Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

NZ Test Series - ticket sales

22 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Could be people desperate to visit Anfield but can't get tickets for a Liverpool game.

It’s not that hard to get tickets for Liverpool or most premier league teams. Just turn up on match day and there is usually some available. 

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Tell you what, all these other so called sports don't have the fun of seat counting do they? They just put tickets on sale and its a given they will sell out. They will never know the utter feeling of ecstacy when a new block is put on sale or the undying pleasure when a block gets that beautiful, jet black colour of the sold out block, the elegance of a block of maroon dots with just a handful of single, lime seats left after a slow morning when it looked like said block would be empty, would be an embarrassment, a travesty on the TV but all that feeling of shame taken away when someone at the RFL decides to update the seating chart a few weeks late and actually change the colour of the sold out seats. Rugby league really is the greatest game..! 

The NRL should take note when SoO comes around.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, SilentAssassin said:

close to 35k would be a great crowd for what is now a dead rubber.

Typical of the RFL. Why oh why do they insist upon organising dead rubbers?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

23 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Great to see this record broken today, although it will be broken by this time next week with over 26,000 tickets already sold for Elland Road.

This tweet did make me laugh. This attendance was not something to celebrate. It was a failure, although I am glad those who went enjoyed it and it came across well on TV, but that doesn't change the fact that the number was very poor. I get that you and your buddies want to take the credit for making this a success, but let's look at a few facts here.

1. The last four heartland games vs the Kiwis before this series averaged 24k and all sold out. Hence the move to a bigger ground, where we managed to cram in a further 2k into the extra 30k seats.

2. The Kiwis have played in the heartlands in front of bigger crowds than this as recent as 2 years ago - 40k at the same ground, against another neutral team! They also played in front of 74k at Old Trafford in 2013, 26.5k in Leeds in 2005 and 44k in 2000.

3. When you then look outside of the heartlands, this fixture has seen 44k in 2015, 67k in 2013 - when GB were the main team they got 36k at Wembley in 1993.

Whatever happens this weekend, this tournament has delivered a lower total attendance than the last series between these teams. To narrow the criteria as much as possible to make it look a success is silly.

Celebrate the outstanding Rugby, don't celebrate a stadium 48% to capacity. Those players deserve far better than that.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

If we want to celebrate numbers, Dave Woods said we averaged 1.4m and peaked at 1.7m, which is excellent, particularly on BBC2.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If we want to celebrate numbers, Dave Woods said we averaged 1.4m and peaked at 1.7m, which is excellent, particularly on BBC2.

More than the first game on BBC1. Word must be spreading. 

• Like 1

East Stand upper tier at Elland Road has come on and gone off sale today. It's almost like they don't know what they're doing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Those are decent numbers, something that shows the importance of the international game in reaching new people. Its a desperate need for the game to reach these people and convert them to attending fans.

Its possibly a little too late but my hope is that SL/RFL have some kind of 'round' they choose to promote next week during they announce during the game. Like any opening round game for a fiver or something, or family tickets for £20 or something

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

This tweet did make me laugh. This attendance was not something to celebrate. It was a failure, although I am glad those who went enjoyed it and it came across well on TV, but that doesn't change the fact that the number was very poor. I get that you and your buddies want to take the credit for making this a success, but let's look at a few facts here.

1. The last four heartland games vs the Kiwis before this series averaged 24k and all sold out. Hence the move to a bigger ground, where we managed to cram in a further 2k into the extra 30k seats.

2. The Kiwis have played in the heartlands in front of bigger crowds than this as recent as 2 years ago - 40k at the same ground, against another neutral team! They also played in front of 74k at Old Trafford in 2013, 26.5k in Leeds in 2005 and 44k in 2000.

3. When you then look outside of the heartlands, this fixture has seen 44k in 2015, 67k in 2013 - when GB were the main team they got 36k at Wembley in 1993.

Whatever happens this weekend, this tournament has delivered a lower total attendance than the last series between these teams. To narrow the criteria as much as possible to make it look a success is silly.

Celebrate the outstanding Rugby, don't celebrate a stadium 48% to capacity. Those players deserve far better than that.

Wasn't the last game at Anfield a final along with OT! Also fans who like going to new stadiums would have swelled the crouds. Also knowing that it wasn't going to sell out would have a negative effect.

