Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

NZ Test Series - ticket sales

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Disagree. Where we were sitting, the crowd was  good.  Polite, friendly, well dressed, respectful........

Liverpool does seem very classy when you are from Wigan.

• Haha 5

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, thehullram said:

@englandrl are actually doing some really good stuff on Twitter. Just a few months too late. It does feel as though the RFL can only sell one thing at a time. 

How many times is that being viewed or shared? I’d suggest like the Facebook posts, they are targeting small groups of people interested already on social media; the game’s own echo chamber. The message isn’t getting wider than that via social media. 

16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

How many times is that being viewed or shared? I’d suggest like the Facebook posts, they are targeting small groups of people interested already on social media; the game’s own echo chamber. The message isn’t getting wider than that via social media. 

The joe.co.uk twitter video has been watched over 110,000 times, the Facebook nearly 1/4 million. 

4 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I probably wouldn't but, It's called positive spin, I know positivity isn't the done thing in RL circles.

If someone with a passing interest in the sport read a tweet that said it was the biggest attendance since 1947, they would probably just take that as read and not go delving into the actual figures, thats how marketing works, highlight the positives not the negatives, I know it may shock but generally people aren't obsessed with counting crowd figures.

They'd probably see all the empty spaces actually and think it wasn't that big a deal. People aren't obsessed with crowd figures (well some might be) but losing so many spectators in a short space of time can't be swept under the carpet and accepted. And if it is, RL will deserve to struggle.

25 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

They'd probably see all the empty spaces actually and think it wasn't that big a deal. People aren't obsessed with crowd figures (well some might be) but losing so many spectators in a short space of time can't be swept under the carpet and accepted. And if it is, RL will deserve to struggle.

It shouldn’t be swept under the carpet - by the administration, I’m not sure people tweeting at the game have any responsibility, there’s nothing wrong with someone putting a positive spin on it, if it was the RFL coming out saying the first two attendances have been good it’d be different 

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Disagree. Where we were sitting, the crowd was  good.  Polite, friendly, well dressed, respectful........

That's absolutely true. Someone on Twitter said they snapped this shot of the Kenny Dalglish stand, just as England scored that last try:

crowd.gif

• Haha 1

Looks like there’s only around 1000 tickets left unsold of the ones that are available for sale. So looks around 29000 sold so far then. With over 4 days left till game day we should top the 30000 mark.  

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

It shouldn’t be swept under the carpet - by the administration, I’m not sure people tweeting at the game have any responsibility, there’s nothing wrong with someone putting a positive spin on it, if it was the RFL coming out saying the first two attendances have been good it’d be different 

There is spin and then there is bs. 

Recent crowds for this game have been 24k (sellouts) in the North, and 44k and 67k in London. This drove us to hire a bigger ground to grow this. 

We made the most of this additional 30k seats by attracting an extra 2k, the other 28k remained unused.

Mick and his chums have gone on some kind of weird crusade, knocking anyone for perceived negativity about the rubbish crowds - this awesome spin machine even led Garreth Carvell to declare the crowd as 'awesome', 'outstanding', and 'the 2nd highest England crowd since the 50's'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Recent crowds for this game have been 24k (sellouts) in the North, and 44k and 67k in London. This drove us to hire a bigger ground to grow this. 

We made the most of this additional 30k seats by attracting an extra 2k, the other 28k remained unused.

Mick and his chums have gone on some kind of weird crusade, knocking anyone for perceived negativity about the rubbish crowds - this awesome spin machine even led Garreth Carvell to declare the crowd as 'awesome', 'outstanding', and 'the 2nd highest England crowd since the 50's'.

Second highest England vs New Zealand crowd in the North since 1947. Fantastic achievement. 

1 minute ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Second highest England vs New Zealand crowd in the North since 1947. Fantastic achievement. 

You said it was biggest since 1947.

Now second highest since 1947?

And Carvell didn't say that, he messed up.

2 years ago we got 24k for this game. Are you genuinely saying adding 2.3k is a 'fantastic achievement?

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

The crowd would have been good or great in a 27K stadium. I just don't understand the idea behind booking larger stadia and not even aiming to fill them. It is senseless.

On 11/4/2018 at 6:18 PM, Man of Kent said:

England games are how I got into rugby league. It’s the gateway drug. I’m now a full-blown addict.

My take on today was it felt much more like a big game than the first Test.

There were ‘fan helpers’ at Lime Street (and loads at Anfield) whereas at Hull station you would never have known the match was on.

The atmosphere was also much better (helped by a simply wonderful Test match). It’s a big ground but tight. 

And people like being there. It’s quite glamorous. 

I would definitely hold a Kangaroos Test there in 2020. You’d be looking at least 40k, maybe 50k or even a sellout with competent administrators.

You didn't really need helpers as there are signs everywhere for the KCOM, plus the park and ride. The stadium is on the same road that the train station exits out of.

As for atmosphere, despite the early try, the awful officiating (for both sides) and stop start didn't really help. When we had 24k in 2015 and 25k against Fiji in '13 it was a fantastic atmosphere, far far better than the one this time around and of all the internationals I've been to there this was the flattest.

Having a second game in Yorkshire meant this was the game that was in danger of losing some of the West Yorkshire support and I think that was fairly obvious when the fixtures were announced. I would have made both the KCOM and a game in London and taken some friends to the London game but as it happens that was a non starter.

