Make up of London Broncos Promotion Team

rlno1

Here is a breakdown of where the players who played in the million pound game came from:

Wales (3) - Williams, Kear, Evans

Australia (1) - Sammut

New Zealand (1) - Ioane

France (1) - Pellisier

London/South (6) - Walker, Dixon, Hindmarsh, Lovell, Butler, Davies

North (5) - Hellewell, - Pitts, Gee, Spencer, Battye (was from Sheffield not sure of his amateur club)

Great example of an expansion club which shows the true development of rugby league over the last few decades. Compare this team to the Challenge Cup Final team of 1999 which was made up of Australians, NZers and players from the north with the odd exception (Offiah).

And all true rugby league players from young lads.

Well done London.

15 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Walker looks a serious talent. Hopefully they can pick up a few of the southerners who went north when they strengthen their side, rather than relying on Aussies.

Maybe the lack of journeymen Anzac signings meant there's no feeling of average players being overpaid. Sammut is clearly very good so no one would begrudge him a big wadge. This all boosts team spirit. 

I would think a French lad or two to complement Eloi, 3 good Anzac lads and ideally someone like LMS however he's probably happy at Saints. 

8 hours ago, rlno1 said:

North (5) - Hellewell, - Pitts, Gee, Spencer, Battye (was from Sheffield not sure of his amateur club)

Well done London.

Hillsborough Hawks

13 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

They just need to bring home Sarg, LMS and Clubb.

Only if they wish to be relegated. 

Those guys are in the clubs rich history and suitably acknowledged as such. They’re not the players they need to thrive in SL 2019.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

5 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Only if they wish to be relegated. 

Those guys are in the clubs rich history and suitably acknowledged as such. They’re not the players they need to thrive in SL 2019.

Any of them would hugely strengthen the squad. I expect none of them will head home though. 

Out of curiosity, how many London/southern born and bred players are there in SL as a whole? Likewise, how many have played for GB/England in, say, the last 20 years? I know Sam Tomkins was born in Buckinghamshire, but he moved north when he was young, so he doesn't count. I'm interested only in players who actually grew up in London/the south.

Good to see that London had a few in their team on Sunday. I very much liked the look of Walker and Dixon. Walker was very solid under the high ball, and Dixon was a very tricky little runner. I hope they both do well in SL next year and, maybe, one day for England too.

5 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Out of curiosity, how many London/southern born and bred players are there in SL as a whole? Likewise, how many have played for GB/England in, say, the last 20 years? I know Sam Tomkins was born in Buckinghamshire, but he moved north when he was young, so he doesn't count. I'm interested only in players who actually grew up in London/the south.

Good to see that London had a few in their team on Sunday. I very much liked the look of Walker and Dixon. Walker was very solid under the high ball, and Dixon was a very tricky little runner. I hope they both do well in SL next year and, maybe, one day for England too.

If the Dixon you refer to is Kieron, he has played SL for both the London Broncos and HKR (90 or so games in total) and 3 times for England Knights in 2012.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, rlno1 said:

Here is a breakdown of where the players who played in the million pound game came from:

Australia (1) - Sammut

New Zealand (1) - Ioane

France (1) - Pellisier

Great example of an expansion club which shows the true development of rugby league over the last few decades. Compare this team to the Challenge Cup Final team of 1999 which was made up of Australians, NZers and players from the north with the odd exception (Offiah).

And all true rugby league players from young lads.

Well done London.

Missed out Aussie Daniel Harrison, and two Davis's !  but good list. 

On 10/8/2018 at 1:30 AM, rlno1 said:

Australia (1) - Sammut

New Zealand (1) - Ioane

France (1) - Pellisier

And then you consider the 19 man squad

London/South (2) - Channing, Meadows

And those that weren't included/injured

London/South (5/6) - Ogden, Adibiyi, Davis M (off to Warrington 2019), Davis S, Pearce-Paul (and Bienek who went off to Hull mid season)

Australia (1) - Harrison (but he has been over here several years)

New Zealand (1) - Pewharangi

North (2) - Cunningham, Fleming

I'd be severely disappointed if we started filling the team with journeymen Antipodeans, although I don't see that being the case and we'll continue signing young players from other clubs and bringing through our own. Of those coming home, I could see MCB, Sarginson, Krasniqi, Egodo perhaps, can't see McMeeken sadly. 

33 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I'd be severely disappointed if we started filling the team with journeymen Antipodeans, although I don't see that being the case and we'll continue signing young players from other clubs and bringing through our own. Of those coming home, I could see MCB, Sarginson, Krasniqi, Egodo perhaps, can't see McMeeken sadly. 

There is a place for quality in the squad, but who are going to buy  into our culture.

And remember back in the day, in amongst some of the detritus we signed, we did have the ability to sign the quality of  Scott Hill, Mark McLinden, Tommy Leuluia, Jim Dymock, Jason Hetherington, Richie Barnett, Grant Young, Spud Carroll, John Timu, Craig Gower and (the best of the lot) Jamie Soward; and created stars out of Dennis Moran, Tony Mestrov, Peter Gill, Steele Retchless, Denny Solomona, Tils Vea and Tony Martin. Due diligence is required and unearthing some diamonds but marquee must be on the agenda.

I think Mason CB would be a good addition; as far as I am aware he is on loan to Toronto.

And there must be several players on the potential list with Leeds off loading and Toronto’s non promotion; possibly some Champ players wanting to go full time.

I don’t know if Josh Drinkwater counts as an Aussie journeyman but he showed what an impact he can have at Catalan. Would Broncos fans welcome him back? 

Caton-Brown would be a great addition. His pace with Dixon on the other wing would really give some cutting edge. Sargison would be the kind of centre who could unleash that threat. Given the tragedy that has befallen his family, a move for compassionate reasons doesn’t sound that far fetched.

Feels like three returning players could really add to the squad mentality they have. A little more in the pack could really make them competitive. Hudd apparently want Ikahihifo’s big wage off their books and could really be the big signing that could make the difference upfront. The attraction of a year or two living in London for Antipodeans shouldn’t be discounted.

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

You say tomatoes I say tomartoes 

nah didnt mean it like that. off course hes developed through the brrocnos academy post us just think its important to show how the pathway works. we have 9 there currently in academy and skolarship (pardon the play on words)

Archived