13 Oct: SL Grand Final: Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves by 13 points or more
    • Warrington Wolves by 7 to 12 points
    • Warrington Wolves by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/10/18 at 17:00

As a Warrington fan, I fully expect a comprehensive Wigan victory based on what we’ve seen so far this season.   They’ve been the team that can win when it counts (bar one loss ?)  and I won’t begrudge them a victory.

Warrington have done well to bounce back from last year’s disaster and I think it’s fair to say we are a year ahead of where we expected to be.   Some major squad changes that happened at the last minute, under a new coach who didn’t get a full pre-season with the squad and has asked the players to adapt to a totally different mindset and style of play.

I’ve gone for a Wigan victory by 7+ points, but at the same time this is an unpredictable Warrington team...   and it could well turn out like an episode of ‘Stranger Things’.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

Wolves motivated to deliver GF success at 4th attempt, particularly v Wigan after 2013 & 2016 defeats. Need another full 80 mins top performance from 1-17, no handling errors and avoid giving away cheap pens. Last opportunity for Tyrone & Kevin to shine.....!! ?

2 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

As a Warrington fan, I fully expect a comprehensive Wigan victory based on what we’ve seen so far this season.   They’ve been the team that can win when it counts (bar one loss ?)  and I won’t begrudge them a victory.

Warrington have done well to bounce back from last year’s disaster and I think it’s fair to say we are a year ahead of where we expected to be.   Some major squad changes that happened at the last minute, under a new coach who didn’t get a full pre-season with the squad and has asked the players to adapt to a totally different mindset and style of play.

I’ve gone for a Wigan victory by 7+ points, but at the same time this is an unpredictable Warrington team...   and it could well turn out like an episode of ‘Stranger Things’.

I'd hope for a Wigan win, but I would be amazed if it was a comprehensive one.

If both sides resist pressure, then it ought to be a very close result. 

1 hour ago, Loan Wolf said:

Wolves motivated to deliver GF success at 4th attempt, particularly v Wigan after 2013 & 2016 defeats. Need another full 80 mins top performance from 1-17, no handling errors and avoid giving away cheap pens. Last opportunity for Tyrone & Kevin to shine.....!! ?

I think Roberts has shined a couple of times, so the odds of him shining now aren’t short.

Heart is primrose and blue.

Head is cherry and white........unfortunately.

Steve Price has galvanised the Wire this season, got them to both major finals and reinstalled a belief in players and fans alike. I hope he utilises Mr Waynes selection as coach of the year (having won nothing yet) as a motivational tool.

Here's to a great game, whoever wins.

Hope Warrington do it but I can't see past a Wigan win. They have that experience and motivation with people leaving the club and Warrington seemed to play their GF last week with that epic win. Hope I'm wrong! It would be nice to see a new name on the trophy.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

I am concerned that we may not be everyone’s second favourite team. For those undecided whether to don cherry and white specs, if you look beyond the jerseys there are 16 great stories behind the lads likely to be lining up for us..

davies - for people with long memories. My auntie (who will be with us again on Saturday) watched his great grandfather in the 1930s, an era when most players would stop for a cigarette and a shot between scrums...

gildart - for people who remember his dad in the 80s. Every great team needs its honest toilers, but being honest I can remember his doing absolutely nothing of note in the hundreds of games I watched him play. Fair to say the son is far more entertaining...

sarg - for those with a soft spot for Hertfordshire (probably a niche group). Playing through the shock and horror of losing his brother...

manfredi - for those with a soft spot for ice cream. We are lucky to be able to watch him at all after 2 years of agony, let alone to see him going so well. Legs of a sprinter, body of a he man...

williams - for those hankering for a running half for England - possibly time to shine for England, with Gale dropping out of the Kiwi games. Once he gets his prominent nose through the line he is a sight to behold...

leuluai - for those who like good guys. Was thoughtful and kind to the extended Exiled family when we went through tough times. He has come a long way from giving his all for the Brentford Broncos...

Flower - for those who like a Welsh success story, and who enjoyed the look of panic on his face when he broke the line against Cas...

powell - for those who appreciate a master of every dark art. Despite being possibly the dirtiest player in the league, oddly seems to attract no ire from opposition fans (that might reflect the level of threat he inspires)...

clubb - for those with only 1 kidney. Typical day - morning: jellied eels for breakfast, afternoon - kidney taken out, evening - 20 minutes stints of random destruction, followed by saveloy supper...

faz - for those who like their ginger pearls. Following in the footsteps of Radlinski and Dallas, a testimony to the powers of factor 50...

bateman - for those who like their skinny strong men. Our best player, and will be missed, but high chance of his coming back after being deported for falling out with his own team...

lockers - for those who admire curly tops. Year in, year out, he can always be relied upon to ask for the same hair style for his £5 spend in Hindley Hair Dos...

escare - for those who like their oo la la! We strongly suspect that he has as little idea where he is going to go next as the opposition. What’s French for je ne sais quoi?

navarette - for those who like a second chance. Was so homesick he asked to be released from his contract, but is now the real deal. Hopefully France will get to see him play if anyone ever gets to organise some Tests for them...

Sutton - for those who like Mrs Doubtfire look alikes...

greenwood - for those who admire thick skins. Choosing Wigan on his return from the NRL has guaranteed many years of the Judas chants which so upset Gary Connelly before him. 

Not a bad lot. If only they were playing for Toronto everyone would love them. ?

