Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

NZ Test Series - ticket sales

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If we want to celebrate numbers, Dave Woods said we averaged 1.4m and peaked at 1.7m, which is excellent, particularly on BBC2.

More than the first game on BBC1. Word must be spreading. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East Stand upper tier at Elland Road has come on and gone off sale today. It's almost like they don't know what they're doing.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

This tweet did make me laugh. This attendance was not something to celebrate. It was a failure, although I am glad those who went enjoyed it and it came across well on TV, but that doesn't change the fact that the number was very poor. I get that you and your buddies want to take the credit for making this a success, but let's look at a few facts here.

1. The last four heartland games vs the Kiwis before this series averaged 24k and all sold out. Hence the move to a bigger ground, where we managed to cram in a further 2k into the extra 30k seats.

2. The Kiwis have played in the heartlands in front of bigger crowds than this as recent as 2 years ago - 40k at the same ground, against another neutral team! They also played in front of 74k at Old Trafford in 2013, 26.5k in Leeds in 2005 and 44k in 2000.

3. When you then look outside of the heartlands, this fixture has seen 44k in 2015, 67k in 2013 - when GB were the main team they got 36k at Wembley in 1993.

Whatever happens this weekend, this tournament has delivered a lower total attendance than the last series between these teams. To narrow the criteria as much as possible to make it look a success is silly.

Celebrate the outstanding Rugby, don't celebrate a stadium 48% to capacity. Those players deserve far better than that.

Wasn't the last game at Anfield a final along with OT! Also fans who like going to new stadiums would have swelled the crouds. Also knowing that it wasn't going to sell out would have a negative effect.

This game could have sold better but it was too big too soon.

It would have been better to go to 30k stadium and sell that out and so on.

Also having 3 games in the heartlands won't help. Neither will playing the kiwis 3 times.

People would travel if this was the only games vs kiwis.

A London game consistently draws big crowds. It's criminal there's no London game!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yipyee said:

Also having 3 games in the heartlands won't help. Neither will playing the kiwis 3 times.

 

If it was 3 times at home every 4 years it would be different, but there's been Denver, a 4N a couple of years back, a series before that. Lots of games against the same team for different reasons/trophies

It only happened for a few cycles, but for me they heyday of international RL was when the Ashes were every 4 years at Wembley, Leeds and Manchester. If that had got established it could have got as big as Origin in both hemispheres and Liverpool, Newcastle etc. would love to be bidding for a game (but for me I like the continuity of the obvious 3). The Ashes is already a huge brand. Madness that it isn't being exploited. 

The appetite for it in Aus might not be so great, in which case I still think an every-4-years Ashes in England could still be huge. It would be rare, like RU LIons tours, but potentially massive, like it was in the 90s

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bobbruce said:

It’s not that hard to get tickets for Liverpool or most premier league teams. Just turn up on match day and there is usually some available. 

My partner knew someone that would wait outside grounds and ask for tickets from people refused entry or who were being detained or taken away by police or security. Apparently he had great success.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, M j M said:

East Stand upper tier at Elland Road has come on and gone off sale today. It's almost like they don't know what they're doing.

Maybe it sold out in record time?


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave T said:

This tweet did make me laugh. This attendance was not something to celebrate. It was a failure, although I am glad those who went enjoyed it and it came across well on TV, but that doesn't change the fact that the number was very poor. I get that you and your buddies want to take the credit for making this a success, but let's look at a few facts here.

1. The last four heartland games vs the Kiwis before this series averaged 24k and all sold out. Hence the move to a bigger ground, where we managed to cram in a further 2k into the extra 30k seats.

2. The Kiwis have played in the heartlands in front of bigger crowds than this as recent as 2 years ago - 40k at the same ground, against another neutral team! They also played in front of 74k at Old Trafford in 2013, 26.5k in Leeds in 2005 and 44k in 2000.

3. When you then look outside of the heartlands, this fixture has seen 44k in 2015, 67k in 2013 - when GB were the main team they got 36k at Wembley in 1993.

Whatever happens this weekend, this tournament has delivered a lower total attendance than the last series between these teams. To narrow the criteria as much as possible to make it look a success is silly.

Celebrate the outstanding Rugby, don't celebrate a stadium 48% to capacity. Those players deserve far better than that.

What are the heartlands anyway? London have more clubs than Liverpool. 

Seemed a tedious record to push for me. Especially when that Ground got plenty more in for a game not involving England not so long ago

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the crowd looked ok on TV and the atmosphere came across pretty well. But trying to spin a less than 50% crowd as some sort of record achievement is ludicrous.

You could use this logic to argue that the recent CC Final wasn't a low attendance but was actually a record one for a CC final won by a French side. 

