2019 kits (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Just checked; Bradford was only the target of one bombing raid. Strange really because we had an explosives manufacturer and produced uniform cloth by the mile.

The Luftwaffe probably flew over and thought they had already blanket bombed it.

Some people have disrespected the city of Kingston upon Hull in this thread and I think this is undeserved and downright prejudicial. I have to admit I am a bit angry about this.

In WW2 half of the population of Hull were made homeless due to the Nazi bombings. My late grandma told me about the sirens, the terror night after night after night and being evacuated to the N Yorks town of Norton..it was just too dangerous for children to remain in Hull.

Hull was a strategic target due to it's status as a major port but no matter where in the north of England the nazis bombed they always navigated back down the Humber and dumped any remaining bombs on Hull. That is why most northern cities were bombed some nights but Hull was bombed every night. The newsreels for (supposedly) security reasons only ever referred to Hull as 'A North East town' so the city never even got recognition. A church in Coventry getting bombed on one night was far more newsworthy.

From wikipedia...

Hull was the most severely damaged British city or town during the Second World War, with 95 percent of houses damaged. It was under air raid alert for 1,000 hours. Hull was the target of the first daylight raid of the war and the last piloted air raid on Britain.

Of a population of approximately 320,000 at the beginning of the war, approximately 152,000 were made homeless as a result of bomb destruction or damage. Overall almost 1,200 people were killed and 3,000 injured by air raids.

At the end of the war the nation was bankrupt and the homeless of Hull were housed in prefabs (pre- fabricated huts) which remained until the 1980's. Hull has a huge amount of council houses simply because of the need to house the homeless of WW2.

The nation owes a huge debt to Kingston upon Hull especially considering the also largely ignored WW1 bombing and destruction of Hull by zeppelin

If Hull KR or indeed Hull FC wish to.commemorate the sacrifices made by the people of our city in the world wars I hope that ill informed people will be more respectful in future.

16 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Some people have disrespected the city of Kingston upon Hull in this thread and I think this is undeserved and downright prejudicial. I have to admit I am a bit angry about this.

In WW2 half of the population of Hull were made homeless due to the Nazi bombings. My late grandma told me about the sirens, the terror night after night after night and being evacuated to the N Yorks town of Norton..it was just too dangerous for children to remain in Hull.

Hull was a strategic target due to it's status as a major port but no matter where in the north of England the nazis bombed they always navigated back down the Humber and dumped any remaining bombs on Hull. That is why most northern cities were bombed some nights but Hull was bombed every night. The newsreels for (supposedly) security reasons only ever referred to Hull as 'A North East town' so the city never even got recognition. A church in Coventry getting bombed on one night was far more newsworthy.

From wikipedia...

Hull was the most severely damaged British city or town during the Second World War, with 95 percent of houses damaged. It was under air raid alert for 1,000 hours. Hull was the target of the first daylight raid of the war and the last piloted air raid on Britain.

Of a population of approximately 320,000 at the beginning of the war, approximately 152,000 were made homeless as a result of bomb destruction or damage. Overall almost 1,200 people were killed and 3,000 injured by air raids.

At the end of the war the nation was bankrupt and the homeless of Hull were housed in prefabs (pre- fabricated huts) which remained until the 1980's. Hull has a huge amount of council houses simply because of the need to house the homeless of WW2.

The nation owes a huge debt to Kingston upon Hull especially considering the also largely ignored WW1 bombing and destruction of Hull by zeppelin

If Hull KR or indeed Hull FC wish to.commemorate the sacrifices made by the people of our city in the world wars I hope that ill informed people will be more respectful in future.

An answer to the question I originally asked on the first page, thank you. 

Did either ground get damaged, do you know? Presumably, they must have if 95% got damaged. 

11 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

Well said Dimmest Star. Hull as City of Culture set the bar very high. If it's a ###### I defy the arseholes with that view to tell us what is so great about the other towns in top level Rugby League!

I did formally acknowledge how good I thought that post was. It got modded out.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived