Grand Final Crowd

By my reckoning, there's about 68k expected on Saturday, given the available tickets on the RFL website. 

Given the Challenge Cup Final attendance and the reasons attributed to that, what would be a reasonable turnout at Old Trafford? I'd say anything under 70k would be disappointing and that this could be a possible further signal of problems within the game.

Whilst I shall be there irrespective, what are other regulars' plans? Anyone going who doesn't usually? Anyone not going who would have been a shoe-in in previous years?

Edit - My disappointment with a sub-70k crowd stems from the fact that this match-up is deserving of a full house, not that I am some sort of perpetual whinger. The more folk who get to be there to see it, the better, IMO. Can't wait to get there.

Just now, Whippet13 said:

70k is about average for the GF. Wigan have sold out and asked for an additional allocation of tickets. Ground capacity is around 74k.

All in it's just over 75k. I think there are around 7k tickets left, but that doesn't account for any returns ticket companies etc might have. Warrington looking like they're struggling to sell too many more.

Just now, Northern Eel said:

All in it's just over 75k. I think there are around 7k tickets left, but that doesn't account for any returns ticket companies etc might have. Warrington looking like they're struggling to sell too many more.

The Grand Final capacity is less than what the capacity would be for a United game. The entertainment and big screen deduct a bit. For example the 2015 final was a sellout and the crowd was 73,512.

Just now, Damien said:

The Grand Final capacity is less than what the capacity would be for a United game. The entertainment and big screen deduct a bit. For example the 2015 final was a sellout and the crowd was 73,512.

Fair point. That's possibly 66k sold then, in which case. 

Capacity is always reduced for the big screen and the band, so it's around 73k or 74k. The crowd will be about average. The last two finals between these teams got 66k in 2013 and 70k in 2016 so a projection of 68k is bang on the average.

18 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

By my reckoning, there's about 68k expected on Saturday, given the available tickets on the RFL website. 

Given the Challenge Cup Final attendance and the reasons attributed to that, what would be a reasonable turnout at Old Trafford? I'd say anything under 70k would be very disappointing and that this would be a possible further signal of problems within the game.

Whilst I shall be there irrespective, what are other regulars' plans? Anyone going who doesn't usually? Anyone not going who would have been a shoe-in in previous years?

Yup. Looks a disaster to me? 

9EB67D2A-1396-4605-9604-65E37BDFD29C.png

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Everyone is being squeezed financially, and RL fans in general probably have less disposable income than fans of other sports (I’m generalising there but you get my point).

Warrington fans in particular will feel it this year with the Wembley trip already eating into their RL budget.   The club has been to many finals in the last 9 years so it’s not like the fans can justify the extra spending as a ‘one-off’.   Some (not me I might add) are probably also put off by the likelihood of a comprehensive loss to a very solid Wigan outfit.

I actually think close to 70k will be a decent result when you also take into account people’s fears of an impending adjustment of the UK economy and housing market post-Brexit.

I’m lucky enough to be able to attend this year and as long as the atmosphere is electric the actual attendance won’t bother me...

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

8 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Do RL fans just look for things to moan about -  25 years ago we couldn’t of dreamt of such a crown.

No. I get off my backside and promote the game out of the heartlands and take pride in many of the people I have introduced to the game in Essex and Nottinghamshire travelling some distance to be at all the major finals. I love the Grand Final and think it deserves to sell out every single time. If that's a moan, forgive me.

Just now, Northern Eel said:

I have introduced to the game in Essex

The day I have to sit next to someone from TOWIE at a rugby league match is the day I quit the sport...   and I’m an expansionist! 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Just now, Desert Skipper said:

Everyone is being squeezed financially, and RL fans in general probably have less disposable income than fans of other sports (I’m generalising there but you get my point).

Warrington fans in particular will feel it this year with the Wembley trip already eating into their RL budget.   The club has been to many finals in the last 9 years so it’s not like the fans can justify the extra spending as a ‘one-off’.   Some (not me I might add) are probably also put off by the likelihood of a comprehensive loss to a very solid Wigan outfit.

