London in Superleague

Changing their name to Ealing will not bring more people through the turnstiles at Broncos (not that there are turnstiles!!).

They need to put together a coalition of Anzac ex-pats, London & SE league fans, northern league fans and newbie locals to get respectable gates.

I plan on getting a season ticket, by the way. I’m not a Broncos fan. I just love rugby league and want to see Super League live in the flesh without a 500-mile round-trip.

They need more people like me!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Changing their name to Ealing will not bring more people through the turnstiles at Broncos (not that there are turnstiles!!).

They need to put together a coalition of Anzac ex-pats, London & SE league fans, northern league fans and newbie locals to get respectable gates.

I plan on getting a season ticket, by the way. I’m not a Broncos fan. I just love rugby league and want to see Super League live in the flesh without a 500-mile round-trip.

They have turnstiles at the ticket shed.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I suppose it has taken a bit longer for the thread to reach this point, but, having spent 30 years living in London and the south east, I can honestly say that there is a vast market  for our game in this area. Which is shown by the 10s of thousands who watch big games down here. I wouldn’t mind so much if those stats were particularly hard to ascertain, but I am staggered that people can take a  straight line extrapolation from a (seemingly lovely) couple in Ealing to zero interest. 

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the game needs a successful club in London and I would be surprised if we ever have a power house down here. But what we do have is a huge market of people who can be sold events, such as a World Cup semi final. They can get 80+ k for NFL simply on the basis of a guaranteed good evening out. 

When the England game is likely to be watched by 1 man and a dog tomorrow in Leigh (if anyone is in the area they should ask local couples whether they were aware of the game), the M62 should sort itself out. 

I share you pain.

The issue is, to many people, a club based on support as a emblem of community pride and love of th egame works in Leigh and St Helens and many, many people cannot imagine another approach.  As there is no room for a pro club based on Ealing identity and love of rugby league, many read that as there being no room for a pro-rugby league club at all.  It is a failure of imagination.

I have been in a development area, where hipsters were successfully targetted.  Then the club died as the approach reverted to traditionalism.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

London’s size is a problem too. Yes, you’ve got millions on your doorstep and even half a percent of those millions interested in the game would be a massive success but you’re never going to be situated in a place that suits all. 

I live down south and Broncos is an hour and twenty (according to TFL) from the nearest Underground station from Ealing RU. It’s then a twenty-five minute walk from the station to the ground. That’s an hour and 45 just to get there. I’d spend 3 and a half hours travelling across London on a weekend after travelling in and out of London for work. I just don’t want to do that with my weekend. For context, three and a half hours (in a car) gets me to St Helens. I’ve never once been to Ealing since they moved there and if I really want to get a RL fix, it’s half hour in a car to Skolars. An hour or three and a half? 

I’m not saying Broncos low crowds are a result of people living far away, it’s not that but it’s hardly like being a Wigan born and bred Wigan fan living in Wigan. London is massive and public transport across the city can be very time consuming. 

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I travel over 2 hours each way from Tunbridge Wells and don't mind.

The whinging on here is unbelievable.

1 hour ago, Monkey Lover said:

No it isn't. It is played by not much more than a couple of thousand people, including Children, across the South East. It is also far from 'Deeply loved' by anything more than a few thousand more than that (I am going to extend your phrase to include those who like to watch it).

To put into perspective how silly your comments are consider two 'thriving' amateur RL clubs in the South East, Brentwood and Eastern Rhinos. Both are based at large Rugby Union Clubs. Both coached by people who also play/coach Union and their open age sides have Union players in. They are an extension of those Union clubs playing a code they enjoy but lets not pretend they are anything more than a minority which was my original point.

I want RL in the South East to work more than anyone, I have stuck plenty of my own cash into sponsoring both of the above mentioned clubs as well as other clubs in London however even those clubs do not see themselves as anything but minnows playing a Northern M62 corridor sport and hoping to spread the word.

To relate this to the orignial point do you know how many people from those two amateur clubs go to the Broncos on a weekly basis, because I do? One. And do you know why? Because his son plays for the Scholorship/Academy and he has to attend so he brings him. 

I have offered both clubs my hospitality at the Broncos, I have offered them free tickets for as many kids as they want. They are not interested. The kids parents do not want to take them on an hour and half journey across London to watch a sport they have no interest in and wouldn't even go if it was in Essex. Those were the words of the Chairman of one of those two clubs.

I offered infinite amount of tickets to another club we sponsor that play in the mens league of London and are full of Aussies and NZ lads, the type of people think Broncos should be marketing to. Do you know what they said? 'You're ok thanks mate, none of the boys are really bothered about watching the Broncos, we just play to have fun and a beer together'.

