Academy FIxtures & Team News

walneyite

At home again next Wednesday (17th) against Warrington Wolves with a 2pm kick off at Craven Park.

We try desperately to get night matches but not all the opposing teams will agree to this but hey ho.  Because we are constantly negotiating over kick off times it is hard to publish a list of upcoming matches but the best place to get up to date info is on the Furness Raiders twitter account which is updated by people more tech savvy than me :)

To date we have beaten Salford Red Devils and New College Pontefract (Fev) and lost at Halifax so an excellent start.  Many of the older boys have been unavailable through injuries/work, etc so we have been fielding very young sides and boy have they done well.

BarrowRaiders-keithnutter-1.png

Hi Keith thanks for that. I get that the older boys have problems with injuries/work etc, not to mention holidays and other commitments but isn't that the same for our opponents? I don't get it. 2 PM on a Wednesday? Crazy. Great that the young boys are doing well, but won't they be at school/college?  Most supporters who want to see these lads are at work. How does this work?

10 minutes ago, TMF said:

Hi Keith thanks for that. I get that the older boys have problems with injuries/work etc, not to mention holidays and other commitments but isn't that the same for our opponents? I don't get it. 2 PM on a Wednesday? Crazy. Great that the young boys are doing well, but won't they be at school/college?  Most supporters who want to see these lads are at work. How does this work?

2pm on Wednesday was always set aside for college sport so I’m assuming this is still the case and if the 2 clubs can’t agree on a kick off time then they play at this time. 

OK, Shawy, thanks,  your up to speed more than me, but how does this advance the provision of players and support? What happens if they are in the middle of taking exams? It just seems strange but if that's the rule, so be it.

Kick off times in the College league are set at 2pm and that I believe is the case for all College sports.  Generally it is lads and lasses at College wanting to do a sport on Wednesday afternoons.

However, the College RL Premier division is slightly different in that all the teams are RFL Cat 3 accredited sides linked (generally) to professional clubs and a College. 

All our players are at College and (in the main) serving a recognised apprenticeship.

When we started up we got huge amounts of advice from both the RFL and the College set up but we always knew that sides could insist on a 2pm kick off.

We have worked tirelessly (and still do) to secure later kick offs but sadly don't always get what we want.

As things stand at the moment I believe we have secured 7p kick offs for home matches against Halifax, Wakefield Trinity, Hopwood Hall (Rochdale) and Huddersfield Giants,  We have already played Salford Red Devils at home at 7pm.

So only Pontefract (Hull) and Warrington Wolves haven't been able to accommodate our request.  Two out of seven aint bad.

This week's match is likely to be our last afternoon kick off - 2pm Wednesday at Craven Park v Warrington

The above is only a quick summary but if anybody  wants a craic about how it all works feel free to call down the college on any Monday when we train (6.30pm to 8pm) and I can give you more detail.

BarrowRaiders-keithnutter-1.png

Archived