Kiwi Team to play Australia

B rad

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/09/dallin-watene-zelezniak-to-captain-new-zealand-in-test-against-australia/

Kiwis team: 1. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (c), 2. Ken Maumalo, 3. Esan Marsters, 4. Joseph Manu, 5. Jordan Rapana, 6. Shaun Johnson, 7. Kodi Nikorima, 8. Jesse Bromwich, 9. Brandon Smith, 10. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 11. Kevin Proctor, 12. Isaac Liu, 13. James Fisher-Harris
Interchange: 14. Kenny Bromwich, 15. Leeson Ah Mau, 16. Martin Taupau, 17. Adam Blair, 18 Peta Hiku, 19. Jahrome Hughes 

Just now, UniSamX said:

I think I would rather Jamayne Isaako was on the wing over Ken M, but other than that I'm happy to accept that's the best we've got for this one.

Now you mention it, that's an insane selection. No way Id have Ken Maumalo in there over Isaako.

2 hours ago, B rad said:

Now you mention it, that's an insane selection. No way Id have Ken Maumalo in there over Isaako.

I don't understand at all, he's probably our best goal kicker as well as being better than Maumalo in most areas. I don't think the overall gain in metreage that Maumalo brings over Isaako is worth sacrificing his running and ball skills.

Australian team

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/kangaroos/mal-meninga-reveals-australian-kangaroos-lineup-to-take-on-new-zealand-kiwis/news-story/ac63c6c64aa8332afb760d0f766c9368

Kangaroos: 1 James Tedesco 2 Dane Gagai 3 Latrell Mitchell 4 Tom Trbojevic 5 Valentine Holmes 6 Luke Keary 7 Daly Cherry-Evans (vc) 8 David Klemmer 9 Damien Cook 10 Jordan McLean 11 Boyd Cordner (c) 12 Felise Kaufusi 13 Josh McGuire

Interchange: 14 Ben Hunt 15 Jake Trbojevic 16 Tyson Frizell 17 Aaron Woods 18 Tyrone Peachey 19 Reagan Campbell-Gillard

It's hard to argue with the Kangaroos team. I might have had Bogan Womble-Dullard at prop instead of McLean, purely for McLean having little game time after such a long absence but then, before his injury, I would have picked McLean in the 17 anyway. Might have started with J-Turbo ahead of McGuire but McGuire is very consistent.

I quite fancy the Kiwi's in this one (and also to beat us unfortunately).. If the kiwis can hold on to the ball and control the ruck i think they'll beat this Australian side.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Not that its terrible, but is this the worst Australian side in the last 30/40 years? There is no one of a Cronk, Smith, Slater, Thurston, Lockyer, Johns, Fittler, Langer, Daily, Stuart, Lewis, Sterling, Kenny calibre in a long long time. Its still a strong side but much weaker then previous Australian sides. 

Two well matched teams, for a change it is the Kiwi's who have the test match experience in the spine and it will be interesting to see if they make this count.

One area I think the Kiwi's have the edge is the ball running in the backline to help out the forwards.  This may help the Kiwi pack get on top as I expect the Kangaroos will be coming away from their own line more often than we have seen in recent years with no Cronk, Smith, Thurston to manage them up field.

If the Kiwi's make this Australian pack work hard early on I think they could get a win.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

To be fair, so is Rapana (a potential calamity)... never dull watching them though.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

The Aussies certainly don't look as impressive as in the past.

Indeed . Of course it’s good but if you played them you wouldn’t fear that or have a mental block like teams of old 

4 hours ago, B rad said:

Not that its terrible, but is this the worst Australian side in the last 30/40 years? There is no one of a Cronk, Smith, Slater, Thurston, Lockyer, Johns, Fittler, Langer, Daily, Stuart, Lewis, Sterling, Kenny calibre in a long long time. Its still a strong side but much weaker then previous Australian sides. 

It looks a pretty good team to Me. Teddy at FB, Decent Halves, and a pack that will at worst be holding parity. Will be hard to see a loss, against a decent Kiwi team, but one lacking a few stars who are out injured. I agree there is no legendary player however, it should still be good enough to win.

I hope Im wrong and NZ win this. RL needs a strong NZ.

1 minute ago, Southerner80 said:

It looks a pretty good team to Me. Teddy at FB, Decent Halves, and a pack that will at worst be holding parity. Will be hard to see a loss, against a decent Kiwi team, but one lacking a few stars who are out injured. I agree there is no legendary player however, it should still be good enough to win.

I hope Im wrong and NZ win this. RL needs a strong NZ.

It is a good team, its just not as good as any previous teams in the last 30 years. Says a lot about the Kangaroos when one can make that statement. No matter who they field they will always be strong as so in this case. 

of the Australian fans who post on here, who looks like kicking on and becoming that next level player taking over from Smith, Thurston, Inglis (I know he is not yet retired from tests but he is wrong side of 30 now) and Slater? As has been said, i see a very good team still but not one that would strike the fear of god in to me were England/GB facing them as it did when all that spine played. you could have played any collection of standard NRL players around that spine and you would have still made the Aussies favourites.

I'm hoping we get a few years now of 'just' very good Australian sides to come up against rather than very good sides plus a few future ATG's coming through but you can bet it won't be long before a couple emerge, in my life time there has always been someone there to take on the mantle.

6 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

of the Australian fans who post on here, who looks like kicking on and becoming that next level player taking over from Smith, Thurston, Inglis (I know he is not yet retired from tests but he is wrong side of 30 now) and Slater? As has been said, i see a very good team still but not one that would strike the fear of god in to me were England/GB facing them as it did when all that spine played. you could have played any collection of standard NRL players around that spine and you would have still made the Aussies favourites.

I'm hoping we get a few years now of 'just' very good Australian sides to come up against rather than very good sides plus a few future ATG's coming through but you can bet it won't be long before a couple emerge, in my life time there has always been someone there to take on the mantle.

Kalyn Ponga and Latrell Mitchell are the 2 to stand out for me who have the potential to be superstars. Tedesco is good but he doesn't have the X factor of Ponga and I'd expect Ponga to take the no 1 jersey in the next couple of years

15 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

Off the top of my head.

Latrell Mitchell,

Kalyn Ponga,

Nathan Cleary

Angus Crichton

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I’d need to see more from Cleary before I put him in the superstar category . Ponga and Mitchell for certainty , and both  Trobjevic brothers have plenty about them . Kids like Radley and Murray are coming on a ton , and the systems and level they come through and attain week in week out mean they’ll always have plenty of quality to match anyone 

Archived