2019 kits (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What’s the significance behind this Milwaukee game. It was essentially a one-off, wasn’t it? Still, not bad shirts even if Wigan look nothing like how I think they should. 

Quite glad the Marvel shirts have been canned, I was never a massive fan of them. 

It was 20 years ago this year

26 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

30. I know but why are they celebrating a game in Milwaukee other than it was 30 years ago? Is there a reason?

Quite like the idea that the teams pick an "event" from the past that has an anniversary that year and go with a shirt from that year etc... 

13 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

How is that a Magic shirt! That is the proper Warrington shirt or at least how I remember them and should be the one worn every season as first choice. Doesn't take much, you can remain traditional with just the odd twist each season to keep it fresh, thats what many NRL clubs do. Look great by the way.

I think we all have different memories of what a 'traditional' shirt is. For me it was a white kit with p&b Chevron, or horizontal band (sparkomatic and vladivar kits), but for others it will be the Mike Gregory Wembley kit, other the Jonatham Davies vertical stripes, and in recent years we have gone with a lot of blue based kits with primrose Chevrons.

It's one of the things I like about our kits, we can have very different kits that are very clearly Wire kits, rather than the likes of Saints who seem to make a hash of a simple kit design too often!

49 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

30. I know but why are they celebrating a game in Milwaukee other than it was 30 years ago? Is there a reason?

I think it is just a part of history. They could probably pick from plenty of clashes, but the advantage of this one is that the kits are very different from what we are both wearing this year. A lot of Wigan historic kits would be the same cherry and white hoops.

One of the things I like about this is that I think it is a piece of nostalgia that is from what many see as a golden era, the likes of Hanley, Gregory, Gregory and Boyd played and many have a misty eyed view of the Wire team in particular that was often average!

They are also just nice kits that can appeal to any generation.

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think we all have different memories of what a 'traditional' shirt is. For me it was a white kit with p&b Chevron, or horizontal band (sparkomatic and vladivar kits), but for others it will be the Mike Gregory Wembley kit, other the Jonatham Davies vertical stripes, and in recent years we have gone with a lot of blue based kits with primrose Chevrons.

It's one of the things I like about our kits, we can have very different kits that are very clearly Wire kits, rather than the likes of Saints who seem to make a hash of a simple kit design too often!

It's not so much bands or chevrons its the general appearance - for me Warrington like Trinity are predominantly white but luckily have two other colours to play with. I can just about take the reversal of two main colours (blue and white) but anything more than that nah. Trinity had a Red kit two years ago, it looked great but it wasn't Trinity. White is favoured but historically there is an argument for blue as the primary colour. For me Warrington are probably the same. Wigan and Saints on the other hand are two colour clubs whichich limits them and really should be hoops for Wigan and the V for Saints which limits them further. Yet St George manage to do just fine.

17 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

It's not so much bands or chevrons its the general appearance - for me Warrington like Trinity are predominantly white but luckily have two other colours to play with. I can just about take the reversal of two main colours (blue and white) but anything more than that nah. Trinity had a Red kit two years ago, it looked great but it wasn't Trinity. White is favoured but historically there is an argument for blue as the primary colour. For me Warrington are probably the same. Wigan and Saints on the other hand are two colour clubs whichich limits them and really should be hoops for Wigan and the V for Saints which limits them further. Yet St George manage to do just fine.

Interestingly, in the last 30 years, Wire have only had a white base on the home kit for 5 of them. The vast majority are blue kits. If you looked in the 70's and 80's we would probably have seen the majority of the kits being white based. I was surprised when I looked that we had white as our primary colour so little.

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Interestingly, in the last 30 years, Wire have only had a white base on the home kit for 5 of them. The vast majority are blue kits. If you looked in the 70's and 80's we would probably have seen the majority of the kits being white based. I was surprised when I looked that we had white as our primary colour so little.

Funny how images stick, Trinity throughout their history have been blue as much as white but all the better teams seem to correspond with white, which might explain it.

If it is a sunny day at the Bash, Rochdale's opponents will be blinded. A tactical masterstroke!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived