Bring back the 4 Nations

Given the ARL opposition to a GB tour in 2019 and the general lack of calender for international games planning ahead surely it has to be said the loss of the 4 Nations is a negative. 

We could have seen England, France, Oz and NZ this year 

Or England, Oz, Tonga and NZ if down under. 

Both sets look good and would make money. France at home will draw 10k for each game and even get TV. They are the NH team to develop. 

Tonga are hot right now and the whole 4N could be in NZ and raise them some cash 

Missed opportunity I feel as 4N was working OK as a concept. 

Southerner80 you are right. The thing is the fourth team had been competitive despite the predictions and the concept could have been increased gradually to five or even six countries. Just playing Australia and New Zealand is a backwards step in my view. I would rather England and let wales try to qualify.

Loved the 4 nations with the 4th team given a chance v the big 3.

One of my best RL memories is the Scotland draw against NZ at Worky in the wind and rain - special night when NZs NRL superstars proved they didn't like it up them.... 

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Given the ARL opposition to a GB tour in 2019 and the general lack of calender for international games planning ahead surely it has to be said the loss of the 4 Nations is a negative. 

Both sets look good and would make money. France at home will draw 10k for each game and even get TV. They are the NH team to develop. 

Tonga are hot right now and the whole 4N could be in NZ and raise them some cash 

Do you know why there isn't a 4 nations?

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

3 hours ago, nkpom said:

3 Nations is better - we get to play both Kangaroos and Kiwis twice and then the final. Real Test football.

I think four nations is better because it gives an opportunity to develop a fourth team, and because one team isn't sitting out each week while the other two play. The rugby union championship is better now that Argentina have been added to make four. The same is true for rugby league, in my opinion. But it should always be France and not a Scotland team full of non-scots!

4 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

I would alter the concept and play a World Series. Similar to the 4 nations but with promotion and relegation of the top 20 national teams. Teams would be in pools according to world rankings. The World Series before the World Cup would make up the competing nations.

According to World Rankings It would currently look like this 

Gold Pool 

Australia New Zealand England Tonga

Silver Pool 

Fiji Samoa Scotland France

Bronze Pool 

Lebanon PNG Ireland Wales

Blue Pool 

Italy USA Jamaica Canada 

Red Pool 

Serbia Malta Norway Russia 

I quite like the idea of what Football have brought in with this Nations League thing. I’m not suggesting we need anything as convoluted and confusing but there’s something in there. 

For those who don’t know, European nations have been placed into pots depending on previous rankings and results and with those pots, groups were drawn with the potential for promotion and relegation and a trophy at the end for the best of the top ranked teams. 

We could have two Tiers of six Nations with each nation expected to play five games against the other nations in their tier over say a two or three year period with a trophy (and potentially a Final if the appetite and time allows) for Tier One’s best nation, relegation from Tier One for its 6th place finisher and Tier Two’s winner (be it a straight one up, one down or Final winner) moves up to Tier One for the next Nations Competition. 

I’d like to think that by having sides in their respective pots, you’d see closer games than some International games we have seen in the past and would pit similar ranked nations against each other. 

I wouldn’t have a host venue, I’d have games in the respective home countries/venues of those scheduled to play at home so we could see England have to play in Tonga and/or PNG and Lebanon and Fiji playing Scotland in Galashiels.

Tier One could be Australia, England, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, PNG. 

Tier Two could be France, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Fiji, Italy or Lebanon. 

The schedule could work as follows (if it were implemented next year, as an example): 

2019 - Mid-Season - Round One. 

2019 - End of Season - Round Two, Three and Four. 

2020 - Mid-Season - Round Five. 

2020 - End of Season - Tier One Grand Final and Tier Two Promotion Final. 

Obviously you’d need some financial remuneration/additional funding as a carrot for Tier Two’s Nations, all nations to be on board with the idea and all nations to be able to afford two or three trips to the opposite hemisphere but one can dream. 

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

You're turning into the riddler with your questions. Do you know why there isn't?

There's no 4nations anymore because the RFL,NZRL & ARLC gave up the rights so the RLIF could host a 2nz "RLIF GLOBAL EVENT"...that 2nd event was originally planned to be a 8 team confed cup but has "evolved" into a RLIF world 9s

In return for giving up the 4 nations it was agreed that Australia,nz & England/GB would tour each others countries to make up the revenue they lost from the 4nations..

Any other questions lad?

