Scotland, Ireland squads for Euros

Given its just round the Corner and that the Irish have changed coach and selection policy does anyone know who will be playing for the Celtic nations? 

Its not a world Cup year or a 4N so I imagine Scotland may find it harder to get stars to turn out.... 

29 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Do we have any idea of the ratio of heritage to first generation Irish?

Looks pretty even split to me, 50-50. Some notable omissions from the WC, particularly in the forwards where they look a bit light, without Amor, McIllorum and McCarthy Scarsbrook.

It looks a good mix in that squad though, with plenty of youth, they'll certainly hold their own and stand a reasonable chance of qualifying in the top 2

14 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I get that they want more Irish players but is this responsible putting complete amateurs up against seasoned pros? 

An old chestnut. There's a chance an amateur team may come up against seasoned pros in the Cup. They seem to manage OK.

rldfsignature.jpg

23 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I get that they want more Irish players but is this responsible putting complete amateurs up against seasoned pros? 

Its actually possible to put together a 17 from that squad made up of all players who play in the professional or semipro structure. There's a couple of the backs slots filled with players playing out of position, but they could theoretically line up

1. Greg McNally
2. Ethan Ryan
3. James Bentley
4. Api Pewhairangi
5. Luke Hooley
6. Joe Keyes 
7. Liam Finn
8. Michael Ward
9. Declan O’Donnell
10. Lewis Bienek
11. Tyrone McCarthy
12. George King
13. Scott Grix

14. Liam Byrne
15. Will Hope
16. Pat Moran
17. Callum Mulkeen

Not saying they'll do this, because the Irish have already said they want to play home-grown players, but that squad isn't quite as raw as what it might seem at first glance

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Would it not help to have a pathway similar to England and the England Knights? 

Most of them play fairly high level amateur (possibly semi-pro) Union. They're not exactly going to be facing off against the Kangaroos either...

I understand they wanted to boost the numbers of locals which is fair enough, time will tell if it pays dividends longer term. But what criteria did they use for which pros they picked and which they didn't? Cos it seems to me they left out the ones that you really need to set a platform in an  international game vs France etc , like McIllorum, LMS and Amor. 

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Anyone know why Matty Hadden and Mikey Russell haven't been selected?

I'm guessing Casey Dunne has hung his boots up?........

Mikey had to go back to Ireland and only made a couple of appearances for the Bears this year. I believe he's taking time out now but has been playing Junior RU in Ireland. Not sure about Hadden. 

Bears player Peter Ryan has been selected after a very promising first season in League one though and I hope he gets a run out. 

8 hours ago, damp squib said:

Most of them play fairly high level amateur (possibly semi-pro) Union. They're not exactly going to be facing off against the Kangaroos either...

No, just a France team made up of seasoned pros from Super League and the higher echelons of the Championship. Not quite Australia but in comparison to playing amateur RL on a Saturday afternoon in a park or RU club in Ireland, France may as well be Australia. 

12 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Its actually possible to put together a 17 from that squad made up of all players who play in the professional or semipro structure. There's a couple of the backs slots filled with players playing out of position, but they could theoretically line up

1. Greg McNally
2. Ethan Ryan
3. James Bentley
4. Api Pewhairangi
5. Luke Hooley
6. Joe Keyes 
7. Liam Finn
8. Michael Ward
9. Declan O’Donnell
10. Lewis Bienek
11. Tyrone McCarthy
12. George King
13. Scott Grix

14. Liam Byrne
15. Will Hope
16. Pat Moran
17. Callum Mulkeen

Not saying they'll do this, because the Irish have already said they want to play home-grown players, but that squad isn't quite as raw as what it might seem at first glance

Home grown players is the way forward for Ireland, Scotland and Wales

Given the state of the game in Scotland they have no business playing in this tournament. If anything they should have been in the ENWC. I'm pretty sure they had a warning before the last RLWC and yet here they are. They don't meet even the minimum requirements for playing.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Looks perhaps marginally stronger than Ireland's but not sure if all those Australian based Scottish players will make it over....................does the train-on squad get reduced?

A 35 man squad seems excessively large for a 3 match series

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Looks perhaps marginally stronger than Ireland's but not sure if all those Australian based Scottish players will make it over....................does the train-on squad get reduced?

A 35 man squad seems excessively large for a 3 match series

Pretty sure they get cut down to 23 odd players.

17 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Home grown players is the way forward for Ireland, Scotland and Wales

Can't agree. Unless you are a celt, you can't understand how strong is the pull towards your ethnic heritage. The same goes for West Indian, Indian and Pakistani ethnicity in other sports.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 10/15/2018 at 1:54 PM, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Would it not help to have a pathway similar to England and the England Knights? 

Isn't this what happened when a league club signed a union player? 

Are they amateur only in pay?

Define the difference and if it's only the pay....

What's the difference between a semi pro and an amateur player?

Are the amateur NCL players better than the semi pro expansion clubs? If so is it unfair to play league1 vs NCL as the NCL clubs players would get hurt playing against far superior semi pro players?

Was all the pro players amateur until they got a break?

Who did the England Knights play against? 

Archived