Kiwi Team to play Australia

B rad

Nathan Cleary is still only 20 and is well ahead of where Cronk and Thurston were at his age in terms NRL games and State of Origin debut.  It's not guaranteed that this means he will be up there with them in the end but he is progressing well and full year in 2019 should see him come of age.

Latrell Mitchell is a quality player.  He really does remind of Inglis in his heyday when every touch looked like he was going to break the defensive line.  He can drift out of games at times but he is a superstar already.

I'm not convinced that Crichton will become a superstar.  I really like him as a player but he is behind Frizzell and Kaufusi as a right edge forward and I'm not sure he will get that much better.

Ponga is great and Australia still have a wealth of talent at full back with Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic and Ponga battling for the number 1 spot over the next few years.

I'm not convinced about Munster and I thought that Luke Keary should have been in the Kangaroo squad ahead of him.  The way that he bossed the Grand Final, he has the talent to step up.  With Cherry Evans 29 now we could see Clearly and Keary at 6 & 7 for the Kangaroos in the next few years.

Nick Cotric will get his Kangaroo debut in the next couple of years as he is developing as expected.

As DavidM points out Victor Radley and Cam Murry are the pick of the young backrowers coming through at the moment while Brisbane has some real talent coming through the junior ranks but will need time to develop.

I would say overall, the NRL is churning out as many quality forwards and outside backs but not as many half backs as it has in the past.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Mitchell looks a great prospect, is already very good but quite a way to go to reach Inglis at his best. Otherwise good summary of the rest. I would agree Cleary looks to be the one that within a few years could be knocking on the door of being the next great if he continues his trajectory but at just 20 its early days, lets see how he looks by the time of the next WC.

5 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

Mitchell looks a great prospect, is already very good but quite a way to go to reach Inglis at his best. Otherwise good summary of the rest. I would agree Cleary looks to be the one that within a few years could be knocking on the door of being the next great if he continues his trajectory but at just 20 its early days, lets see how he looks by the time of the next WC.

This Australian ream looks very similar to the one that played in the 2014 four nations and lost both games to New Zealand the opening game at Lang Park 30 -14 and the final in Wellington 22 - 18.From memory we beat England narrowly in  a game where the rub of the green went our way big time..

This Australian team is very beatable but you just never quite no what you are going to get from the kiwis they remind me  of that old nursery rhyme "when she's good she's very good , but when she's bad she's horrid."New Zealand by 20 Australia by 30 neither result would shock me.

As far as the next big thing in the Australian game I disagree with Dunbar about Munster, I still remember him making his origin debut in the deciding game in 2017 and he was absolutely dominant, best player on the field,by a mile, it was like watching Wally Lewis in his prime..

Didn't  quite come up as well as I expected this year  but he showed glimpses of it, the pieces  haven't quite fallen into place yet but they will and when they do we are going to see one hell of a footballer..

49 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

I’m with David M on Cleary, he’s clearly good and talented but I’ve not seen anything to say he has the X factor in the halves of Thurston, Lockyer or Johns etc. Dunbar is right that he is ahead of others at his age but we’re talking about potential which is perhaps more difficult to judge but I’m yet to be convinced he is in the same category 

19 minutes ago, Luckycreed said:

As far as the next big thing in the Australian game I disagree with Dunbar about Munster, I still remember him making his origin debut in the deciding game in 2017 and he was absolutely dominant, best player on the field,by a mile, it was like watching Wally Lewis in his prime..

Didn't  quite come up as well as I expected this year  but he showed glimpses of it, the pieces  haven't quite fallen into place yet but they will and when they do we are going to see one hell of a footballer.

That's a big call with Lewis being one the best of all time.  I look forward to seeing how Munster comes on in the next couple of years.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Kalyn Ponga is a talented player and seems like a ok person but remember when sport was about morals an integrity? Wonder what Brad Thorn, Semi Radradra and Rangi Chase are thinking!

Why do you say that?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

36 minutes ago, Allora said:

Why do you say tbat?

Because Ponga has chosen Australia in Rugby League and then publicly said he wants to play for the ALL Blacks in Rugby Union.

Anyway, the kiwi's need Warea-Hargraves to replicate his NRL form in a test match for once. DWZ is an interesting choice as captain its a new start for the side. Bromich being the former captain caught on CCTV sniffing a line of coke, needs to play out of his skin to earn some redemption.

18 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Because Ponga has chosen Australia in Rugby League and then publicly said he wants to play for the ALL Blacks in Rugby Union.

Anyway, the kiwi's need Warea-Hargraves to replicate his NRL form in a test match for once. DWZ is an interesting choice as captain its a new start for the side. Bromich being the former captain caught on CCTV sniffing a line of coke, needs to play out of his skin to earn some redemption.

Can't really blame Ponga. He qualifies for both nations and basically wants to play for the best national team in each. Its a fair assumption that most of the time the FB for the ABs or the Kangaroos is the best in their codes. To be both would be some achievement. 

41 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Can't really blame Ponga. He qualifies for both nations and basically wants to play for the best national team in each. Its a fair assumption that most of the time the FB for the ABs or the Kangaroos is the best in their codes. To be both would be some achievement. 

Well, seeing as though Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has just named full back the year and player of the year in the NRL that assumption would be wrong at the moment.

The best teams in particular sport don't necessarily have the best players in each position.

Archived