And they are one of the best sides in the Senior London Comp.

So please, before you claim my post is rubbish do what I have done and actually get involved in South East RL where you will find that your little ideology is complete rubbish.

Spot on - unfortunately that is a fact.

Some people I know come along now and then for something to do - but none of my circle or colleagues at work in London has a real interest. The Union heads are, if anything, actively hostile and won;t even countenance a conversation, let alone have any idea about the game or see a match (which is fine as I do the same about yawnion)

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I travel over 2 hours each way from Tunbridge Wells and don't mind.

The whinging on here is unbelievable.

We lingfielders are a bit nearer. That said, from where I lived in Wigan you could get to pretty much every away game within 2 hours. 

21 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

London’s size is a problem too. Yes, you’ve got millions on your doorstep and even half a percent of those millions interested in the game would be a massive success but you’re never going to be situated in a place that suits all. 

I live down south and Broncos is an hour and twenty (according to TFL) from the nearest Underground station from Ealing RU. It’s then a twenty-five minute walk from the station to the ground. That’s an hour and 45 just to get there. I’d spend 3 and a half hours travelling across London on a weekend after travelling in and out of London for work. I just don’t want to do that with my weekend. For context, three and a half hours (in a car) gets me to St Helens. I’ve never once been to Ealing since they moved there and if I really want to get a RL fix, it’s half hour in a car to Skolars. An hour or three and a half? 

I’m not saying Broncos low crowds are a result of people living far away, it’s not that but it’s hardly like being a Wigan born and bred Wigan fan living in Wigan. London is massive and public transport across the city can be very time consuming. 

I'm perfectly happy you don't go given your posts.

Broncos aren't going to relocate to your back garden for you.

3 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We lingfielders are a bit nearer. That said, from where I lived in Wigan you could get to pretty much every away game within 2 hours. 

You could move Broncos to the back garden of Buckingham Palace and people would moan they don't want to travel into central London.

Fancy a guy posting on a RL thread non-stop but then suggesting that he can't be bothered to spend 3 hours at 10 times a year to see the Broncos.

1 hour ago, Monkey Lover said:

No it isn't. It is played by not much more than a couple of thousand people, including Children, across the South East. It is also far from 'Deeply loved' by anything more than a few thousand more than that (I am going to extend your phrase to include those who like to watch it).

To put into perspective how silly your comments are consider two 'thriving' amateur RL clubs in the South East, Brentwood and Eastern Rhinos. Both are based at large Rugby Union Clubs. Both coached by people who also play/coach Union and their open age sides have Union players in. They are an extension of those Union clubs playing a code they enjoy but lets not pretend they are anything more than a minority which was my original point.

I want RL in the South East to work more than anyone, I have stuck plenty of my own cash into sponsoring both of the above mentioned clubs as well as other clubs in London however even those clubs do not see themselves as anything but minnows playing a Northern M62 corridor sport and hoping to spread the word.

To relate this to the orignial point do you know how many people from those two amateur clubs go to the Broncos on a weekly basis, because I do? One. And do you know why? Because his son plays for the Scholorship/Academy and he has to attend so he brings him. 

I have offered both clubs my hospitality at the Broncos, I have offered them free tickets for as many kids as they want. They are not interested. The kids parents do not want to take them on an hour and half journey across London to watch a sport they have no interest in and wouldn't even go if it was in Essex. Those were the words of the Chairman of one of those two clubs.

I offered infinite amount of tickets to another club we sponsor that play in the mens league of London and are full of Aussies and NZ lads, the type of people think Broncos should be marketing to. Do you know what they said? 'You're ok thanks mate, none of the boys are really bothered about watching the Broncos, we just play to have fun and a beer together'.

And they are one of the best sides in the Senior London Comp.

So please, before you claim my post is rubbish do what I have done and actually get involved in South East RL where you will find that your little ideology is complete rubbish.

It is widely played. Often as a second sport, but still by plenty of people. 

It is deeply loved. Hence you can get such huge numbers of south eastern people watching the game on TV and in the major stadia for big events, 

What I can’t see is the nevessity of a London SL side, when very few people associate with London. I have taken many people to watch the Broncos, and there have been a couple who have been hooked, but most enjoy it sufficiently to agree to watch big games, without particularly being smitten by the Broncos bug. I suspect we are on common ground when it comes to the Broncos. What annoys me is that we don’t have an England home game in London every year. Market that and you’ll get more for one game than the Broncos may get over a season. 

"What I can’t see is the nevessity of a London SL side, when very few people associate with London."

Pretty much - 20 years plus working in London has shown me the changes. Ealing more so if anything. There is a whole chunk of Ealing that has no interest in England football or Union team - let alone trying to explain league.