16 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I’m i right in thinking no team has lost both Challenge Cup and Grand Final in the same year? 

Are you taking the pee Plowey? We achieved that two years ago!

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If you look beyond the jerseys there should be 16 great stories lining up for us..

I'll do a Warrington one then...

1) Ratchford - perennial bridesmaid and deserves to finally win the grand final.

2-17) All others - please see above and repeat as necessary.

My ingrained "anyone but the pies" instincts are telling me to support Wire in this. But as I said on a thread about who you'd want to face in the Semi Finals, Wigan have a sense of real desire behind them this year.

It feels a hell of a lot like Leeds' past 2 wins where, when the chips are down or the game is looking a bit shakey, Wigan will have the emotional reason to do that extra 10% to make the tackle or get over the line.

Or Wire could do what they did in the cup and blow them away. 

Love the Grand Final!

24 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I am concerned that we may not be everyone’s second favourite team. For those undecided whether to don cherry and white specs, if you look beyond the jerseys there are 16 great stories behind the lads likely to be lining up for us..

davies - for people with long memories. My auntie (who will be with us again on Saturday) watched his great grandfather in the 1930s, an era when most players would stop for a cigarette and a shot between scrums...

gildart - for people who remember his dad in the 80s. Every great team needs its honest toilers, but being honest I can remember his doing absolutely nothing of note in the hundreds of games I watched him play. Fair to say the son is far more entertaining...

sarg - for those with a soft spot for Hertfordshire (probably a niche group). Playing through the shock and horror of losing his brother...

manfredi - for those with a soft spot for ice cream. We are lucky to be able to watch him at all after 2 years of agony, let alone to see him going so well. Legs of a sprinter, body of a he man...

williams - for those hankering for a running half for England - possibly time to shine for England, with Gale dropping out of the Kiwi games. Once he gets his prominent nose through the line he is a sight to behold...

leuluai - for those who like good guys. Was thoughtful and kind to the extended Exiled family when we went through tough times. He has come a long way from giving his all for the Brentford Broncos...

Flower - for those who like a Welsh success story, and who enjoyed the look of panic on his face when he broke the line against Cas...

powell - for those who appreciate a master of every dark art. Despite being possibly the dirtiest player in the league, oddly seems to attract no ire from opposition fans (that might reflect the level of threat he inspires)...

clubb - for those with only 1 kidney. Typical day - morning: jellied eels for breakfast, afternoon - kidney taken out, evening - 20 minutes stints of random destruction, followed by saveloy supper...

faz - for those who like their ginger pearls. Following in the footsteps of Radlinski and Dallas, a testimony to the powers of factor 50...

bateman - for those who like their skinny strong men. Our best player, and will be missed, but high chance of his coming back after being deported for falling out with his own team...

lockers - for those who admire curly tops. Year in, year out, he can always be relied upon to ask for the same hair style for his £5 spend in Hindley Hair Dos...

escare - for those who like their oo la la! We strongly suspect that he has as little idea where he is going to go next as the opposition. What’s French for je ne sais quoi?

navarette - for those who like a second chance. Was so homesick he asked to be released from his contract, but is now the real deal. Hopefully France will get to see him play if anyone ever gets to organise some Tests for them...

greenwood - for those who admire thick skins. Choosing Wigan on his return from the NRL has guaranteed many years of the Judas chants which so upset Gary Connelly before him. 

Not a bad lot. If only they were playing for Toronto everyone would love them. ?

I read all that and just ended up feeling "its such a shame they're at Wigan!"

29 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I’ve been a Wire fan all my life but having just read the above I’m going to have to change my team because there’s obviously nobody in the Warrington line up with a similar tale ?

I am happy with all this writing off the wires chances and how fate will surely be on Wigans side. Speaking to a few wigganers I hope their overconfidence/arrogance rubs off on the players a bit like it did with saints last week. It will be a tight game won by the team that converts their chances. And you wire fans on here stop being so negative you know its our year. ?

10 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

And you wire fans on here stop being so negative you know its our year. ?

?

I just feel Wigan are rightly strong favourites.   However I also know that if Warrington give it their all we have a really good chance.   I really won’t mind if we lose as long as we show our potential and really kick on next year with a bit more of an attacking edge and get better at finding a way to win those tight games.

In fact I think I will actually be able to relax and enjoy this grand final for a change... no pressure.

3 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

?

I just feel Wigan are rightly strong favourites.   However I also know that if Warrington give it their all we have a really good chance.   I really won’t mind if we lose as long as we show our potential and really kick on next year with a bit more of an attacking edge and get better at finding a way to win those tight games.

In fact I think I will actually be able to relax and enjoy this grand final for a change... no pressure.

People think because of wane, Tomkins, Bateman, Sutton they will be motivated and their defence is unbreakable, well Wilkins, barba, Holbrook all thought they were destined to be at OT and they had the best defence and best attack, and what happened. We could say it's the year of the underdog, catalan, London, York, Warrington. 

Although I feel that momentum is with Wigan at the moment, and when better than the end of the season, all clubs are capable of blowing it when it comes to the crunch games.

Warrington are in the final for a reason, and it isn't being lucky.

Writing off the opposition in a major final is a major mistake.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

At my age I dont want to want one team to win because I dont like the other . I hope its a great final and may the best team win .Wigan are favourites ,But I have sneaky Hunch wire will win this .No idea of the score 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Archived