Junior Kiwis v Junior Roos - freaky try

8 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Keep an eye out for a try from the Junior Kiwis just now. The halfback dropped the ball behind him and kicked it with his heel like a soccer player regathered and offloaded for a try. One of the more original pieces of play you’ll ever see.

Amaaaaaazing

38 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Keep an eye out for a try from the Junior Kiwis just now. The halfback dropped the ball behind him and kicked it with his heel like a soccer player regathered and offloaded for a try. One of the more original pieces of play you’ll ever see.

Hayne did something similar in the 2013 World Cup, he dropped it behind him but flicked it over his head before it touched the ground and caught it.

He was pulled up for it.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

15 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

It's in the Glossary top of page 6

Still struggling to find a pdf version.

only reference I can find is this? “
Kick
Making an intentional motion to kick the ball with any part of the leg (except the heel) from knee to toe inclusive’. An indicator is a change to the normal running gait.”

but that is not barring use of heel - it’s reference to offside rule and what constitutes a play at the ball. 

Okay - now found it “KICK - means making contact with the ball with any part of the leg (except the heel) from knee to toe inclusive.” This just defines a kick - it doesn’t outlaw use of the heel? 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:51 PM, The 4 of Us said:

Yes see end of my edited response above. It is not a rule outlawing use of heel in the same way as heading the ball forward is. 

You are right, T4OU, that use of the heel is not illegal; nor does playing the ball with the heel constitute a kick.  But surely the only way in which a player can play the ball forward, regather it after it has hit the ground and it not be a knock-on is if he kicks it forward.  He played the ball forward onto the ground, but didn't kick it.  Ergo, it's a knock-on.

I confess I didn't realise that striking the ball with the heel was not a kick.  is that the case in all versions of the rules (How I hate having to clarify that!)?

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Well no because there is a specific definition of a knock-on.

Knock On means to knock the ball towards the opponent's dead ball line with hand or arm.

So a knock on isnt to play the ball forward without kicking it. It is to knock the ball forward with hand or arm.

So if you havent knocked the ball forward with hand or arm you cannot knock it on even if you have played the ball forward without kicking it.

I assume that you arent allowed to kick it with the heel for some reason to do with a PTB but it seems a ridiculous rule and im not sure why we would need it these days.

Good point, scotchy 1 -  I stand corrected!  So it looks to have been quite legal.

Archived