24 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I'm perfectly happy you don't go given your posts.

Broncos aren't going to relocate to your back garden for you.

Find me a point in my post where I said Broncos should move and I will show you a liar. 

So quick to be abusive yet (perhaps conviently) missing the posts where I have called for Broncos not to move and to stay in Ealing for 2018. Convenient. 

24 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You could move Broncos to the back garden of Buckingham Palace and people would moan they don't want to travel into central London.

Fancy a guy posting on a RL thread non-stop but then suggesting that he can't be bothered to spend 3 hours at 10 times a year to see the Broncos.

Imagine not wanting to spend 3 and a half hours travelling across London via public transport every other Sunday for seven months to watch a team I have no affinity towards when, shockingly, like most people I have other things I want/like/need to do at a weekend and after spending 10+ hours a week on the tube travelling to and from work when I could sit in my car, drive thirty minutes and watch Rugby League if I so wish to! 

I suppose I’m not a “true” Rugby League fan like yourself then. But then again, I’d never want to be someone who questions other people’s interest in an ultimately meaningless, in the grand scheme of things, hour and twenty minutes of their lives as and when time allows them to actively watch a live game of Rugby League. If you want to use your support of Rugby League and in particular, Rugby League in London as some form of d!ck measuring exercise, go ahead. I’m not willing to take part. 

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Yep, and some think the M62 is bad. Try going up & down the M6 for 80 minutes of rugby!

Went to Manchester for the grand final and will be going to Hull for the first test.

Chance to read a good book on the train, watch a movie, catch up on some work.

Last thing I think is that it is a chore because it is more than 30 minutes.

The life of a southern RL fan - but it is hardly difficult.

How many households are there within 30 minutes walking distance of Traifinders ? Those have got to be the broncos target market.If most if not all of those people arent interest in RL then you need to get them into Trailfinders a different way on match day.As ive said before the Toronto model sounds and looks fantastic to me.

3 hours ago, Monkey Lover said:

Brentwood play out of multi sports old boys club and have done for a number of seasons. Union has always been a relatively minor part of that club and the school from where it draws its membership even stopped playing union for a few years. When I was involved with the Eels and the Elvers neither were an off shoot of any union club nor have they been since. It is and always has been a completely stand alone club.

Eastern Rhinos are also based at a multi sports complex. One of the clubs there is Colchester Union, but there is about as much crossover as with the cricket or archery clubs that also share the facilities. Any players who play union in the off season tend to play at Mersea Island, a completely different club on the other side of the town. I am sure Pete will be pleased to know that his busting a gut for league for over a decade now is just as an extension of union.

I hope your other facts and stories are equally as accurate.

8 hours ago, jpmc said:

How many households are there within 30 minutes walking distance of Traifinders ? Those have got to be the broncos target market.If most if not all of those people arent interest in RL then you need to get them into Trailfinders a different way on match day.As ive said before the Toronto model sounds and looks fantastic to me.

The population of the London Borough of Ealing is 342,000 . I think we could aim at more like 60 minutes traveling distance really.

Anyone who goes to the matches will know that a lot of the regular Broncos supporters travel a lot further than that every game by the way.

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

The population of the London Borough of Ealing is 342,000 . I think we could aim at more like 60 minutes traveling distance really.

Anyone who goes to the matches will know that a lot of the regular Broncos supporters travel a lot further than that every game by the way.

Yep there is a much bigger audience to aim at,but Broncos need to start somewhere.

I just think the things Toronto are doing allow a walk up audience to have a full day of entertainment all for a £20 entrance fee.

Loads of different ales & foods etc,music,cheerleaders and a rugbyleague game thrown in for good measure.

Who know some of the newbies might actually like the sport and come back for more

8 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

Brentwood play out of multi sports old boys club and have done for a number of seasons. Union has always been a relatively minor part of that club and the school from where it draws its membership even stopped playing union for a few years. When I was involved with the Eels and the Elvers neither were an off shoot of any union club nor have they been since. It is and always has been a completely stand alone club.

Eastern Rhinos are also based at a multi sports complex. One of the clubs there is Colchester Union, but there is about as much crossover as with the cricket or archery clubs that also share the facilities. Any players who play union in the off season tend to play at Mersea Island, a completely different club on the other side of the town. I am sure Pete will be pleased to know that his busting a gut for league for over a decade now is just as an extension of union.

I hope your other facts and stories are equally as accurate.

I think the point remains that players and parents from both clubs are from a union background, likely to play union for school on Saturday and club on Sunday, probably follow Saracens and have no real affiliation with rugby league other than playing it in their union off season.

Archived