I actually think close to 70k will be a decent result when you also take into account people’s fears of an impending adjustment of the UK economy and housing market post-Brexit.

I’m lucky enough to be able to attend this year and as long as the atmosphere is electric the actual attendance won’t bother me...

Some really good, constructive points. I guess that it's not just as simple as saying 'Old Trafford is only down the road' when you also consider the add-ons to making it a belting day out.

I've missed two grand finals (the first two) since its inception and one challenge cup final since it moved away from Wembley, and I don't really care how many other folk go as it is ALWAYS a great day out. 

Looking back at the averages for the past few years, I was surprised that the average was around the 70k mark. I'd have guessed a couple thousand more, hence my initial question.

I’m going as a neutral (well a neutral that hopes Wire win) but interestingly a mate at work who is a Wire fan isn’t going with his reason being that his last couple of experiences at OT have been ruined by too many drunk people in ground and fighting by fans.  Now, I can be guilty of being a ‘drunk person at a RL final’ myself but I wonder if there is any merit in having small ‘alcohol free’ zones to see the uptake.  I won’t be in them obvs.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Hang on, the finalists were only confirmed 3/4 days ago. If we really have sold 68k already, we are well on the way to a sellout.

Anyway, thanks for the nudge as I have bought my tickets. You can all be chuffed as it means I won't be posting during a Wigan game. The block I bought from had about 20 tickets left in it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Odsal Outlaw said:

I’m going as a neutral (well a neutral that hopes Wire win) but interestingly a mate at work who is a Wire fan isn’t going with his reason being that his last couple of experiences at OT have been ruined by too many drunk people in ground and fighting by fans.  Now, I can be guilty of being a ‘drunk person at a RL final’ myself but I wonder if there is any merit in having small ‘alcohol free’ zones to see the uptake.  I won’t be in them obvs.

I have some wonderful experiences at Grand Finals (a few of them as neutrals hoping the Bulls win), but must admit I lost a bit of love for Leeds fans after the 2012 final. All clubs have their minority of course.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

Hang on, the finalists were only confirmed 3/4 days ago. If we really have sold 68k already, we are well on the way to a sellout.

Anyway, thanks for the nudge as I have bought my tickets. You can all be chuffed as it means I won't be posting during a Wigan game. The block I bought from had about 20 tickets left in it.

Sellout would be wonderful. Do you think there are still that many people yet to buy? Hope so! 

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Isn’t this the fifth game between Wire & Wigan this year? 70k wouldn’t be a bad crowd 

6th.

Home and away

Magic

Cup

Super 8s.

Grand Final.

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

financial squeeze

low income fans

Wembley already this year

not a 'one off event'

fears of adjustment in the economy (!)

Brexit (!!)

Even by Rugby League standards, that is a really impressive list of excuses in one post.

Grand Final. Showpiece event. Played in Manchester. Between two teams 1 from Greater Manchester and 1 from literally next door. If the sport is in any way growing, this should be sold out.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Just now, Man of Kent said:

Forgot about Magic. Sixth! Absurd. 

History tells us that Wigan and Warrington in years gone by could have met...

Home and Away

Lancashire Cup

Challenge Cup

John Player/Regal Trophy

Championship Play-offs

...Or six times in a season.

It is nothing new.

Oh and they used to play for the Locker Cup as a pre-season warm up.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Celt said:

financial squeeze

low income fans

Wembley already this year

not a 'one off event'

fears of adjustment in the economy (!)

Brexit (!!)

Even by Rugby League standards, that is a really impressive list of excuses in one post.

Grand Final. Showpiece event. Played in Manchester. Between two teams 1 from Greater Manchester and 1 from literally next door. If the sport is in any way growing, this should be sold out.

Then maybe it’s up to the neutrals to make up for the shortfall of Warrington fans?   Maybe you could see if some of your friends want to come to a showpiece RL event for the first time?    We should all be doing our part.

Archived