This game could have sold better but it was too big too soon.

It would have been better to go to 30k stadium and sell that out and so on.

Also having 3 games in the heartlands won't help. Neither will playing the kiwis 3 times.

People would travel if this was the only games vs kiwis.

A London game consistently draws big crowds. It's criminal there's no London game!

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

Also having 3 games in the heartlands won't help. Neither will playing the kiwis 3 times.

If it was 3 times at home every 4 years it would be different, but there's been Denver, a 4N a couple of years back, a series before that. Lots of games against the same team for different reasons/trophies

It only happened for a few cycles, but for me they heyday of international RL was when the Ashes were every 4 years at Wembley, Leeds and Manchester. If that had got established it could have got as big as Origin in both hemispheres and Liverpool, Newcastle etc. would love to be bidding for a game (but for me I like the continuity of the obvious 3). The Ashes is already a huge brand. Madness that it isn't being exploited. 

The appetite for it in Aus might not be so great, in which case I still think an every-4-years Ashes in England could still be huge. It would be rare, like RU LIons tours, but potentially massive, like it was in the 90s

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bobbruce said:

It’s not that hard to get tickets for Liverpool or most premier league teams. Just turn up on match day and there is usually some available. 

My partner knew someone that would wait outside grounds and ask for tickets from people refused entry or who were being detained or taken away by police or security. Apparently he had great success.

Edited by Copa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, M j M said:

East Stand upper tier at Elland Road has come on and gone off sale today. It's almost like they don't know what they're doing.

Maybe it sold out in record time?

rldfsignature.jpg

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

What are the heartlands anyway? London have more clubs than Liverpool. 

Seemed a tedious record to push for me. Especially when that Ground got plenty more in for a game not involving England not so long ago

• Like 2

I thought the crowd looked ok on TV and the atmosphere came across pretty well. But trying to spin a less than 50% crowd as some sort of record achievement is ludicrous.

You could use this logic to argue that the recent CC Final wasn't a low attendance but was actually a record one for a CC final won by a French side. 

Played in North London.

In August.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I thought the crowd looked ok on TV and the atmosphere came across pretty well. But trying to spin a less than 50% crowd as some sort of record achievement is ludicrous.

You could use this logic to argue that the recent CC Final wasn't a low attendance but was actually a record one for a CC final won by a French side. 

Played in North London.

In August.

But facts are facts and the crowd at Anfield was the biggest for a England vs New Zealand fixture in the North since 1947. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

But facts are facts and the crowd at Anfield was the biggest for a England vs New Zealand fixture in the North since 1947. 

It was also the worst RL crowd at Anfield in the past 5 years.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Don't make Mick sad. He's on one of his happy swings of the pendulum right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Disagree. Where we were sitting, the crowd was  good.  Polite, friendly, well dressed, respectful........

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 2

Four legs good - two legs bad

20 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

And way lower than a recent game there not involving England? Nothing much to shout about really mate.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dave T said:

They are great figures.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

And way lower than a recent game there not involving England? Nothing much to shout about really mate.

Now I'm not saying the crowd was a huge success but I think you're being a bit harsh here, you can spin things and it really is better tweeting a positive rather than moaning, personally if i had tweeted that I would have left it at the fact and not tweeted the actual crowd figure, that's proper spin.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Now I'm not saying the crowd was a huge success but I think you're being a bit harsh here, you can spin things and it really is better tweeting a positive rather than moaning, personally if i had tweeted that I would have left it at the fact and not tweeted the actual crowd figure, that's proper spin.

But why mention it at all? It's nothing to boast about. Just stick to the infield action in cases like this.

11 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But why mention it at all? It's nothing to boast about. Just stick to the infield action in cases like this.

I probably wouldn't but, It's called positive spin, I know positivity isn't the done thing in RL circles.

If someone with a passing interest in the sport read a tweet that said it was the biggest attendance since 1947, they would probably just take that as read and not go delving into the actual figures, thats how marketing works, highlight the positives not the negatives, I know it may shock but generally people aren't obsessed with counting crowd figures.

• Like 1

Well after not being able to get the ticket I wanted in Hull and then Anfield moving dates when travel/accommodation had been booked I’ve finally finally got tickets for a game this week!! Hurrah! Looking forward to it!

Edited by Odsal Outlaw

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004