Cumbria/Cumberland cup

Can anybody help me please? I have not seen any scores in the Cumbria County cup this season and I guess it has been scrapped as the Cumbria ARL also seems to have been. I have inserted below the results from the 2017 competition. Can anybody tell me if there is still a official County cup competition under a different name? I see there is the CARL cup, the EB & Lamb cup and the Iggesund Cumberland cup (Final still to be played). I guess traditionalists will say that the Cumberland cup has always been the County cup but prior to 1982 Cumberland/Cumbrian teams played in the Lancashire cup.

CUMBRIA CUP.

Round 1.

Ellenborough Rangers (Workington)

Glasson Rangers (Cumbria)

Maryport (Cumbria)

Out

Hensingham (Whitehaven)

w/o

6 other entrants received byes.

Round 2.

Hensingham (Whitehaven)

Distington (Workington)

Roose Pioneers (Barrow)

Out

w/o

Ulverston (Barrow)

Wath Brow Hornets ‘A’ (Whitehaven)

Walney Central (Barrow)

Seaton Rangers (Cumbria)

Semi-finals.

Ulverston (Barrow)

Hensingham (Whitehaven)

Walney Central (Barrow)

Final (at Distington ARLFC).

Hensingham (Whitehaven)

Walney Central (Barrow)

Hi,

From what I know at the start of the season the Cumbria Men’s League dispanded so all Barrow teams either went to NCL, back to the Barrow league or joined a new league

At the start of the season all West Cumbria teams formed the Iggesund Premier & division 1 leagues. At one of the league meetings the Cumbria Cup was drawn and it was stated that the Barrow side’s has not contacted to say they wanted to take part.

The next day the league sent a email out to say they had been contacted by BARLA who advised the Barrow League had applied to run the Cumbria Cup but the CARLA league who have run the cup for a long time where not informed by Barrow they wanted to do this .

All West Cumbria clubs were given the chance to still appear in this but the games would fall mid week and so turned this down.

Thanks for that Cumbria 1. I more or less guessed that this was the case. So the actually County cup was not competed for. Shame - I really miss the Lancashire cup. I can understand, as a traditionalist myself, Cumberland's stance with the Barrow clubs but I feel so sorry for the Barrow teams, all of which I have always found very welcoming. It must be so frustrating for them trying to get regular fixtures against quality sides. Wouldn't you have thought that somebody at BARLA would have said "Right, if you can't come to an agreement we will run the competition - here is the draw"!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived