Hunslet P

16 hours ago, Havenwarrior said:

Well done, great achievement to go unbeaten all season.

A great benchmark, but hopefully you will be challenged a bit more next year, especially by the 3 Cumbrian Sides.

HW

Thanks HW. Like I said earlier in the season, I think we've certainly benefitted this year from a few sides doing a bit of rebuilding and that's not to take anything away from our lads as I think we'd have won the league regardless. But next year will certainly be interesting - West Hull and Siddal got stronger as the year went on, the Cumbrian sides are always going to be there or there abouts, add into the mix Thornhill who will be extremely competitive and you've got the recipe for a great season in 2019. For us the mission is simple and the boys are hungry for it - do it all again.

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Ha he's fine, just hyperextended it a bit but will always look bad when you're 20st! 

Bet it's not a light 20 stone, LOL

He has a rite engine to be lumping is size about as well as he does.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

8 hours ago, Fax lad said:

Fantastic season by h c p , let’s see if they are still a force in 20 years time, like west hull, siddal Leigh miners and st pats etc

Are these teams still a force as you call it, over the last 20 years all teams including the above 4 mentioned will have good and bad times, Hunslet are obviously going through a real good time, but all good teams have lean spells, spells when the older end retire and the new blood come through. All a cycle, just depends how well the clubs/teams deal with it, some deal with it a lot better than others. 

11 hours ago, Fax lad said:

Fantastic season by h c p , let’s see if they are still a force in 20 years time, like west hull, siddal Leigh miners and st pats etc

Looks like they have the full set up to continue being a force for some time.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

16 hours ago, TheDuke said:

I’m not sure there will be much amateur RL in 20 years sadly, 

Unfortunately if nothing is done this may be a very good point. It is a case of first finding the real answers then finding ways to implement it. Unfortunately the RFL will carry on ignoring important issues to ensure SL is still viable, all the time forgetting without amateur clubs their product would die

No programmes for last Saturdays showpiece double header at Featherstone.Apparently the Printers made a c**k up on Thursday so it made me wonder why firstly,was it not possible to go to another Printers and print a thousand programmes out in 24 hours?Secondly,is it not admission by programme in the NCL? So could the admission price not be reduced?

As much of a pessimist That I am, surely with all the youth teams every club has, their should be a good production line of talent coming through, as long as the lads keep their interest in the game and not drift off, although it isn’t just r leagues problem, I’m finding that amateur football and local cricket is really suffering ,  2 many distractions for today’s young men 

3 hours ago, neutralfan said:

No programmes for last Saturdays showpiece double header at Featherstone.Apparently the Printers made a c**k up on Thursday so it made me wonder why firstly,was it not possible to go to another Printers and print a thousand programmes out in 24 hours?Secondly,is it not admission by programme in the NCL? So could the admission price not be reduced? 

Cock up at the printers is now the standard excuse for no programmes at League 1 clubs. At least Bradford admitted they stopped doing them as an economy measure. I go to NCL games every Saturday and it's very rare that I don't get a programme. The only club where I did not get a programme this season was Waterhead. The standard excuse in the NCL is "I haven't seen the girl who usually brings them today"? NCL clubs do indeed have admission by programme because if they charged an admission price they would become subject to tax. That is what I am led to believe by people who are more involved in the running of clubs than I am.

3 hours ago, Fax lad said:

As much of a pessimist That I am, surely with all the youth teams every club has, their should be a good production line of talent coming through, as long as the lads keep their interest in the game and not drift off, although it isn’t just r leagues problem, I’m finding that amateur football and local cricket is really suffering ,  2 many distractions for today’s young men  

Most clubs have always ran lots of youth teams but these days, once a lad gets to 15/16 there are too many other distractions, I can only speak for my own club but we do well if we keep 3 players from an under 16's team to progress to open age. That is in the past 12 years or so anyway. We had a few more this season, although most made very few appearances and I am quite hopeful for the next crop of youngsters due to come through. They have some very dedicated people coaching them.

I think a lot of youth players end up on scholarships, and if it's the same as it was years ago, the pro clubs stop them playing at their amateur club which always seemed daft to me as your been stopped from doing what you love, playing rugby, and then if they don't make it they get cheesed off then stop playing altogether more times than not, and that is one of the reasons the game is been lost at open age level. 

I know one club that wanted to pull out before the end of the season but decided to finish off the season when they saw the size of the fine for pulling out. Last I heard they were waiting to see how much travelling they have to do next season before making a final decision. However, I think it would be wrong of me to name the club without their permission at this stage. It will all come out at the right time. I was told of another club in the opposite side of the Pennines that were considering pulling out but I have seen an article about them saying they are looking for players for next season in the NCL so I am not going to speculate further. I do know that more teams have applied to join than are rumoured to be pulling out but some don't meet the criteria.

No junior's???? Get them in, they'll have a bright future. But seriously two teams dropping out is not good, are they long established conference clubs? 

The game needs to really look at what's going wrong. 

Has there been a major change in the game that has had a deterimental effect on the whole of the amateur game??

We all know the answer but the people running the game can't see the wood for the trees

I was talking to 2 stalwarts of the amateur game at Swinton yesterday and one blamed the switch to summer whilst the other agreed with me that, while a lot more players miss games in Summer than used to miss them in Winter, the biggest problem is modern attitudes and not enough youngsters want to pursue physical sport when they reach mid teens. I have watched loads of really great prospects give up the game for other pastimes. Scholarships have not helped. SL clubs take players when they are far too young, knowing full well that very few of them will make the grade. Its rare that the discarded players go back to amateur because they feel they have failed. Can't believe the guy who agreed with me did as our clubs are big rivals and we have wound each other up something shocking over the years. I will always respect his opinion though. I don't wish to comment on the clubs who are thinking of leaving as I don't want to influence a decision.

Archived