This was huge glaring error, to then not support the actual first game in terms of marketing it (which has been covered elsewhere) is a disgrace. I've no idea how much Anfield cost to use but given the 18,000 lost ticket sales compared to the Olympic stadium in '15 plus the 6k down at Hull, it's astounding that people are still giving any praise to the organisers and saying that 26k is even ok. It was poop, less than half a stadium, I would not take a test back there again, it was an abject failure from a ticket sales POV. The only reason there will be good sales for Leeds is that there was a decent performance and fans are buoyed, a dismal loss at Anfield and the gate wouldn't reach 25k at ER.

Hopefully sense will prevail and we get a London fixture for the next big set of games, don't mind if there's one in Leeds but can see that Hull will get 'punished' for not maxing out the ground.

• Like 2

Just bought a pair of tickets in the west stand. Not many left now. 

We have 7 of us already going and this makes 9. There was only 1 seat available in the east stand this morning 

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The crowd would have been good or great in a 27K stadium. I just don't understand the idea behind booking larger stadia and not even aiming to fill them. It is senseless.

It's not difficult. People want to go to world class stadia that's why you got 26k even with little to marketing in Anfield and only 17k in Hull

You can't just transplant one crowd into a smaller stadium because the reason why a lot of people go is because of the location  and stadium.

It was booked because they got 40k for the last RL game staged there, but it was because of an utter failure that the managed to only get 26k.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

So would you have prefered Mick to tweet that it was a rubbish crowd? Which makes the sport look worse to people?

I understand your frustrations at how the RFL have promoted and their uselessness at organising this test series, but having a go at someone like Mick for daring to try and post something positive seems a little odd.

I’d ‘spin’ it around and say you seem to have some weird crusade against anyone who says something positive.

57 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

It's not difficult. People want to go to world class stadia that's why you got 26k even with little to marketing in Anfield and only 17k in Hull

You can't just transplant one crowd into a smaller stadium because the reason why a lot of people go is because of the location  and stadium.

It was booked because they got 40k for the last RL game staged there, but it was because of an utter failure that the managed to only get 26k.

If the limit of your ambitions is 25K, you don't go booking stadiums that hold 50K, however glamorous they might be.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So would you have prefered Mick to tweet that it was a rubbish crowd?

Mick has always been at war with Eurasia.

There are positives to take - and positive stories to make - that don't rely on distorting reality.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Only really section B1 with significant amounts of tickets left for Sunday ... come on RFL, back yourselves, open the top tier!!! ??

969BA1C6-DBDD-481F-BF1D-918C8C4B7BF3.jpeg

• Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

You said it was biggest since 1947.

Now second highest since 1947?

And Carvell didn't say that, he messed up.

2 years ago we got 24k for this game. Are you genuinely saying adding 2.3k is a 'fantastic achievement?

If you  include the 42,000 that were at Odsal in December 1947 for England's 25-9 win over New Zealand, then it’s the highest since 1947. 

I have no idea what Gareth Carvell was tweeting about, but I corrected him on Twitter. 

The crowd on Sunday will beat last weeks, so the Anfield record will fall.

Another new England v New Zealand crowd record to shout about. 

23 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

If you  include the 42,000 that were at Odsal in December 1947 for England's 25-9 win over New Zealand, then it’s the highest since 1947. 

I have no idea what that sentence means.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

I have no idea what Gareth Carvell was tweeting about, but I corrected him on Twitter. 

You do realise that the crowd the other day wasn't a record crowd don't you? Something being higher than since the previous higher one isn't a record, this is sort of my point!!!!

Every game will be the highest since the previous highest (unless of course it is a genuine record!).

The selective nature of your 'records' is just odd. It is disingenuous. 

If we look down history of Eng/GB tests versus New Zealand in this country, we see:

> The Anfield game slots in in 10th place, with 6 of the 9 above being staged after this 1947 date you have plucked from the air.

> The Hull game slots in in 33rd place. I won't say anymore on that one.

> The average for the last Test Series three years ago was 30.9k - if we get 37k this weekend we will average 26.9k (13% drop), or the more likely 31k sees a 20% drop for the series. This game will probably slot in around 6/7/8th.

It is not positive going out manipulating figures to polish a ######. The quality of RL has been outstanding, the numbes from the BBC appear to be very good, the RFL's job of selling tickets has been an outright failure - which should be a massive worry when we are making all sorts of bold claims about the 2021 World Cup.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

If the limit of your ambitions is 25K, you don't go booking stadiums that hold 50K, however glamorous they might be.

Well Im sure that wasn't the target.

I assume they thought they could get the 40k back with no or very little effort on there part.

But again it proves just like the Olympic stadium game you need to work extra hard to get them back the second time.

The second album  syndrome as it were

4 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

The attendances at Hull and Liverpool were pants.  The attendance at Leeds should be good.  That's it.  No records anywhere.  You don't regionalise attendance records in a country. It's ridiculous.

• Like 3

the way things are going we are going to have the best opportunity by far to win a WC since the Aussies came over with half a team in 95. If the RFL can't use that from here to make a  big success of 2021 then we should all pack it in.

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Well Im sure that wasn't the target.

I assume they thought they could get the 40k back with no or very little effort on there part.

But again it proves just like the Olympic stadium game you need to work extra hard to get them back the second time.

The second album  syndrome as it were

Agreed. But if we know that.....