OLDHAM RLFC

I'd go for an annual end of year nations league, but 16 teams across 4 tiers.

T1: Aus, NZ, Eng, Tonga

T2: France, Fiji, Samoa, Lebanon

T3: Wales, Ireland, PNG, Scotland.

T4: Europe (& Africa) 1, Americas 1,  Oceania (& Asia) 1, Europe 2

Each year have regional tournaments in each region, with the winner qualifying for the end of year Nations League T4. 1 up, 1 down from T1 to T3, with T4 allocations staying the say. So say Scotland get relegated from T3, with the USA (Americas 1) winning T4, then the T4 berth allocations still remain the same, but Americas will have one more participant in the nations league, and Europe one less. I'd also add a stipulation that no neutral venues may be used.

54 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

If we are honest the pinnacle for an Australian Rugby League player is to play SOO.

It would appear that a lot of Australian RL players would rather play SOO than internationals for Australia.

Yet when a microphone was shoved in Cam Smith gob second after the hooter went in the world cup final against England he said "that was the hardest game he's ever played in in his life"...

PS...it's also true origin players get $50k a game....kangaroos only get $20k

Think about that...

OLDHAM RLFC

14 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Ideal situation is they turn internationals into a money maker and use that cash to scrap the stupid loop fixture idea.

8 hours ago, The Future is League said:

If we are honest the pinnacle for an Australian Rugby League player is to play SOO.

It would appear that a lot of Australian RL players would rather play SOO than internationals for Australia.

Actually as an Australian I don't agree with that, as broadly speaking it is easier to make a QLD or NSW team than it is to make the Australian team.For an Australian player making the test team is the pinnacle because it is harder to get picked in it than it is an origin.team.

Sure a kid growing.up in Townsville is probably dreaming of playing for QLD not Australia but if he gets to play for QLD  he still hasn't reached the top of the mountain and the competitive drive kicks in, he wants to be seen as the best and that means getting picked to play for Australia.

9 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

There's no 4nations anymore because the RFL,NZRL & ARLC gave up the rights so the RLIF could host a 2nz "RLIF GLOBAL EVENT"...that 2nd event was originally planned to be a 8 team confed cup but has "evolved" into a RLIF world 9s

In return for giving up the 4 nations it was agreed that Australia,nz & England/GB would tour each others countries to make up the revenue they lost from the 4nations..

Any other questions lad?

Thanks for the info. They made a big mistake IMO to change something that was working. 8 team tournaments make no sense as that is basically a world Cup under another name. 

Bring back the 4N!

It is a bit of a tragedy that this has just died without a suitable replacement being secured.

We have gone miles backwards here.

I think the 4N had it's flaws since it moved from a 3N, but with the strength of some of the other nations, this really should have been expanding, ideally to the 8 that was pencilled in.

We are just fannying  around with the odd match here and there. 

10 hours ago, The Future is League said:

If playing for Australia is the best of NSW and Queensland, then surely that would be harder to achieve and therefore that would make playing for Australia the pinnacle? 

I said at the time it was a huge mistake to go back to tours and just GB, Nz and Aus. Players want to win trophies not best of 3 test series. 4 Nations is probably outdated now, but something like an RLIF International League would be interesting. Eng, Aus, NZ, Tonga, Fiji, France for example plus promotion and relegation between the bottom and top team of pool 2 eg PNG, Wales, USA, Samoa, Lebanon, Scotland. Other pools determined on rankings and rewards for countries with the most development. League 1 (top tier) would win a trophy after 2 years of matches home and away. 

5 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I said at the time it was a huge mistake to go back to tours and just GB, Nz and Aus. Players want to win trophies not best of 3 test series. 4 Nations is probably outdated now, but something like an RLIF International League would be interesting. Eng, Aus, NZ, Tonga, Fiji, France for example plus promotion and relegation between the bottom and top team of pool 2 eg PNG, Wales, USA, Samoa, Lebanon, Scotland. Other pools determined on rankings and rewards for countries with the most development. League 1 (top tier) would win a trophy after 2 years of matches home and away. 

I think of you asked any British player or indeed most English Rugby League supporters what their ultimate moment would be, it would be to knock off Australia in a best of three series.

4 minutes ago, Luckycreed said:

I think of you asked any British player or indeed most English Rugby League supporters what their ultimate moment would be, it would be to knock off Australia in a best of three series.

Maybe back in the old days, but winning the WC would be the pinnacle now. 

Archived