2019 kits (Merged Threads)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Be interested to know what colour the shorts are, because they are both very similar to me.

Home is black & red.

Away is Black, red and green.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 1/4/2019 at 8:12 PM, Tommygilf said:

Man United have updated their badge throughout the past half century. Indeed I don't think they've had the Manchester Crest (the one that they wear on the blazers) on their shirts since before George Best? 

Its about capitalising on what you have. Cas are a perfect example. Play in the same colour as a Tiger, become the tigers. Conversely Hull FC have successfully restored the 3 gold crowns but gone for the airlie bird for a mascot. Fev have updated their badge, from ludicrously over complicated (in terms of graphics) town crest, to cartoon, to the more simple yet modern design. I still don't think Saints have found a badge they're fully comfortable with. 

Wigan's crest is not the town crest either, but as such heraldic designs go it is rather simple? 

Keep it simple, colourful and crisp.

I hate overly flowerly town crests as club badges. One town crest looks very much like another.

I quite like St Helens' badge.

Man United never wore the Manchester crest except for cup finals, this seems to have been the case for all clubs who didn't have an official football related club crest.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

I must add that for the 1966 and 1968 FA Cup Finals Everton didn't have a badge, although they had an official club EFC  monogramme crest as early as 1912. The more familiar "Everton Lock-Up"  crest was designed in 1938.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:58 PM, Anita Bath said:

Its remarkable how clubs like wigan and man U have been been left behind in this marketing/branding revolution. 

The crest disappeared when the name of the town disappeared from the clubs name. Fortunately the towns name was later restored so there is hope for the crest i suppose. 

You know fully why 'Rochdale' was removed from the club's name in 2009. You're being wilfully disingenuous here.

And I believe that Wigan hurriedly adopted the suffix 'Warriors' on the advent of Super League- and Manchester United redesigned/rebranded in 1998 when they removed the words 'football club' from their club crest. Which, incidentally, isn't the Manchester Council crest - it's designed specifically for the football club. It also has a 'cartoon' Red Devil on it. Do pay attention.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

1 hour ago, Hornetto said:

You know fully why 'Rochdale' was removed from the club's name in 2009. You're being wilfully disingenuous here.

And I believe that Wigan hurriedly adopted the suffix 'Warriors' on the advent of Super League- and Manchester United redesigned/rebranded in 1998 when they removed the words 'football club' from their club crest. Which, incidentally, isn't the Manchester Council crest - it's designed specifically for the football club. It also has a 'cartoon' Red Devil on it. Do pay attention.

Wigan had no choice. As with all Super League clubs at the outset of Super League they were forced to adopt a nickname. St Helens were the only one exempt as Saints was deemed okay. Another example of a typical Rugby League quick fix, copy from elsewhere gimmick. Adding a nickname in isolation, with no cohesive marketing and branding strategy, does nothing.

Just now, Damien said:

Wigan had no choice. As with all Super League clubs at the outset of Super League they were forced to adopt a nickname. St Helens were the only one exempt as Saints was deemed okay. Another example of a typical Rugby League quick fix, copy from elsewhere gimmick. Adding a nickname in isolation, with no cohesive marketing and branding strategy, does nothing.

I'm not even sure St Helens were exempt. I'm sure I remember Sky introducing them as St Helens Saints at the time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, Damien said:

I must say, I think in the main, the re-branding is something that has been a positive change for the game in my eyes. It could have been delivered better (not all clubs had changed for SL's launch for example), but where they were previously mocked and laughed at, they are now absolutely part of the game. Leeds are the Rhinos, Warrington the Wolves etc. and they don't appear out of place in the slightest. I like the fact that clubs and fans can still use the older nicknames too like Loiners and Wire.

I do think Wigan didn't deliver their change too well, that horrid kit with the huge warrior head on was a bit too in your face, but even now they are absolutely known as the Wigan Warriors.

I can't say wigan warriors...it sounds wrong....they are just wigan.

As you say others have worked ok though........some better than others

Creatively speaking i can't think of many of those rebrands that were very well designed logos.......they all looked a bit naff compared to the NFL and NRL style logos they were meant to imitate

20181011003709_900_mascotOrig.gif

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

48 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

I can't say wigan warriors...it sounds wrong....they are just wigan.

As you say others have worked ok though........some better than others

Creatively speaking i can't think of many of those rebrands that were very well designed logos.......they all looked a bit naff compared to the NFL and NRL style logos they were meant to imitate

20181011003709_900_mascotOrig.gif

That was kind of my point. Clubs were forced to do it, some reluctantly, and some thought that sticking a nickname on the end and a badge done in MS Paint was job done. It worked fantastically well for some of the clubs that actually wanted to do it and embraced the concept and got fully behind it such as Leeds, Warrington and Bradford. Some names like Halifax Blue Socks were truly awful and didn't particularly give much room to maneuver or anything to work with from a marketing point of view. I think traditional names can also work very well such as Hull FC, Hull KR, St Helens etc. I would also much prefer just Wigan, I know barely anyone that refer to Wigan as Wigan Warriors and even younger ones I know simply call them Wigan.

Growing up as a football loving kid i used to love hearing the names of Rugby League teams when watching final score. So many were so different to what i was used to with football teams and that made them seem really quite special. No united's, or city's and only one FC..

Names like Wakefield Trinity, Bradford Northern, Hull Kingston Rovers, Hunslet Club Parkside.. great names. I think a lot of teams lost out when being convinced, or told, to switch to American style nicknames. It worked for some (to some degree), but was terrible for others.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Growing up as a football loving kid i used to love hearing the names of Rugby League teams. ...  I think a lot of teams lost out when being convinced, or told, to switch to American style nicknames. It worked for some (to some degree), but was terrible for others.

It was a very sad day for RL names when the Aberavon Fighting Irish packed up.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

10 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Growing up as a football loving kid i used to love hearing the names of Rugby League teams when watching final score. So many were so different to what i was used to with football teams and that made them seem really quite special. No united's, or city's and only one FC..

Names like Wakefield Trinity, Bradford Northern, Hull Kingston Rovers, Hunslet Club Parkside.. great names. I think a lot of teams lost out when being convinced, or told, to switch to American style nicknames. It worked for some (to some degree), but was terrible for others.

Were Hunslet ever called Hunslet Club Parkside? I can't ever recall them being called that. The first time I heard that was in reference to the amateur team.

rldfsignature.jpg

53 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

It was a very sad day for RL names when the Aberavon Fighting Irish packed up.

If you want to see Fighting Irish just head over to the Notre Dame athletics page and see the originals.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Were Hunslet ever called Hunslet Club Parkside? I can't ever recall them being called that. The first time I heard that was in reference to the amateur team.

No. The semi pro side was always just Hunslet (until Hawks was added in the 90s) - the Parkside element relates to the ground they played. Some people called them 'Parksiders' but for all my years when I lived in Hunslet it was just that - Hunslet. 

The amateur team's name derives from the merger of Parkside Junior RL team and the open age team Hunslet Old Boys, which all now runs out of The Hunslet Club. 

Archived