Jamie’s caught again. Whoops, he did it again....

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I tend to agree, somewhat, regarding his ability, but I do think he's gone a couple of steps further that Hock did.  The RFL are also due a review of the Grades as it seems the deterrent isn't enough.

If the RFL disciplinary site is correct, he has been suspended for a total of 36 games over the last 3 seasons.

22 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I really can't see another club wanting him

There is always a coach somewhere who considers he can do better than other coaches with the known "bad lads" it has always happened and I see no reason that it will not continue to do so, it should not carry any responsibillity for any coach, they have the insurance of get out clauses in any contract agreements.

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If the RFL disciplinary site is correct, he has been suspended for a total of 36 games over the last 3 seasons.

So, roughly a full season out every 3 is a damning statistic.  Wonder how that compares with Hocks.  

16 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I spent an hour with an ex Wakey forward from that era and he told some cracking tales of Frank.  When he hit ‘em they stayed hit.

Funny how we can look back at different era's and rejoice in the abillities of the "hard men" and their propensity and natural tendency to "dish it out" but fast forward to today and if someone recieves a nasty look in wrong direction there are those who call for the disciplinary to be donning black caps for their judgement.

I write this not in any way connected to Jamie Acton, it is a generalisation I feel we have in the game and most other walks of life, everything has to be 'politically correct' nowadays the values that not to long ago everyday people took for granted which in the main worked, like people having respect and maybe fear of policemen, or in RL's case beware of the minders (player's like Frank Foster) if you over step the mark, in my opinion RL has become to sanitized, and it is worse for it.

Now I sit back and await all the budding Lord Longfords defending the present day laws and rulings and the way they are administered through faceless refferees, I mean that in the most polite way that they have no charachter, they are not allowed to develop their own style and interpretations like a lot of their predecessors did, they are under the microscope constantly, their every move is analysed and judged and judged again, they have no option but to be politically correct.

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Funny how we can look back at different era's and rejoice in the abillities of the "hard men" and their propensity and natural tendency to "dish it out" but fast forward to today and if someone recieves a nasty look in wrong direction there are those who call for the disciplinary to be donning black caps for their judgement.

I write this not in any way connected to Jamie Acton, it is a generalisation I feel we have in the game and most other walks of life, everything has to be 'politically correct' nowadays the values that not to long ago everyday people took for granted which in the main worked, like people having respect and maybe fear of policemen, or in RL's case beware of the minders (player's like Frank Foster) if you over step the mark, in my opinion RL has become to sanitized, and it is worse for it.

Now I sit back and await all the budding Lord Longfords defending the present day laws and rulings and the way they are administered through faceless refferees, I mean that in the most polite way that they have no charachter, they are not allowed to develop their own style and interpretations like a lot of their predecessors did, they are under the microscope constantly, their every move is analysed and judged and judged again, they have no option but to be politically correct.

Perhaps in yesteryear,players with a similar physique faced each other and went toe to toe.Nowadays the big forwards wait until the smaller ball player has passed the ball,is facing away,and then strikes the defenceless individual.

Or,pulls him from a prone position and strikes him.

Sometimes,the referee doesn't see the offence(s) and it is the Match Review Panel who do the necessary.

Staying on topic - What was the disciplinary record for Acton when he was at Workington? 

He played at Sheffield Eagles,on dual reg from Leigh,and his conduct was exemplary.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Perhaps in yesteryear,players with a similar physique faced each other and went toe to toe.Nowadays the big forwards wait until the smaller ball player has passed the ball,is facing away,and then strikes the defenceless individual.

Or,pulls him from a prone position and strikes him.

Sometimes,the referee doesn't see the offence(s) and it is the Match Review Panel who do the necessary.

Staying on topic - What was the disciplinary record for Acton when he was at Workington? 

He played at Sheffield Eagles,on dual reg from Leigh,and his conduct was exemplary.

But that is what I was intimating at, those big forwards of yesteryear still had the opportunity to monster those of a lesser physique but most probably did so with caution when knowing and realising that retribution would not take long by those who had the abillities to do so, like Frank Foster, call it a code of conduct, an eye for an eye, it went on, most probably under the eye of an understanding official who knew what was taking place and why.

Protecting your more skillfull player's and those ball players was paramount they would and could be the difference in the amount of your take home pay for the match, a win could be double that of a loss.

On your other point of Acton, I don't know, should it matter, unless you are intimating he was sent out to "do some damage" by the various coaches he has had at Leigh, if that was so I would hope that he would speak up about it, name and shame, and they would be banned from coaching.

Archived