints "bring to the game" .

But in all seriousness, when 2 of our games' world famous clubs can't even muster 5 figure support for the games supposed elite games then we might as well admit defeat and move the game to Toronto or wherever is flavour of the month next.

I get your point Meast but you want to stop worrying about crowds, they have been going steadily down hill for years and that IMO is going to continue. League is a minor sport that is just going to continue to lose ground to most other sports and in truth there are a few reasons for this, few of which can be remedied. the future of the sport lies in TV. The powers of SL know this and are taking steps to at least try to get into the real world ,    Crowds are a shrinking bonus for clubs and the ones who can hang on to more of theirs will always be the wealthier and in the long run will take the Lions share of the trophies.

Don,t worry about it mate just enjoy it while you can. I enjoyed the game last night , i never took into account what the crowd was, It will be a good crowd, next week, and i hope to see the wolves put a new name on the Trophy, That would be one small boost for the game.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

It's not really 'irony' for Meast to bring this up - he' simply pointing out a certain hypocrisy that people constantly mock Huddersfield in particular for their crowds, but don't seem concerned that the supposed giants of the game can't break five figures for the Semis.

FWIW, I think its an issue that certainly needs to be raised, as this weeks two games are surely in the very top bracket of games for the season - after all they are the games that lead to Old Trafford. You'd really expect full houses for both games whoever and wherever the games are played. 

More pertinently, what are Wigan and St Helens going to do to promote such games now that they've got rid of the Eights and got the system they want? What will be their excuse next time? After all, we were told, all through the recent debates, that 'the focus should be on the elite'. OK, 'elite' clubs, what are you going to do to start selling out big games?

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Because the op is from a Huddersfield fan, nothing personal. But poor crowds of 10K is one thing, poor crowds of 3-4K or less are a serious issue.

5,471 for Huddersfield according to the post on this forum.

And that for a team that who were, let's face it, pretty useless for a good chunk of the season. The point is that Wigan and St Helens are supposedly the elite clubs and were playing in last chance elimination games to progress to the Grand Final. If they cannot get a full house for those games, then surely there is something awry?

Has this thread been veered off a little? The initial post refers to less than 10,000 Wigan/Saints fans, whereas we have now reached the point where we are referring to sub 10,000 crowds. Some readers might assume that the crowds this week were below that figure. I’m sure they were higher, particularly last night. Just to clarify matters, does anyone have the figures? 

3 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

I’m sure they were higher, particularly last night. Just to clarify matters, does anyone have the figures? 

But the point being made was that since there were - by most estimates - around 4000 Castleford fans there, the number of Wigan fans was under 10K.

Same principle, with different figures obviously, for the St Helens game.

6 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Has this thread been veered off a little? The initial post refers to less than 10,000 Wigan/Saints fans, whereas we have now reached the point where we are referring to sub 10,000 crowds. Some readers might assume that the crowds this week were below that figure. I’m sure they were higher, particularly last night. Just to clarify matters, does anyone have the figures? 

Wigan posted 13461 as the attendance last night on twitter, also commenting that there were 4300 away fans!

1 minute ago, Southerner said:

It was sad to see so many empty seats in both games. It just seems ludicrous for semi finals to be so empty. 

It’s not a good sign for the sport especially when we compare ourselves to Union who wouldn’t have that situation for a semi.

Union is a sport on the up with a true world wide game  League is a sport in desperate decline and grasping at any kind of straw that floats by, Sad but that's the way it is.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

But the point being made was that since there were - by most estimates - around 4000 Castleford fans there, the number of Wigan fans was under 10K.

That's fine, thanks. As a good site member should do,, just trying to ensure that our members are not mislead.

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

OK, then why are we talking about Huddersfield having an average over 5000? If you deduct the away fans, like people seem to want to do with the last two night's crowds, then clearly Huddersfield don't have a 5000 average.

I  just find it bizzare that a supporter of a club with average crowds of less than 5000 feels he should criticise clubs with attendances more than double their own.

1 minute ago, GIANTSTRIDES said:

Union is a sport on the up with a true world wide game  League is a sport in desperate decline and grasping at any kind of straw that floats by, Sad but that's the way it is.

Sadly some might say, RU is in dire straits in Australia, in particular - see cross-code forum

3 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Wigan posted 13461 as the attendance last night on twitter, also commenting that there were 4300 away fans!

That’s embarrassing for a semi final I think we’d all agree with that. Decent effort from the Castleford fans though.

Much more is expected of Wigan. They are historically a powerhouse of English rugby league. They play exciting rugby, are successful, have a decent stadium with good accessibility. On top of this they have lots of locals playing in the first team which has always been thought of as a factor to improve attendances.

i just don’t understand why they’re declining s badly when other sports are increasing / stabilised.

5 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

Sadly some might say, RU is in dire straits in Australia, in particular - see cross-code forum

Well that’s good news if true.

However we’re discussing attendances here in England where RU club rugby is far better and continues to strengthening against ours. 

Maybe it’s a wealth thing - Union spectators in general have more disposable income!! However then League clubs make it more affordable and still the fans don’t turn out.

13 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

OK, then why are we talking about Huddersfield having an average over 5000? If you deduct the away fans, like people seem to want to do with the last two night's crowds, then clearly Huddersfield don't have a 5000 average.

I  just find it bizzare that a supporter of a club with average crowds of less than 5000 feels he should criticise clubs with attendances more than double their own.

Because Wigan were playing in a semi final eliminator for the Grand Final

Context matters. If Huddersfield had been in the Semi Final play off then we'd be criticising them. As it was, Wigan were there , and they actually had less home fans there than they were getting in the regular season!

7 minutes ago, Southerner said:

That’s embarrassing for a semi final I think we’d all agree with that. Decent effort from the Castleford fans though.

Much more is expected of Wigan. They are historically a powerhouse of English rugby league. They play exciting rugby, are successful, have a decent stadium with good accessibility. On top of this they have lots of locals playing in the first team which has always been thought of as a factor to improve attendances.

i just don’t understand why they’re declining s badly when other sports are increasing / stabilised.

Youth engagement is needed across the RFL 

Not nessecarily kids, young adults too. 

Man if a team could get a sponsor like Fortnite it would do wonders for their appeal. (Angry Birds sponsor Everton so its not impossible)

Archived