What now for Toronto?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Yosser said:

But there will in all likelihood be clauses.

NRL teams are forever losing sponsors through contract clauses.

Well it was signed before they were even a L1 team so I'd doubt it was be in Super League by year 3 or we are terminating the deal. Toronto have been a massive success and exceeded all expectations. If Toronto and it's sponsors had been told 2 years ago that they would now be in the place they are in, both on and off the field, then Im sure everyone would have been delighted.

People seem to forget this wasn't a side put together to necessarily go up. It was one designed to make the Qualifiers. Look at the pre-season odds. The favourites were...Leigh. And Broncos 100 to 1.

Today they looked like what they were. A top Championship side. Depends on who they recruit now. Several players are on their last legs/not good enough. Patterson retired, Beswick age 33, McCrone nuff said. The point about taking some younger, hungrier players on loan or from academies is a good one.

Lots of Season Tickets sold for next year, so they'll be back. Will be just as tough next year with Widnes and Toulouse around. Leutele, assuming he still comes has the potential to run amok with one of MCB, Kay and Matty Russell outside of him. Plus, Wilkin will be very very good at that level.

A really top-notch coach would help. Feel a little sorry for Rowley, as he did what was expected of him (see my first 2 sentences). 

31 minutes ago, BD20Cougar said:

Surely still favourites to top the league next year with or without Rowley. 

All depends whether they are allowed to play all their away games first, then a run in of all home games, Should be made to play home then away, and forfeit home advantage where they can't because of the weather, there should be no special treatment. 

3 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

All depends whether they are allowed to play all their away games first, then a run in of all home games, Should be made to play home then away, and forfeit home advantage where they can't because of the weather, there should be no special treatment. 

Well, unlike 2018, Lamport's playing surface isn't going to be needing a resurfacing for a few years, so this year's schedule will not be replicated. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Did you say the same about Leeds last season or Wigan in previous seasons? Also what was the last club to play exact alternate home and away all season?

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Did you say the same about Leeds last season or Wigan in previous seasons? Also what was the last club to play exact alternate home and away all season? 

What special treatment did Leeds get this year?

Wigan OTOH have always been the biggest fixture headache in Super League. Toronto would probably have taken that place but at least they have more of a logistical excuse.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Okay then, lets say not all away followed by all home. Stop being pedantic, you knew what I meant.

13 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Okay then, lets say not all away followed by all home. Stop being pedantic, you knew what I meant.

On this showing they would be hard pressed to defeat the teams in the top 5 in the SL. Lets hope the main backer does not pull the plug. Crying in my beer for Rowley. Couldn't happen to a better fellow!!!. Congrats to the Broncos. Done it the hard way and proved that basic rugby can beat the best teams.

1 hour ago, ricardo07 said:

... Good effort to get 10 pts and only lose out on points difference but they would have really struggled in the higher division ...

Surely both of them would/will struggle.

The whole ethos of the MPG was totally barmy. Toronto fairly finished 4th in a 4 up 8 team league. And this when all top 4 finished on 10 points!

Toronto would have offered more to SL, but tonight they show that under pressure they do suffer from headlesschickenitis.

40 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

What does the weather have to do with anything. Games everywhere can get called off, though not if you only have 9 players apparently.

Your miserable attitude stinks. Oh and if you wake up a few spare brain cells you would read that I have just elsewhere written a few home truths to the TWP. 

They need to replace McCrone as pretty much everyone has said. They also need to re-build their pack. They can bully lower league part time teams as they have done all year but against more athletic full time teams, they've been found out. Patterson is retiring, i doubt Whiting will be retained, nor Bussey. They obviously didn't expect Westerman to get homesick and leave either, so it's really the back row that needs the most focus. They could do with some barnstorming 2nd rowers. Dixon is a good back rower but he is the only one.

It'll be interesting to see if Leutele still comes. I'm sure the Wolfpack will learn from this and come back stronger and hopefully they can put down plans to redevelop Lamport in the meantime.

I'm glad London came up, they deserve it, they play good footy and are well coached. I also don't think they would have made it next year if they hadn't come up this time. Hopefully they can attract some investment and hold their own in SL

4 hours ago, mickhornet said:

What if they don't get up in the next 3 seasons will they pack it in.

I've always wondered why they announced a 5 year plan to get to SL. Why not just say the goal is SL? Does it mean that Argyle is willing to fund them for 5 years and if they're not proftitable by then, he's out? 

Probably reading too much into it but I wonder if this season was profitable for the team? It was a pretty good year winning the league with an extra home game for the MPG  but is the team profitable if they stay in the Championship? 

5 hours ago, ricardo07 said:

The qualifiers have shown them that there is still work to be done.

Good effort to get 10 pts and only lose out on points difference but they would have really struggled in the higher division.

I agree with your other points but I disagree that they would have really struggled in the higher division. Actually, yes, this team would have struggled... but I doubt we would have seen this team next year. It sounds like they would have (for lack of a better word) "bought" a significantly better team for next year if they had earned promotion. 

6 hours ago, winnyason said:

I be honest as outsider from down under i found it more interesting than superleague.

Yep. I think TWP are most Aussies favourite team outside of Aus.

I think them not making SL is a blow for interest outside of England.

Good to see London turning it around though. Full credit.

new rise.jpg

6 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

Well your the pedant as you know damn well that this years fixture pattern was a one off for Toronto due to ground redevelopment. This will not be repeated nor do Toronto wish it to be as it's not really good for them either.

David Argyle has said numerous times that it was a five year plan to get to Super League. They’re in Year 2 now, so they’re well ahead of schedule. 

What will losing last night mean for them? Probably not a lot. They’ll be in the Championship next season and will be trying to get promoted via a perceived easier route than the one they’ve undertaken this year. 

I’m certain they’ll make five or six signings and I’m certain a number of players they currently have will be moved on or will retire. 

As for wild conspiracy theories, all the flatcappers from Yorkshire will be upset to see the Canadian upstarts will be still around in 2019. 

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If Toronto invest in a more SL-ready squad next time around, there'll be some very decent players appearing on the market for the other Championship clubs.

No question that TWP have the resources to spend big, but they will also be in the same shop as other needy investors in securing quality player's, maybe Widnes will see the need to improve their squad substantially now that they know TWP will be in opposition to their own desires, as will Tolouse, then we have Leeds who are in dire need of getting somd new blood in, Salford and HKR will realise that they are a few player's short of being competitive in SL, Pearson has already stated his intention to recruit at Hull and London I should imagine will be getting their cheque book dizzy very shortly.

Then we have the Salery Cap which say's I don't care how rich you are you are governed to a maximum spend, also one question that I don't know the answer to is will TWP be under the same governance on the criteria and number of 'overseas' player's they will be allowed to have on their roster as other clubs have?

Yes they need to jettison quite a few players, but they will certainly have competition in recruiting better.

Archived