Played in North London.

In August.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I thought the crowd looked ok on TV and the atmosphere came across pretty well. But trying to spin a less than 50% crowd as some sort of record achievement is ludicrous.

You could use this logic to argue that the recent CC Final wasn't a low attendance but was actually a record one for a CC final won by a French side. 

Played in North London.

In August.

But facts are facts and the crowd at Anfield was the biggest for a England vs New Zealand fixture in the North since 1947. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

But facts are facts and the crowd at Anfield was the biggest for a England vs New Zealand fixture in the North since 1947. 

 

It was also the worst RL crowd at Anfield in the past 5 years.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It was also the worst RL crowd at Anfield in the past 5 years.... 

Don't make Mick sad. He's on one of his happy swings of the pendulum right now.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It was also the worst RL crowd at Anfield in the past 5 years.... 

Disagree. Where we were sitting, the crowd was  good.  Polite, friendly, well dressed, respectful........

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

But facts are facts and the crowd at Anfield was the biggest for a England vs New Zealand fixture in the North since 1947. 

 

And way lower than a recent game there not involving England? Nothing much to shout about really mate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Dave T said:

If we want to celebrate numbers, Dave Woods said we averaged 1.4m and peaked at 1.7m, which is excellent, particularly on BBC2.

They are great figures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

And way lower than a recent game there not involving England? Nothing much to shout about really mate.

Now I'm not saying the crowd was a huge success but I think you're being a bit harsh here, you can spin things and it really is better tweeting a positive rather than moaning, personally if i had tweeted that I would have left it at the fact and not tweeted the actual crowd figure, that's proper spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Now I'm not saying the crowd was a huge success but I think you're being a bit harsh here, you can spin things and it really is better tweeting a positive rather than moaning, personally if i had tweeted that I would have left it at the fact and not tweeted the actual crowd figure, that's proper spin.

But why mention it at all? It's nothing to boast about. Just stick to the infield action in cases like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But why mention it at all? It's nothing to boast about. Just stick to the infield action in cases like this.

I probably wouldn't but, It's called positive spin, I know positivity isn't the done thing in RL circles.

If someone with a passing interest in the sport read a tweet that said it was the biggest attendance since 1947, they would probably just take that as read and not go delving into the actual figures, thats how marketing works, highlight the positives not the negatives, I know it may shock but generally people aren't obsessed with counting crowd figures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well after not being able to get the ticket I wanted in Hull and then Anfield moving dates when travel/accommodation had been booked I’ve finally finally got tickets for a game this week!! Hurrah! Looking forward to it!

Edited by Odsal Outlaw

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Disagree. Where we were sitting, the crowd was  good.  Polite, friendly, well dressed, respectful........

Liverpool does seem very classy when you are from Wigan.

  • Haha 5

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thehullram said:

@englandrl are actually doing some really good stuff on Twitter. Just a few months too late. It does feel as though the RFL can only sell one thing at a time. 

How many times is that being viewed or shared? I’d suggest like the Facebook posts, they are targeting small groups of people interested already on social media; the game’s own echo chamber. The message isn’t getting wider than that via social media. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

How many times is that being viewed or shared? I’d suggest like the Facebook posts, they are targeting small groups of people interested already on social media; the game’s own echo chamber. The message isn’t getting wider than that via social media. 

The joe.co.uk twitter video has been watched over 110,000 times, the Facebook nearly 1/4 million. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I probably wouldn't but, It's called positive spin, I know positivity isn't the done thing in RL circles.

If someone with a passing interest in the sport read a tweet that said it was the biggest attendance since 1947, they would probably just take that as read and not go delving into the actual figures, thats how marketing works, highlight the positives not the negatives, I know it may shock but generally people aren't obsessed with counting crowd figures.

They'd probably see all the empty spaces actually and think it wasn't that big a deal. People aren't obsessed with crowd figures (well some might be) but losing so many spectators in a short space of time can't be swept under the carpet and accepted. And if it is, RL will deserve to struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

They'd probably see all the empty spaces actually and think it wasn't that big a deal. People aren't obsessed with crowd figures (well some might be) but losing so many spectators in a short space of time can't be swept under the carpet and accepted. And if it is, RL will deserve to struggle.

It shouldn’t be swept under the carpet - by the administration, I’m not sure people tweeting at the game have any responsibility, there’s nothing wrong with someone putting a positive spin on it, if it was the RFL coming out saying the first two attendances have been good it’d be different 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Disagree. Where we were sitting, the crowd was  good.  Polite, friendly, well dressed, respectful........

That's absolutely true. Someone on Twitter said they snapped this shot of the Kenny Dalglish stand, just as England scored that last try:

 

 

crowd.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...