Superleague is becoming boring.

As a diehard RL fan, I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the Superleague is getting really boring. It's the same couple of teams who win the competition every year - one year Wigan, next year Leeds, then Wigan, then Leeds and so on. So much for the salary cap evening things up - it's just not happening. And it's not sour grapes from a Saints fan as I would love to see other teams make the final as well as us. Something has got to change - it's just becoming very dull.

5 minutes ago, SaintGeoff said:

As a diehard RL fan, I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the Superleague is getting really boring. It's the same couple of teams who win the competition every year - one year Wigan, next year Leeds, then Wigan, then Leeds and so on. So much for the salary cap evening things up - it's just not happening. And it's not sour grapes from a Saints fan as I would love to see other teams make the final as well as us. Something has got to change - it's just becoming very dull.

Noticed that you didn't include the five times that your team have won it. Or wasn't it 'boring' those years?

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Noticed that you didn't include the five times that your team have won it. Or wasn't it 'boring' those years?

It's never been massively competitive across all teams but in those early years there was strong competition from Leeds, Saints, Bradford and Wigan. Over the last 10 years it's been mainly Leeds and Wigan. As I said in my initial comment, I would love to see a team like Hull or Castleford win the competition.

15 minutes ago, SaintGeoff said:

I guarantee two things. 

Firstly had saints won you wouldn’t have thought it boring even though they’ve won quite a few times. 

And secondly neither wigan or Leeds will lift that trophy next year. 

3 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

And secondly neither wigan or Leeds will lift that trophy next year. 

I'd agree with Leeds, they looks miles off at present. But Wigan will be in the mix, if only because there aren't really a whole lot of teams that look ready to challenge their dominance.

Who do you think will win it then?

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'd agree with Leeds, they looks miles off at present. But Wigan will be in the mix, if only because there aren't really a whole lot of teams that look ready to challenge their dominance.

Surely it will be Warringtons year?

21 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Probably saints, possibly finally the year of the wolf, maybe even the tigers as Powell is for my money the best coach in the league not Wane has gone. Also Cats will have some great players. Wigan won’t be a fraction of this year. An untried coach, the loss of Tomkins, Bateman et al and if he’s still playing SOL playing even less games. I think we’ll struggle to make the top 6

25 minutes ago, RidingPie said:

Probably saints, possibly finally the year of the wolf, maybe even the tigers as Powell is for my money the best coach in the league not Wane has gone. Also Cats will have some great players. Wigan won’t be a fraction of this year. An untried coach, the loss of Tomkins, Bateman et al and if he’s still playing SOL playing even less games. I think we’ll struggle to make the top 6

Saints the obvious choice, although Catalan at 16/1 look a decent bet to me.

1 hour ago, SaintGeoff said:

People like you are boring - Saints fans are rapidly becoming the most self pitying and pathetic in the game.

The Premier League has only had 5 different Champions since Superleague started. Leicester were a weird anomaly and neither Man City nor Chelsea would have won it without massive outside investment

This century there has only been 5 German Champions, 5 Spanish Champions and 5 Italian Champions, and I don't see the likes of Werder Bremen, Lazio or Deportivo winning it again any time soon

RL isn't in that bad of a place when it comes to diversity of Champions. 

44 minutes ago, Gorbals said:

The Premier League has only had 5 different Champions since Superleague started. Leicester were a weird anomaly and neither Man City nor Chelsea would have won it without massive outside investment

This century there has only been 5 German Champions, 5 Spanish Champions and 5 Italian Champions, and I don't see the likes of Werder Bremen, Lazio or Deportivo winning it again any time soon

RL isn't in that bad of a place when it comes to diversity of Champions. 

You have to remember though that only 4 teams have won the first division in our game since 1988/89 and in the last 30 years only 5 other teams have been runners up. That is just 9 teams out of a possible 60 places. I think people criticise it because super league will inevitably be compared to other rugby competitions of both codes where there are far more champions and so on the face of it would seem more competitive. 

I do totally agree with you though. Football does seem to be getting worse as well, at least in continental European leagues. Bayern Munich have won 6 titles in a row, juventus 7, psg 5 out of last 6 and Spain it just swaps between two teams and every decade or so another wins. Doesn't look like any of those teams are gonna be seriously challenged anytime soon either. Should give a shout out to Scottish football as well, only two different winners since 1984/85. Strange situation isn't it where the Premier league is probably the most competitive league and yet you can still basically pick the champion before a ball is kicked. 

I do think in some ways it is good to have a bit of dominance by some teams because then you get the excitement of the giant killing and what have you but at the same time the game can be seen as quite boring and predictable. Of course I would never want super league to become like American franchised sports where there are different winners almost every year. 

2 hours ago, SaintGeoff said:

Saints have been hugely entertaining this season. Far from boring.

49 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You have to remember though that only 4 teams have won the first division in our game since 1988/89 and in the last 30 years only 5 other teams have been runners up. ...snip

Good post. Between '64 and '72 inclusive there were 7 different Football League champions in 7 years. Liverpool, Man U, Man C, Leeds, Everton, Arsenal, Derby (although Leeds finished 2nd 4 times and should have dominated the era!)

Considering the footprint of the game and its limited scope in terms of how many pro-teams it can sustain, 4 different Champions in the SL era along with Cas, Hudds, Wire and Hull, who wouldn't have looked out of place as Champions, is alright, even if it is salary capped and decided by playoffs

I also kind of like the dynamic of Leeds and Wigan being formidable in finals. Makes 2015 even sweeter and adds an extra dimension when a potential new Champion faces them in the GF. It's almost becoming a hoodoo, a new piece of folklore, an extra mental hurdle any pretender has to overcome

RL has found a sweet spot between the closed shop processions of European football and the arbitrary nature of the US franchise model leagues IMO

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I was hoping there would be a negative thread tonight.......

Well, this particular thread subject is a hardy perennial, so I'd have been shocked if it hadn't appeared... even if Warrington had won tonight.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It certainly looks bad compared to the NRL with all but 4 teams winning it since '98.

The problem is the business side of things. Most clubs can't spend their full salary cap. There are the 3 or 4 that can and they are the ones who have won the final.

The English's difficulty in growing the game and therefore the money involved is what's holding it back. 

new rise.jpg

10 hours ago, SaintGeoff said:

Everything was more fun when I was young.

Clearly, everything has changed apart from me.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

You have to remember though that only 4 teams have won the first division in our game since 1988/89 and in the last 30 years only 5 other teams have been runners up. That is just 9 teams out of a possible 60 places. I think people criticise it because super league will inevitably be compared to other rugby competitions of both codes where there are far more champions and so on the face of it would seem more competitive. 

I do totally agree with you though. Football does seem to be getting worse as well, at least in continental European leagues. Bayern Munich have won 6 titles in a row, juventus 7, psg 5 out of last 6 and Spain it just swaps between two teams and every decade or so another wins. Doesn't look like any of those teams are gonna be seriously challenged anytime soon either. Should give a shout out to Scottish football as well, only two different winners since 1984/85. Strange situation isn't it where the Premier league is probably the most competitive league and yet you can still basically pick the champion before a ball is kicked. 

I do think in some ways it is good to have a bit of dominance by some teams because then you get the excitement of the giant killing and what have you but at the same time the game can be seen as quite boring and predictable. Of course I would never want super league to become like American franchised sports where there are different winners almost every year. 

When the Premier League was launched, the Big Five were Liverpool, Everton, Manchester Uniter, Tottenham and Arsenal.  All that has changed since then are Chelsea and Man City gained rich benefactors.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived