NZ v Australia

What a game, 26 - 24 to the Kiwi's, score actually flattered the Kangaroos, but what a defensive effort they put in, anything less and the Kiwi's would have scored so much more, infact tgey had to very dubios decisions given against them by what I believe was the Aussie Bunker (maybe wrong) both adjudications were given as tries on the field. The intensity of the Kiwi team was none stop after a poor start conceeding a try after 2 mins and going in at half time with a 8 -12 deficit, Aussie scored on the last play of the first half.

After the game the Kiwi Capt DW-Z spoke about the building process that they have in place a number of guys were on debut and I would not expect any of the squad not to be available come the 2021 WC over here, this is in contrast to me of the England team selection, we should be building now in this upcoming series against NZ not trusting "old guard" men like James Graham and S.O'L and maybe Chris Hill, if we are still reliant on these guy's in 3 years time we will be in a sorry state, no disrepect they have been amongst our best in recent times but time to let go and bring in guy's for the future. I honestly believe it is the wrong policy utilising these player's against the Kiwi's if we win the series they will not be around in the future, if we lose the series either way it is a missed opportunity not to put 'hopefuls' in for the expierience that is/will be so much needed.

I watch nearly all of the televised NRL games and this test was 3 yards faster and much more intense by comparrison, on that respect it was 5 yards faster than SL, we need to expose our younger guy's to this type of football at every oppportunity to build for the next WC, winning that comp over here it will be the biggest boost the game in this country will acheive in a long time if not EVER, we should not be wasting valuable preperation time.

A very concerned England Rugby League supporter.

It was 26:24 in the women's test too this morning, but the Jillaroos were the victors in that match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I agree we need to be testing ourselves regularly against NZ and Australia and picking on form regardless of age.

The three years between each WC should be filled with International fixtures. Mid season tests against NH opposition, maybe used to play some of the younger players, then Tri Nations, 4 Nations or fixtures in a league format as mentioned on another thread at the end of every season. 

Lots of International RL which to me is the most exciting form of RL and helps build up the excitement between WCs as well as many other benefits to the wider game such as sponsorship, TV revenue, media profile and increasing the profile of RL

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

After the game the Kiwi Capt DW-Z spoke about the building process that they have in place a number of guys were on debut and I would not expect any of the squad not to be available come the 2021 WC over here, this is in contrast to me of the England team selection, we should be building now in this upcoming series against NZ not trusting "old guard" men like James Graham and S.O'L and maybe Chris Hill, if we are still reliant on these guy's in 3 years time we will be in a sorry state, no disrepect they have been amongst our best in recent times but time to let go and bring in guy's for the future. I honestly believe it is the wrong policy utilising these player's against the Kiwi's if we win the series they will not be around in the future, if we lose the series either way it is a missed opportunity not to put 'hopefuls' in for the expierience that is/will be so much needed.

The England squad is a mix of experience and youth.

The average age of the four Kiwi props from today's test was 29.

The average age of the five props in the England squad (including James Graham and Chris Hill) is 28.

George Burgess, Tom Burgess and Luke Thompson are all younger than the four Kiwi props today and so we are hardly just picking the "old guard".

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just finished watching the highlights, and the Kiwis seem to be over whatever was ailing them. Very enthused and committed performance, apart from the wobbly period where the Kangaroos made the score look more respectable.

But the Kiwis' mojo looks to be back, and I can't wait for the Test series against England.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What a cracking but strange game.

After 10 minutes with the Aussies ripping the right hand side of the Kiwis defence to shreds I thought the Aussies would get 40 plus.

Partway through the first half when the Kiwis had about 10 continuous minutes on the Aussie line and couldnt score I thought they would remain scoreless all game.

When the Aussies scored a breakaway try with 10 seconds of the first half left to regain the lead I thought they would romp it in the second half.

At 26-12 when I thought Smith scored I hoped the Kiwis would get 40.

And then the finish.

International RL rarely disappoints.

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Agreed. Luke Keary looked like an Academy player out there. 

That's a bit of harsh judgement I think.  He lasted less than a quarter of the game before he was forced from the field with a head knock and the Kiwi's were scoreless when he left the pitch.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

International rugby league is so far superior to any State of origin it’s just not funny!

The best players in the world all used to play SOO; it’s now not the case with top quality players littered across Aus, NZ, Tonga, England et al.

Just now, Dunbar said:

That's a bit of harsh judgement I think.  He lasted less than a quarter of the game before he was forced from the field with a head knock and the Kiwi's were scoreless when he left the pitch.

Was struggling to cope with the intensity before the head knock. Probably not unrelated 

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Was struggling to cope with the intensity before the head knock. Probably not unrelated 

You think so?

DCE and keary were split left/right with Keary on the left.  In the first 15 minutes Australia ripped New Zealand to pieces through the Australian left edge with one try and a couple of breaks.  Then Keary went off and that side of the Kangaroos didn't look as dangerous.

Absolute belter of a game. First few minutes had me thinking we were in for another Aussie cakewalk but the Kiwi domination of the rest of the game was almost total. Speaks volumes for the quality of the players in the Australian side that they even got close to rescuing it.

This NZ side is packed with quality. Looking forward to the test series even more now.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

10 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Who’s our left centre? The kiwi right one is immense.

Well, in the World Cup final it was John Bateman.  But Wayne Bennett gets ripped to pieces on this board for picking a defensive option in the centre.

Haka led by autistic cousin caps off stunning night for Kiwis' Brandon Smith

If there's any footage of this it should be used to introduce the next WC.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Wow. What a game. Despite the Ref not giving a two tries for NZ that at least one was clear they Won! 

Beating Oz is rare, so any win over them is huge. 

Oz made it close at the end, a 2pt difference doesn't reflect the Game. To anyone who questions the significance of half backs see how DCE makes a strange choice to kick long on the 78th minute, Cronk may have done something else. 

All in all a very good game and a good result. The RFL should sell some more tickets now.

Next week I feel Tonga without the halves of NZ will be a close win for Oz... 

The series in England probably 2-1 to NZ. We have no great options at half back and it will tell..... 

2 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

The series in England probably 2-1 to NZ. We have no great options at half back and it will tell..... 

They do look a well balanced and well structured outfit.

Jackson Hastings could be a decent alternative to putting a forward at scrum-half!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

They do look a well balanced and well structured outfit.

Jackson Hastings could be a decent alternative to putting a forward at scrum-half!

Given our options, it's probably Hodgson isn't it? To play with Williams and Roby at Hooker. Tomkins off the bench and to cover Half back or to start at FB and move onto the halves. Ratchford maybe at FB. Personally I don't see Lomax as effective at international level. 

Hastings would be worth a look at. I know it's rushed however any player who has started at half back for a top NRL side and isn't physically too old has to be seen as a a legit option to be looked at.       I still don't like grandparent qualification though! 

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

Precisely!

Unfortunately, most rugby league fans in Australia still don’t understand that! 

It's changing.

Look at the Dally M team of the year. It's the least Australian team in a long time, possibly ever.

I'm loving it.

new rise.jpg

Archived